The Student Room Group

Universities in Hong Kong Applicants 2013

Hello
is there anyone who are applying for the universities in HK this year?
Which uni and which subject are you applying and what's your academic results until now?
Welcome to discuss here:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no one is applying? this year?:frown:
Reply 2
bump...
Reply 3
no one is applying for HKU and CU this year?
I saw a lot in the post last year...
Reply 4
HKU and CUHK, maybe..
and some universities in London..

have you done your PS and RP for now??
Reply 5
Original post by ffffpq
HKU and CUHK, maybe..
and some universities in London..

have you done your PS and RP for now??

I have summited my ucas application few days ago, and working on the PS for CU and HKU now.
BTW what is RP?
I am still thinking should I put IBGM for the first choice in HKU. It is hard to get in though.:s-smilie: I want to have a try but worried if they rejected me, I cannot get into my second choice.:frown::frown:
Reply 6
The fast track and advanced offer for HKU and CU is ending soon....:s-smilie:
Reply 7
I am going to apply for HKU for Chemistry, but I wondered should there be any major differences in your PS for UK-uni´s and the one for HKU? And what is that RP-thing?
Reply 8
Original post by Wim
I am going to apply for HKU for Chemistry, but I wondered should there be any major differences in your PS for UK-uni´s and the one for HKU? And what is that RP-thing?

As I know, in your ps for HKU, you should add a paragraph about why you choose this uni...
I live in Hong Kong so we get a lot of talks from the people at HKU at our school. Basically what they tell us every time is how incredibly difficult it is to get in and that they don't accept anything but the best.

I also have some friends whose parents teach at HKU and say the same. The standards for entry are really high, especially for science subjects like chemistry which are really popular in Asia and highly competitive all around.
Reply 10
Original post by Sergeant Pepper
I live in Hong Kong so we get a lot of talks from the people at HKU at our school. Basically what they tell us every time is how incredibly difficult it is to get in and that they don't accept anything but the best.

I also have some friends whose parents teach at HKU and say the same. The standards for entry are really high, especially for science subjects like chemistry which are really popular in Asia and highly competitive all around.

I got perfect grades and predicted grades...but not ideal marks:frown:
I afraid I can't even get an interview...
Reply 11
Research proposal...it's required for some subjects
Reply 12
Would you say it is harder to get in than Oxbridge?
Original post by Wim
Would you say it is harder to get in than Oxbridge?

For some courses... I think it actually may be more difficult to get in than Oxbridge. It really depends.
Hey guys! Can anyone with knowledge of HK unis just give me a rough idea on my chances? I appreciate ANY comments or suggestions! Please - these are very competitive courses and I'd like to know where I stand, so even if you only have a rough idea - chip in :biggrin:

I am a Singaporean-American currently going to an international school in Shanghai. Have lived in the US and Singapore. I'll be applying for:
HKU (BBA Law, Law, BBA) and HKUST (Global Business, BBA)

SATs:
First time: 740 CR/710 M/770 W Total 2220
Second time: 800 CR/710 M/750 W Total 2260
Superscore: 2280

IGCSE Grades: 8A* 1A
IB Predicted Grades: 43/45 or 41/42 without bonus.
English HL 7
History HL 7
Economics HL 7
Mandarin HL 6
Biology SL 7
Math SL 7
TOK and EE: 2

Extracurriculars:
CEO and Founder of a non-profit Microbank (2 years) - Last year I started a microbank, where we raise funds to give out microcredit loans to those in poverty. Originally intended to serve local farmers in China, we have since expanded to hold assets and capital in over 40 countries. We have two different projects:
1) Developmental Fund - investing in global agriculture and housing throughout Africa, SE Asia, South America.
2) Education Fund - providing student loans to youth in developing countries. By the end of the month, our loans will have a total financial impact of over $2.3 million USD. We have financed the education of teachers, doctors, nurses and engineers.

Head Boy (2 years) - I conduct the job interviews for all incoming members of staff, and personally played a role in the hiring of the current Head of School. I routinely give speeches to the school, and am the head of all student government.

