The Student Room Group

Crossdressing at uni?

Hi,
I was just wondering how people would take to a crossdresser at university? I'm applying to Cambridge and St. Andrews. Do many/any people do this? Would there be others to support me?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think people would bully you for it personally... But of course a lot of people would support you. There's a lot of immature people even at in their mid 20s who act 12.
(edited 11 years ago)
You would be bullied definitely, keep it to yourself. For your own benefit and possibly your safety, a lot of ***** in this world, some more dangerous than others.
Hi,

I'm at St Andrews and I do know a guy who cross dresses. I think most people were initially surprised but they don't really care either. I don't think he's been bullied. I also know a student who had a sex change and people have been pretty supportive as far as I'm aware. I was initially surprised but then all I thought was "who cares?".
According to the failure to function adequately criterion of Psychology, transestivism is on the list of mental disorders and generally considered abnormal. Yet, that's just an insight I gained from my studies, yet this does lack valid evidence and can be critiqued in many ways.

Nevertheless, it is your choice, it won't have a massive impact on others lives. Just do it if you want to :smile: it's a free world. Cambridge/St Andrews will not be surrounded by 'idiot's' but instead smart people who have note to their mind than what others wear.
Don't worry you're going to uni, not school. People there will be adults, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. Universitys do not tolerate bullying if there are some nasty people.

Erm, why all the hate for reassuring the guy? I'm at uni and I know that people are adults here and he will be fine...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by buchanan700
Don't worry you're going to uni, not school. People there will be adults, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. Universitys do not tolerate bullying if there are some nasty people.

If you look about on the forums you'll see that you're quite wrong about this statement. Infact bullying happened in my old work place...
Reply 7
When you say cross dressing, do you mean in the privacy of your own room? Or, do you mean wandering around dressed as a women?

I'm not judgmental, I have no problem with people cross-dressing, but if you go out in public, you could have a big problem.
Reply 8

Please do not act as though uni is some higher ground where everyone is respectful and nice. its not. im not saying everyone is nasty but there are still immature people and bullies there just like most other places.
Reply 9
A friend of mine cross dresses, and he is very, very cute when he does it. He looks like a girl, you couldn't tell.

The problem with this is it can anger people who are confused about their sexuality.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
According to the failure to function adequately criterion of Psychology, transestivism is on the list of mental disorders and generally considered abnormal. Yet, that's just an insight I gained from my studies, yet this does lack valid evidence and can be critiqued in many ways.

Then you should also be aware of the deviation from social norms criterion - it isn't appropriate to attack a transvestite by saying they're mentally ill and quoting A-level psychology bull**** to back up your claim on the ****ing student room.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dippy Dip
Then you should also be aware of the deviation from social norms criterion - it isn't appropriate to attack a transvestite by saying they're mentally ill and quoting A-level psychology bull**** to back up your claim on the ****ing student room.

How dare you, you fool, how dare you disrespect ALevel Psychology, go back to the minor leagues and your BTEC's and Home Economics ALevel! Also, actually the deviation from social norms criterion suggests that it is behaviour which is considered undesirable or antisocial that are considered adnormal. Transvestism us generally considered a sign/indication of abnormality. With that being said, nobody is going to kill this person if they cross-dress or not.

P.S: how dare you put the 'f' word before student room on your post. If you dint want to be here then dont. You wouldn't like it if I used the 'f' word to describe your nonsensical claims.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
You'd probably be ok but there's bound to be someone who's nasty about it
How dare you, you fool, how dare you disrespect ALevel Psychology, go back to the minor leagues and your BTEC's and Home Economics ALevel! Also, actually the deviation from social norms criterion suggests that it is behaviour which is considered undesirable or antisocial that are considered adnormal. Transvestism us generally considered a sign/indication of abnormality. With that being said, nobody is going to kill this person if they cross-dress or not.

P.S: how dare you put the 'f' word before student room on your post. If you dint want to be here then dont. You wouldn't like it if I used the 'f' word to describe your nonsensical claims.

I've done A-levels mate, and I've done psychology at A-level - I can easily say psychology was stupid.

You're right about the social norms thing, I'm saying that your behaviour wasn't desirable at all. You're also right that cross-dressing is abnormal. With that being said, unless you're trying to suggest that the OP needs rehabilitation or is ill, then you're only stating the obvious - something that OP, and the rest of the world, already knows.

I honestly wouldn't care. You're the only person here saying stupid, unnecessary things.
I'm at Oxford, and I know two people who cross-dress, one in either direction (and yes, the female to male one wasn't just wearing boys' clothes - I do that - I genuinely thought she was a boy for three months).

Neither are bullied, and both are very open about it. I can't guarantee it will be the same for you, but I think going to Cambridge or St Andrews would work in your favour - there's likely to be much less of a 'laddish' culture than at some other universities. Good luck with it, anyway :smile:
Reply 15
Most people won't have a problem with it really. If anyone does then they're not the sort of people you want to be spending your Uni years with anyways. There will always be immature people though so it might not be plain sailing.
Original post by Dippy Dip
I've done A-levels mate, and I've done psychology at A-level - I can easily say psychology was stupid.

You're right about the social norms thing, I'm saying that your behaviour wasn't desirable at all. You're also right that cross-dressing is abnormal. With that being said, unless you're trying to suggest that the OP needs rehabilitation or is ill, then you're only stating the obvious - something that OP, and the rest of the world, already knows.

I honestly wouldn't care. You're the only person here saying stupid, unnecessary things.

Irony of all irony's! How is Psyhology stupid? What grade did you get? It's a bloody brilliant subject!
Irony of all irony's! How is Psyhology stupid? What grade did you get? It's a bloody brilliant subject!

A.
I can't really put much more of an insight into it other that I'd really have respect for someone who wants to completely disregard what society may think of them and dress in girls/boys clothes if they feel like it. If I was your friend at uni I'd definitely support you doing it.

lol, you haven't been to uni, have you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending