The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DayneD89
November - source

What are everyones hopes and ideas for what we'll see on the 29th? I've been holding out for a 3G nexus 7, so I'm hoping we'll see that announced. The 32GB version for £200 is the worst kept secret ever, with someone in japan recording one by mistake and stapes stores in the US having them in stock and it seems just as obvious the 8GB is being discontinued. An LG nexus 4 and a samsung Nexus 10 early in 2013 seem likely as well. Joining that hardware could be a JB update as well, I'm more sceptical about the idea of an announcement on KLP, I think 4.2 will just be an improvement on JB tbh.

Ah brilliant! :biggrin: A Jellybean version of cyanogenmod, optimised officially for the GS2 just might give it the longevity to last another year!

Personally, I'm stoked for a 10 inch Nexus tablet. Seven inches is just too small for me to justify a separate purchase.
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Ah brilliant! :biggrin: A Jellybean version of cyanogenmod, optimised officially for the GS2 just might give it the longevity to last another year!

Personally, I'm stoked for a 10 inch Nexus tablet. Seven inches is just too small for me to justify a separate purchase.

You can find a CM10 (JB) for the GS2 here, though I can't say how good it is as I don't have a GS2. I ran a few CM10 nightlies on an HTC sensation not long ago though and they seemed more stable than CM9 despite being alphas.
You can find a CM10 (JB) for the GS2 here, though I can't say how good it is as I don't have a GS2. I ran a few CM10 nightlies on an HTC sensation not long ago though and they seemed more stable than CM9 despite being alphas.

Meh. I'd rather be running a stable 9.1 cyanogen ROM that's optimised for the GS2 than be running a nightlybuild just for the sake of project butter. I shall wait until it gets a stable release under the 'official jellybean for S2' moniker :smile:
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Meh. I'd rather be running a stable 9.1 cyanogen ROM that's optimised for the GS2 than be running a nightlybuild just for the sake of project butter. I shall wait until it gets a stable release under the 'official jellybean for S2' moniker :smile:

Fair enough. I'm afraid I'm the kind of person who must try out the latest stuff, alpha or no alpha. I used to flash my device every few days, or even months when a new version of android was being leaked. I found CM10 surprisingly stable though. I had no issues with it and it was a good daily, though I prefer an AOKP with apex launcher.
Smashed my GS2 last night. It is insured by Endleigh but whether or not they fix/replace it remains to be seen. The home button is so loose, everythings slow and the touch screen is very laggy...not to mention I've cut myself on it.

You could always custom rom it on sooner. That way you can get rid of touchwiz as well (IMO vanilla android > everything else).
You could always custom rom it on sooner. That way you can get rid of touchwiz as well (IMO vanilla android > everything else).

I agree, but I don't want to lose the awesome camera that touchwiz has. All stock ROMS have poor cameras in comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Karma Charger
I agree, but I don't want to lose the awesome camera that touchwiz has. All stock ROMS have poor cameras in comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True. Depends how often you use the camera really. I always found the cameras on custom roms like CM or an AOKP good enough for my use tbh.
Um I've got a bit of a problem, you know on Twitter when somebody mentions or retweets you it'll show in the notification tray. Well, the Sync button is ticked on but none are appearing. Any suggestions thanks :smile:
My S2 is confusing me. It keeps coming up saying Software Update Available but when I try to download it, it says none are available :s
Original post by alexs2602
http://hexus.net/mobile/news/android/46893-htc-announces-440ppi-superphone-take-that-retina-display/
Anyone see this yet? Seems pretty amazing hardware. Shame it doesn't seem to have 4G.

Don't really see the point in a 1080p screen on a mobile. The increased ppi will only make a difference when you look at it from a very short distance, and I should think the extra power and battery needed for it will outweigh any benefits it can provide.
Original post by coconut2456
Don't really see the point in a 1080p screen on a mobile. The increased ppi will only make a difference when you look at it from a very short distance, and I should think the extra power and battery needed for it will outweigh any benefits it can provide.

Bragging rights is what it's good for. Nothing else.
Original post by mikeyd85
Bragging rights is what it's good for. Nothing else.

In that case people should just get the latest iPhone

It is usually difficult to brag about the hardware on the latest iPhone.
Hurray, it's Jelly Bean day!

Fair point, I think I'd need to compare them side by side to be sure but I like the fact I should be able to play 1080p vids on them without the video having to be scaled down. It's more the fact I think it's amazing tech, we're getting to the point where phones can do the same a full desktop computer could do in recent memory. My Dad owns a better phone than his desktop. In our pockets we have devices capable of doing so much and it's only getting better. My 22" monitor is 1920x1080.
I wanna get an Android tablet, however I haven't been in the loop for quite some time. Would I be right in assuming that Google are announcing a new line up of tablets in the coming weeks?
Original post by itsmyname
I wanna get an Android tablet, however I haven't been in the loop for quite some time. Would I be right in assuming that Google are announcing a new line up of tablets in the coming weeks?

More new versions of the current nexus 7 on the 29th. Including a 32GB version and it's rumoured a 3G version and a 10" version.

Not really. Screen resolution isn't the only deciding factor when choosing a new phone.