Journalism (2 years) - I am an occasional writer for a large urban newspaper in my city (the Shanghai Daily) that has a daily circulation of over 100,000. I write about charitable work, and also have represented my radio station and school. All works have been published.

Marketing director and founding member for school radio station (1 year)

Model United Nations (2 years) - Was selected as Deputy President of the Economic and Social Council for a large high school conference in Suzhou, China. Have chaired international conferences, and attended many as well.

Debating team (2 years) - Won best speaker awards at numerous debating tournaments

Volunteering (3 years) - I hold free English classes for local Chinese, which leads to official English Proficiency certifications. I also help organize sporting and recreational activities with the mentally and physically disabled every week.

NGO Volunteering (1 year) - I was selected to enter a social entrepreneurship course held by an international NGO, where I designed hats and scarves, marketed them, and delivered proceeds to an impoverished school in Tibet. With the same NGO, I also taught English to impoverished children weekly.

Service Committee (2 years) - I have participated in organising anti-AIDS, anti-Racism, Environmental, etc, campaigns in school and fundraising.

Yearly Service Trip (4 years) - Every year, I spend a week in an impoverished area in rural China, where I teach in underfunded and understaffed schools.

Summer Experiences:
1. Economics summer course at UC Berkeley, analyzing the relationship between prosperity and free trade.

2. Ivy Scholars program at Yale University - I was selected to attend undergraduate and graduate level courses at Yale university in the areas of Political Philosophy, Law and Economics. Have attended courses and lectures from renowned professors, and personally taught by the dean of Yale Law School. Completed university-level law papers and philosophy seminars.

3. Volunteering/Exchange in Cape Town, South Africa - Volunteered in the slums, and in a rehabilitation and homeless shelter. Lectures from many social activists, college professors, speakers on developmental economics, race relations, and post-Apartheid politics. I now serve as an ambassador for the organization that I went with, promoting activism and humanitarianism at my school.
Original post by Sergeant Pepper
For some courses... I think it actually may be more difficult to get in than Oxbridge. It really depends.

Uhh...no. Not for internationals/non-jupas at least.

Everyone in my school who applied to HKU(9 people last year) got offers. IB offers as low as 35. Mostly for business, some for law.

For law, I can confirm that while HKU Law is selective, it is nowhere near the difficulty of Oxford law admission.

The only courses that come close to the selectivity of Oxbridge are Dentistry, Medicine, BBA Law and BBA IBGM, but even then it's hard to say which is more difficult.
oooh - how rude of me!

I'm applying to HKU (BBA Law, Law and BBA) and HKUST (global business)

I do the IB, and am predicted 43. Can you guys have a look at my thread and give me an idea on my chances?
Reply 17
Original post by lifeisgood.
Uhh...no. Not for internationals/non-jupas at least.

Everyone in my school who applied to HKU(9 people last year) got offers. IB offers as low as 35. Mostly for business, some for law.

For law, I can confirm that while HKU Law is selective, it is nowhere near the difficulty of Oxford law admission.

The only courses that come close to the selectivity of Oxbridge are Dentistry, Medicine, BBA Law and BBA IBGM, but even then it's hard to say which is more difficult.

HKU Law is also very competitive as well as MBBS...
Reply 18
Original post by lifeisgood.
oooh - how rude of me!

I'm applying to HKU (BBA Law, Law and BBA) and HKUST (global business)

I do the IB, and am predicted 43. Can you guys have a look at my thread and give me an idea on my chances?

I'm doing GCE, so I don't know how is your chance...
but I think you shouldn't put law/bba law as the second choice..it is impossible to get in if you aren't put it as your first choice
I am going to apply HKU(medicine)...I am doing GCE AL and predicted grade A*A*A*A*A*
I also apply oxford(chemistry), i think it's much harder to get offer from HKU!!!
By the way I have no idea about my ps to HKU, what type of student is tutors looking for? academic one or social one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending