The Student Room Group

Soft A level Subjects

There always seems to be a hesitation when saying whether or not a subject is soft because of a fear of offending people. But this is a serious issue that could potentially ruin people.

The general consensus for soft A level subjects are:

Media Studies (no explanation necessary)
Business studies
Accounting
Health and social care
Accounting
Information and Communication Technology
Business and Management
Art and Design
Leisure Studies
Design and Technology
Communication Studies
Music Technology
Theatre Arts
Dance
Performance Studies
Visual Arts
Design and Technology
Performing Arts
Drama/Theatre Studies
Photography
Film Studies
Physical Education
Sports Studies
Home Economics

Also, subjects like sociology and psychology are also a pretty weak.

I hope this helps.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
article-2190753-149DB585000005DC-972_468x454.jpg

To be 100% honest, some of those above are not on the same level as the ones mentioned above (they are genuine courses), the ones above are 100 times harder in some sense. I would strongly argue ICT and Business Studies is not an easy subject either. The pass when I did ICT last year was stupidly high, and very few people actually pass with a C. It is heavily theory based and you need to understand all the technical terms and use them in the correct context to get marks. Business is also not that soft as people claim, though I studied applied business and not Business Studies, so I can't mention the whole picture here.
Reply 3
ah. and for some of us specs-we can't access those 'hard' a levels as they're not offered. meh. how the world works.
Reply 4
Original post by ChoznPenn
ah. and for some of us specs-we can't access those 'hard' a levels as they're not offered. meh. how the world works.

You mean to say that there are some colleges which dont offer courses such as english, maths, all sciences, history, geog, religious studies, any modern or ancient language?
I think the best way to decide whether a subject is soft is look on Oxbridge's course requirements for the same subjects and see if an A level is required. For example, Oxford clearly don't think much of A level Psychology because last time I looked (which was admittedly two years ago) Psychology A level wasn't required for a degree in Psychology.

I guess the issue with heavy coursework subjects (art, product design ect...) is that they don't demonstrate huge amounts of intellect. However they do demonstrate good timekeeping and ability to stick with time consuming courses, so at the end of the day one coursework heavy subject from 3 or 4 isn't so bad. And the American Uni's like people who can demonstrate talents outside of academia (eg Art) as well as inside. So I'd say to do one soft option is okay, provided you're doing it because you like it, or because you're doing it because you need it. Taking more than one of these to fill out your choices is really not reccomended.
Original post by Elderon

To be 100% honest, some of those above are not on the same level as the ones mentioned above (they are genuine courses), the ones above are 100 times harder in some sense. I would strongly argue ICT and Business Studies is not an easy subject either. The pass when I did ICT last year was stupidly high, and very few people actually pass with a C. It is heavily theory based and you need to understand all the technical terms and use them in the correct context to get marks. Business is also not that soft as people claim, though I studied applied business and not Business Studies, so I can't mention the whole picture here.

I think those were GCSE or level 2 qualifications since they were taken at the age of 16
Reply 7
Original post by Cephalus
There always seems to be a hesitation when saying whether or not a subject is soft because of a fear of offending people. But this is a serious issue that could potentially ruin people.

The general consensus for soft A level subjects are:

Media Studies (no explanation necessary)
Business studies
Accounting
Health and social care
Accounting
Information and Communication Technology
Business and Management
Art and Design
Leisure Studies
Design and Technology
Communication Studies
Music Technology
Theatre Arts
Dance
Performance Studies
Visual Arts
Design and Technology
Performing Arts
Drama/Theatre Studies
Photography
Film Studies
Physical Education
Sports Studies
Home Economics

Also, subjects like sociology and psychology are also a pretty weak.

I hope this helps.

So you've listed all the subjects that relate to modern life and haven't been taught for hundreds of years. Very insightful bro:rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by alapa
So you've listed all the subjects that relate to modern life and haven't been taught for hundreds of years. Very insightful bro:rolleyes:

Anybody with an iota of sense would know that these subjects are damaging to an application to uni
Reply 9
Anybody with an iota of sense would know that these subjects are damaging to an application to uni

Depends on what uni your applying for and the course etc. If your applying for phycology at roehampton then Pycology, business studies, sociology will be fine. Not everyone wants to go to an oxbridge uni, so discounting A levels that dont meet your standards is a tad silly.
And please post your research so we can see where the 'general consensus' claim comes into things.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by alapa
Depends on what uni your applying for and the course etc. If your applying for phycology at roehampton then Pycology, business studies, sociology will be fine. Not everyone wants to go to an oxbridge uni, so discounting A levels that dont meet your standards is a tad silly.

But these aren't my standards, just a general consensus

how just plain..RUDE. there are most defo relevant subjects their that WONT AT ALL damage uni applications. i guess you're einstein though right? ........
Original post by Elderon

i agree. business studies is much harder than people make it out to be
Reply 13
Original post by A_Timberlake
how just plain..RUDE. there are most defo relevant subjects their that WONT AT ALL damage uni applications. i guess you're einstein though right? ........

Not at all. I'm just paraphrasing notable sources.

And dont be silly I'm much cleverer than albert einstein
Reply 14
?
But these aren't my standards, just a general consensus

fair enough, just remember that everyone is different. What might be soft to you might not be to someone else. Ive looked at your A levels and you are clearly very intelligent mathmatecially and scientifically but maybe you are not as intelligent in some of the subjects youve listed. Other subjects are not 'soft', I would never be able to do buisness studies but find biology easy. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.
Original post by alapa
And please post your research so we can see where the 'general consensus' claim comes into things.

I agree.
Reply 16
Original post by alapa
?
fair enough, just remember that everyone is different. What might be soft to you might not be to someone else. Ive looked at your A levels and you are clearly very intelligent mathmatecially and scientifically but maybe you are not as intelligent in some of the subjects youve listed. Other subjects are not 'soft', I would never be able to do buisness studies but find biology easy. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

Lol I know I would probably fail all of the subjects I've listed, but what I can or cannot do does not give a subject its value. These options must have been listed as 'soft' for some reason, thats all I'm saying

lol yeah without using your loaf. you're very ignorant in my opinion! so tell us more then albert, justify why those subjects may hinder a uni application?
Reply 18
Iv'e found Business Studies quite easy, no coursework and not much revision needed for a good grade :smile: Media Studies exams are quite easy, but the coursework can be a pain in the butt. Especially if your not creative!
Reply 19

Yeah, because "cleverer" is a real word, let alone used by geniuses

Latest

Trending

Trending