The Student Room Group

AS chemistry help!

How do I do this question?: "Assuming that all gas volumes are measured under the same conditions and pressure, what is the volume of: Nitrogen forms when 2decimetrecubed ammonia, NH3 , decomposes into its elements ?" Thanks for any help :smile:!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by oliverh22
How do I do this question?: "Assuming that all gas volumes are measured under the same conditions and pressure, what is the volume of: Nitrogen forms when 2decimetrecubed ammonia, NH3 , decomposes into its elements ?" Thanks for any help :smile:!

.Write out the formula
.Work out the ratios
.And work you way from the n=CV/1000

What exam board are you doing?
Reply 2
Original post by lilyobz
.Write out the formula
.Work out the ratios
.And work you way from the n=CV/1000

What exam board are you doing?

I'm doing Edexcel. I worked out the formula to be 2Nh3 -> N2 + 3H2 and the answer to be: 1dm3. But how can this be? Because does that not mean that 3dm3 of H2 is formed which would mean 4dm3 of gas is formed from only 2dm3? Ahhh I'm so confused! Lol
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I'm doing Edexcel. I worked out the formula to be 2Nh3 -> N2 + 3H2 and the answer to be: 1dm3. But how can this be? Because does that not mean that 3dm3 of H2 is formed which would mean 4dm3 of gas is formed from only 2dm3? Ahhh I'm so confused! Lol

You're doing EDEXCEL FOR CHEMISTERY!?!?!? :zomg:
I truley pity you ='[, that exam board for chemistry is hell on earth.
Reply 4
Original post by lilyobz

Haha, why's that?
Original post by lilyobz

not even bro, I heard AQA is more rigorous. My school used to be on AQA but when I started AS Chemistry, our school switched to edexcel so the teachers have said that AQA is slightly more challenging.

Edexcel is tough anyway though.

Yes it does mean that. Don't worry there is no contradiction as all gases occupy the same volume for the same number of moles (Avogadro's law)

So if you make gases with fewer atoms in the molecule then you can make more moles of gas and greater volumes.

2NH3 contains two nitrogen atoms and 6 hydrogen atoms

BUT N2 + 3H2 contains exactly the same number of atoms only now they are arranged in smaller molecules. Hence there are more moles in the products.
Reply 7
Original post by James A
not even bro, I heard AQA is more rigorous. My school used to be on AQA but when I started AS Chemistry, our school switched to edexcel so the teachers have said that AQA is slightly more challenging.

Anyone do OCR Physics B here?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by James A

OCR Chemistry is by far the easiest for chemistry, Its like a sweet summer breeze :colondollar:
Reply 9

Gases are funny (not a particularly scientific way to put it :wink: ), one mole of any gas (regardless of molecule size / number of component parts) takes up the same volume of space. So when a gas decomposes into more types of molecules, it takes up more volume (or, increases the pressure in the container it is held in), as there are more "types of molecule" each taking up the amount of space in ratio.

Not sure if my wording will help, but it's how I think of it :smile:

Also, I was told Salters is horrific for chemistry, and I really enjoy it and don't find it a struggle. Don't be put off by general opinions! :smile:
Original post by James A

AQA is fine for Chemistry, to be honest.
Reply 11
Original post by Fornacite
Gases are funny (not a particularly scientific way to put it :wink: ), one mole of any gas (regardless of molecule size / number of component parts) takes up the same volume of space. So when a gas decomposes into more types of molecules, it takes up more volume (or, increases the pressure in the container it is held in), as there are more "types of molecule" each taking up the amount of space in ratio.

Not sure if my wording will help, but it's how I think of it :smile:

Also, I was told Salters is horrific for chemistry, and I really enjoy it and don't find it a struggle. Don't be put off by general opinions! :smile:

Ahhhhhhh that would make sense now!:biggrin: cheers! So my answer was correct after all? Haha
Original post by Tullia
AQA is fine for Chemistry, to be honest.

The only difference to be honest is the content, you lot study things like carbon NMR and proton NMR. Edexcel is only proton NMR. I think there might be slight differences in the organic chemistry topics, like the reactions you need to learn for benzene, phenol etc..

But the one thing that can trip people on edexcel is the experiment based questions, some people understand it, some don't.
Reply 13
Original post by James A
The only difference to be honest is the content, you lot study things like carbon NMR and proton NMR. Edexcel is only proton NMR. I think there might be slight differences in the organic chemistry topics, like the reactions you need to learn for benzene, phenol etc..

But the one thing that can trip people on edexcel is the experiment based questions, some people understand it, some don't.

Is there usually a lot of experiment based questions on the exam? (I'm doing Unit 1 in January)
Reply 14
Ahhhhhhh that would make sense now!:biggrin: cheers! So my answer was correct after all? Haha

Yup! :smile:
(But seriously, always ask these questions. Now you know it's right and why, you'll always be able to do those kinda questions :biggrin:)
Reply 15
Original post by Fornacite
Yup! :smile:
(But seriously, always ask these questions. Now you know it's right and why, you'll always be able to do those kinda questions :biggrin:)

True dude! Understanding is the key
wait, gasses at the same volume, isnt that something to do with 24dmcubed??
Reply 17
Original post by xxrebeccabexixx

Yes. However that equation isn't necessary for the type of question I was asking about :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by xxrebeccabexixx

Yup, at standard conditions (Room temperature + 1atm pressure) 1 mole of any gas will take up the volume 24cm^3
Is there usually a lot of experiment based questions on the exam? (I'm doing Unit 1 in January)

There's a fair chunk of it, yes. To be honest, make sure your thoroughly prepared, go over old past papers, even old specification past papers.

https://eiewebvip.edexcel.org.uk/PastPapers/Default.aspx

Here you will find some old spec edexcel papers (the board was previously called Edexcel Nuffield).

I got an A in unit 1, scraped it.

Quick Reply

Latest