The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by py0alb
Liking metal is an "extreme" subculture? :s-smilie:

"Liking metal" =/= identifying with the metal subculture.

Any subculture to which substantially all adherents are immediately visually identifiable is "extreme" in the context I stated, yes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Pride

I don't think it's so much about confidence, as in cockiness confidence. I get the impression it's more to do with having some self-assurance. Enough confidence to allow you to make decent conversation and develop some sort of relationship without it feeling awkward all the time. It can be very awkward when you talk to somebody who has no confidence, and it can actually be very hard work too.

"cockiness confidence" is just self-assurance in people you don't like (or in the alternative, "more self-assurance than you yourself have").
Reply 162
Original post by Pride
I don't understand why you keep stressing the same point. Clearly this is addressing the average person. Obviously this won't really apply to a person who's into the metal sub-culture, they'll probably end up attracting like-minded people.

What's the problem?

My point is simply that men who identify with the metal subculture are likely to wish to date women who identify with the metal subculture, and vice versa, and the best way to do that is to dress in a manner that identifies them as such.

In fact OP is completely missing the big picture: it is not a matter of dressing in some preseribed manner of his suggestion, its a matter of dressing in a way that represents who you are. There is no incorrect way to dress - other than to dress in a way that misrepresents yourself.

OP directly addresses metal fans with long hair - so its no good saying this advice isn't "for them". Hes talking directly to them.
Reply 163
Original post by HistoryRepeating
"Liking metal" =/= identifying with the metal subculture.

Any subculture to which substantially all adherents are immediately visually identifiable is "extreme" in the context I stated, yes.

So if I go to the pub in my deftones t-shirt, I'm immediately identifiable as belonging to an extremist subculture and thus unable to attract "normal" women?
Reply 164
"cockiness confidence" is just self-assurance in people you don't like (or in the alternative, "more self-assurance than you yourself have").

I meant arrogance. That's attractive to only some people. Most people are attracted to a degree of confidence though.
Original post by py0alb
My point is simply that men who identify with the metal subculture are likely to wish to date women who identify with the metal subculture, and vice versa, and the best way to do that is to dress in a manner that identifies them as such.

In fact OP is completely missing the big picture: it is not a matter of dressing in some preseribed manner of his suggestion, its a matter of dressing in a way that represents who you are. There is no incorrect way to dress - other than to dress in a way that misrepresents yourself.

OP directly addresses metal fans with long hair - so its no good saying this advice isn't "for them". Hes talking directly to them.

My guide is useless for blind white-supremacists with a foot fetish who seek similar too.
Reply 166
My guide is useless for blind white-supremacists with a foot fetish who seek similar too.

Try to follow it yourself did ya?
Original post by Pride
I meant arrogance. That's attractive to only some people. Most people are attracted to a degree of confidence though.

Arrogance is assuming you are better than others. You can be incredibly, over-the top confidant without being arrogant.
Original post by py0alb
Try to follow it yourself did ya?

razor wit
The most common dating advice is without doubt "be yourself".

I'm very "nerdy" or "weird" and sarcastic... what if I'm too weird??
Apart from that, some nice tips, I will be using these for sure! :smile:
Reply 170
Wearing black tops or hoodies, doesn't make you a geek/basement dweller or w/e lol, it's a personal choice.

edit; Forgot it's based on a date, obviously dark clothing in a proper date isn't good
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 171
Original post by py0alb

Being a metal fan isn't the same as dressing and looking like you're a metal fan, I mean, I like metal. But yea I get what you're saying.

But he has a point though. You're saying that guys who grow their hair are likely to be metal fans and not very mainstream. But he's addressing guys who might be after the more mainstream girl. Those guys who aren't mainstream perhaps, but don't get why they get nothing back from girls they like the look of who are more-or-less your everyday girl. Is it unreasonable to advise guys on how to be more appealing to the average girl? I'd say, not really. Most of this stuff is obvious...
Reply 172
Arrogance is assuming you are better than others. You can be incredibly, over-the top confidant without being arrogant.

OK.
Reply 173
Original post by py0alb
So if I go to the pub in my deftones t-shirt, I'm immediately identifiable as belonging to an extremist subculture and thus unable to attract "normal" women?

well no
Reply 174
Original post by Pride
well no

But any subculture to which all adherents are immediately visually identifiable is "extreme", no?
Original post by Bude8
I'm very "nerdy" or "weird" and sarcastic... what if I'm too weird??
Apart from that, some nice tips, I will be using these for sure! :smile:

1) do you like these things about yourself?
2) do you want to be with a woman who is "nerdy" "weird" and "sarcastic"? Is it important to you?

If the answer to one and two is yes, then just keep looking until you find someone who likes that about you!

If the answer to one and two is no, then consider working to make yourself "less" so.
1) do you like these things about yourself?
2) do you want to be with a woman who is "nerdy" "weird" and "sarcastic"? Is it important to you?

If the answer to one and two is yes, then just keep looking until you find someone who likes that about you!

If the answer to one and two is no, then consider working to make yourself "less" so.

Yes, I love being weird and nerdy! Much better than being bored. I want a girl who will be weird with me, I guess. But there's this girl now, who I've never spoken to but feel a very strong attraction for, and I'm worried I'll be a bit too weird for her :/ Only one way to find out...
I hope it works out, I've never felt this way about a girl before.

Feel free to say: http://www.instantsfun.es/gaaaay
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
But any subculture to which all adherents are immediately visually identifiable is "extreme", no?

Wearing a deftones t-shirt alone doesn't single you out as part of a subculture, no.

You are being facetious. You understand the point.

A sub-culture is "exteme" in the way I used it before if membership of that subculture -requires- visual self-identification. In other words, if there is a "uniform".

You can usually tell if someone is a punk, a goth, a metalhead. They dress, act and style themselves in a way that proclaims that fact. This isn't a cricitism its truth!

Can you, on the other hand, differentiate visually between someone who loves clubbing and social drinking from someone who is abstinent and whose key hobby is playing the viola in an orchestra? No (flippant answers aside) - because neither of those subcultures involve a specific appearance or style of dress.
Reply 178
Wearing a deftones t-shirt alone doesn't single you out as part of a subculture, no.

You are being facetious. You understand the point.

A sub-culture is "exteme" in the way I used it before if membership of that subculture -requires- visual self-identification. In other words, if there is a "uniform".

You can usually tell if someone is a punk, a goth, a metalhead. They dress, act and style themselves in a way that proclaims that fact. This isn't a cricitism its truth!

Can you, on the other hand, differentiate visually between someone who loves clubbing and social drinking from someone who is abstinent and whose key hobby is playing the viola in an orchestra? No (flippant answers aside) - because neither of those subcultures involve a specific appearance or style of dress.

Goths have a uniform. Metal fans do not, unless you consider band t-shirts, the occasional studded wristband and a preponderance for black to be a uniform.
Original post by Bude8
Yes, I love being weird and nerdy! Much better than being bored. I want a girl who will be weird with me, I guess. But there's this girl now, who I've never spoken to but feel a very strong attraction for, and I'm worried I'll be a bit too weird for her :/ Only one way to find out...
I hope it works out, I've never felt this way about a girl before.

Feel free to say: http://www.instantsfun.es/gaaaay

If you love being weird and nerdy and want that in a girl then the real question ISNT "Am I too weird for this girl" but "is this girl weird enough for me?"

Latest

Trending

Trending