The Student Room Group

Liquid filled radiators

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble finding out which liquids are used in portable (stand alone) radiators?
I know some of them use water whilst others use oil but I cannot find information re. the various type of oil used.
If you can answer the above question, could you please provide me with a web-link?
Thank you!

p.s: any extra info about the useful properties of the various oil filled radiators would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
This question has nothing to do with specific heat capacity, so why did you name the thread "Specific heat capacity in liquids"?

I'm gonna go ahead and assume the entire post was a typo. Here's some helpful information:

The specific heat is the amount of heat per unit mass required to raise the temperature by one degree Celsius. The relationship between heat and temperature change is usually expressed in the form shown below where c is the specific heat. The relationship does not apply if a phase change is encountered, because the heat added or removed during a phase change does not change the temperature.

deltaQ = c*m*deltaT

Find out more at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/spht.html
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Hah, I'm just messing with you / being a dick.

After a quick google and an even quicker amazon oil-filled heaters check, I see your problem. Depending on how long you have you could maby email one or two of the manufacturers and ask them directly?
I think it is just a normal hydrocarbon oil with a high boiling point. That way, when you heat it, you don't need to worry about pressure buildup in the heater, and you can make it less solid and therefore lighter
Reply 4
Yes! are you doing the controlled assessment task?
I'm stuck too:frown:
if anyone can find out how liquid filled radiators work and the useful properties of the liquids they contain??
the task is about specific heat capacity of the liquids used.
Thanks guys:biggrin:
Original post by becca97
Yes! are you doing the controlled assessment task?
I'm stuck too:frown:
if anyone can find out how liquid filled radiators work and the useful properties of the liquids they contain??
the task is about specific heat capacity of the liquids used.
Thanks guys:biggrin:

umm this thread was from a year ago i don't expect you get a answer from them
Reply 6
Yeaah, I realised that after i posted:colondollar:
so now i'm completely lost with my coursework!
Reply 7
Hi, did you have any joy on your question. I am stuck too. my question being how does the properties of glycerol,water and olive oil compare to the properties of the liquids used in radiators. !!! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest