The Student Room Group

English Interview at UCL- advice??

Hey guys,

I have my UCL interview for English Literature on 15th February....has anyone had their's yet and would like to share what happened and any general advice? What are they looking for/going to ask?

Thanks!

P.S. Also applying for Drama & English at Bristol- does anyone know roughly when applicants know of their decision (also KCL?)
Reply 1
I've heard that UCL's English interviews are quite heavy-going on the texts that you study at A-level.
zef99
x

rainbow drops
x

These people might be kind enough to help.
If what you've said about the interviews being heavily weighted on A-level texts is true, then mine mustn't have been a typical interview... it was a conversation about Frank O'Hara for a fair while, then I was asked some questions on Keats (whom I did study at A-level) but that wasn't for long compared to the first O'Hara bit. I was interviewed at Oxford before UCL and found the UCL interview far more enjoyable than Oxford on the whole. I wrote a critical commentary on an unseen poem after the interview, then that was it. Unlike the ELAT, it didn't seem particularly formal.

They just want enthusiasm, tbh. They only give interviews to 1/3 of applicants, so getting one in the first place, unlike with Oxbridge, is a major step towards an offer. They gave me an offer and I had really quite average grades in comparison to other English applicants out there, so I can only assume that they liked me for my enthusiasm re. the subject. I doubt the commentary I did was that great compared with other applicants because I was really tired from travelling and a bit ill on that day.
Reply 3
I think that's what zef mentioned, as well as people I've met from Oxford interviews who had their UCL ones already. They're probably quite flexible.
Reply 4
rainbow drops
If what you've said about the interviews being heavily weighted on A-level texts is true, then mine mustn't have been a typical interview... it was a conversation about Frank O'Hara for a fair while, then I was asked some questions on Keats (whom I did study at A-level).

Hi, a tad unrelated but was Frank O'Hara on your PS? I'm hoping to apply to English/English lit, but I'm so scared that at interview they'll ask me a poet/author that I haven't read. I'm having nightmares about a scenario along the lines of "so, what about *bla bla*?" "uhhhh...I haven't read that...or that....or that" *cue them looking down their noses and me feeling ignorant* :frown:

Thanks for any help!
CheekyRhi
Hi, a tad unrelated but was Frank O'Hara on your PS? I'm hoping to apply to English/English lit, but I'm so scared that at interview they'll ask me a poet/author that I haven't read. I'm having nightmares about a scenario along the lines of "so, what about *bla bla*?" "uhhhh...I haven't read that...or that....or that" *cue them looking down their noses and me feeling ignorant* :frown:

Thanks for any help!

Yes he was. :smile: I was interviewed at both UCL and Oxford and didn't get asked about an author unmentioned in my personal statement in any interview.
Reply 6
How can you prepare for your interview effectively? Mine isn't until March 3rd so I've got a lot of time to prepare, I was thinking re-read the texts I discussed on my PS, but that doesn't seem enough somehow?

Also, what SORT of questions did they ask you about the texts? Was it like exam questions?
I got an invitation for an English interview in two weeks. I am absolutely terrified for the written test... does anyone have any tips?? How to approach the text that they give you? Thank you so much! Good luck to anyone else who has an interview too.
Reply 8
Original post by miscellanea
I got an invitation for an English interview in two weeks. I am absolutely terrified for the written test... does anyone have any tips?? How to approach the text that they give you? Thank you so much! Good luck to anyone else who has an interview too.

Please don't be terrified for the written test. It's not scary at all and generally not too difficult. They just want to see you articulating your responses on paper. Just try and structure your response in a logical way and rely on close reading of the text.
The interview is the key thing they go on though if you've got this far. They want enthusiasm and somebody who doesn't completely freeze when talking to academics (who are generally lovely)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending