The Student Room Group

Writing/contacting your MP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by obstupefacere
Send him an email at [email protected]

What's the issue, it might be more appropriate to contact your MP.

It's regarding Public Transport in London; specifically prices for students and making some things clearer.
Original post by Naami
It's regarding Public Transport in London; specifically prices for students and making some things clearer.

Esquires or complaints regarding public transport in London should go either to Transport for London ( [email protected] ) or to your Local MP.

Matters of policy regarding Transport should go either to your MP or you may wish to contact the Mayor as that is under the jurisdiction.

If your issue is a very local one, your local Council / MP would be more appropriate. If it is a general issue I would contact the Mayor, and then my MP if that was unsuccessful.

If you are a member of a party you might want to speak to their candidates as well.
Might be worth putting in a reminder for people writing to include their address as MPs can't only deal with issues raised by their own constituents.
Original post by Naami

You can go through your MP or through your London Assembly Member - see http://www.london.gov.uk/who-runs-london/the-london-assembly/members
Reply 24
I was wondering if someone could let me know who I'm best to contact on an international issue I feel very strongly about. It's to do with the exploitation of workers by British companies and I'm not sure who I should write to.
Original post by Lulope
I was wondering if someone could let me know who I'm best to contact on an international issue I feel very strongly about. It's to do with the exploitation of workers by British companies and I'm not sure who I should write to.

Are you in the UK? If so, your MP might be the best person to write to.
Is it an issue that affects you personally, or is it just an issue that you feel strongly about in general? If it affects you personally, a union rep for your workplace might be able to help.

It's hard to advise you without a bit more information tbh. :redface:
Reply 26
Original post by Wilzman
Are you in the UK? If so, your MP might be the best person to write to.
Is it an issue that affects you personally, or is it just an issue that you feel strongly about in general? If it affects you personally, a union rep for your workplace might be able to help.

It's hard to advise you without a bit more information tbh. :redface:

Thank you! It's just an issue I feel strongly about. It's to do with oil extraction in Nigeria and how the Nigerian people are being exploited by it.
Reply 27
ive got my local MP added on facebook
Reply 28
Thanks for giving me a nice info.
Reply 29
I've contacted my MP via email several times, however he always sends his response via post instead, even though I leave a note at the bottom of the email saying to respond via email. What can you do? I'm not at home, and prefer emails rather than post and its more environmentally friendly in my opinion to email me.

I wish I had never moved home, my previous MP was excellent.
Original post by hessajee
I've contacted my MP via email several times, however he always sends his response via post instead, even though I leave a note at the bottom of the email saying to respond via email. What can you do? I'm not at home, and prefer emails rather than post and its more environmentally friendly in my opinion to email me.

I wish I had never moved home, my previous MP was excellent.

Lots of MPs reply by post. It's better for them in terms of paperwork, and that's often how they operate. There's not really much that you can do about it.
Reply 31
Original post by Little Jules
Lots of MPs reply by post. It's better for them in terms of paperwork, and that's often how they operate. There's not really much that you can do about it.

Could you tell me how is it better for them in terms of paperwork please? Thanks.
Original post by hessajee
Could you tell me how is it better for them in terms of paperwork please? Thanks.

Lots of MPs have old, paper-based filing systems, rather than anything online. They print everything out, and they will also make the MP checks and signs every letter. They are very small offices, just with a couple of people, and they tend to have very old fashioned systems.
I always write long-arse letters about how he should do something about green fields disappearing left and right to greedy developers who secretly have it in with Councillors.
I contact mine all the time. O_O

Quick Reply