The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

University of Liverpool Accommodation

Hi guys,

I've been made an offer from the University of Liverpool and have just got back from a UCAS visit day and am a bit unsure about the halls. I want to be where it's most sociable, I'm really outgoing and like going out loads so want to be where it all happens... I want to be self catered, purely for the reason of having a decent sized kitchen with somewhere for everyone to hang out. It seems like in the catered halls there's nowhere for everyone to hang out together or like pre drink before a night out etc??
Fairly sure I want en suite but I saw a girls room yesterday (friend of a friend who offered to show me her room) but it seemed really small! So i wondered if maybe the non en suite rooms were bigger? Cos if they're the bigger and more modern ones I think i'd rather suffer sharing a bathroom and have a bigger more modern room! At the moment I'm leaning towards Derby and Rathbone self catered en suite, its just the one I saw yesterday seemed so old and small! Are they all like that or was I unlucky with the one I saw? And are the more modern rooms the non ensuite rooms?

Any advice would be great!
Reply 1
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by Reegs
Hi guys,

I've been made an offer from the University of Liverpool and have just got back from a UCAS visit day and am a bit unsure about the halls. I want to be where it's most sociable, I'm really outgoing and like going out loads so want to be where it all happens... I want to be self catered, purely for the reason of having a decent sized kitchen with somewhere for everyone to hang out. It seems like in the catered halls there's nowhere for everyone to hang out together or like pre drink before a night out etc??
Fairly sure I want en suite but I saw a girls room yesterday (friend of a friend who offered to show me her room) but it seemed really small! So i wondered if maybe the non en suite rooms were bigger? Cos if they're the bigger and more modern ones I think i'd rather suffer sharing a bathroom and have a bigger more modern room! At the moment I'm leaning towards Derby and Rathbone self catered en suite, its just the one I saw yesterday seemed so old and small! Are they all like that or was I unlucky with the one I saw? And are the more modern rooms the non ensuite rooms?

Any advice would be great!

Hi man,

I'm at royal holloway and i think judging by my halls which are catered, catered halls arent necessarily unsociable. Out halls happens to be quite open so you we actually have a bigger corridor and know more people because of it. Corridors which are more narrow and closed off mean people mingle aswell. but that is all relative to who happens to be in you halls. Self catered do tend to have more firm groups of mates in them. I think you should go for self catered though.

Also I'm actually considering transferring to liverpool. Does the university always house their new students? As I will be going into second year. Do you know much about liverpool? Is it a really wild city?

Thanks
Reply 3
I'm in halls at Liverpool at the moment...I'm on the Greenbank site in Roscoe and Gladstone hall.

I have to say that there is a much higher demand for self-catered rooms than there are self-catered rooms! there are some on campus (mulberry court etc), but if you want a lively atmosphere (which it sounds like you definately do) you HAVE to choose either Greenbank or Carnatic, which are full of 1st year students. You meet so many more people here so dont be put off if the rooms look a bit shabby. You'll be lukcy to get self catered but dont be tempted into private accom. A friend of mine did and is stuck with 5 2nd years that all knew each other before! It's worth putting up with a bit of a shabby room for the friends and atmosphere you get a halls on Greenbank/carnatic.

The rooms in Roscoe and Gladstone are alright...you share a bathroom with 6 people which sounds gross but its really not that bad, i've never had to wait for a shower and it gets cleaned for you every day! the rooms are fairly modern and decent sized (bigger in general than rooms at carnatic). In Derby and Rathbone there's a real variety of rooms. Some of the catered rooms have big kitchens you can chill in but others (the old court) are quite dated and basic but the rooms are MASSIVE! You'll be lucky if you get an en-suite cos everyone wants one, so dont hold out for one.

I know what you mean with the no room to hang out in, it was a bit annoying at first...but you can chill in each others rooms and its realllly not a problem, especailly when you form your close friendship groups and you can slob out and watch tv. They do have TV rooms and things that you can use if you want to, but most people just hang out in each others rooms. Even though it's not ideal it's awesome if youre off out and everyone on the corridor props their doors open-makes it really sociable and friendly! :smile: AND if you're catered eating tea and breakfast together is realllly sociable and a great way to meet people is in the queue for tea :smile:

My advice would definately be go for Carnatic or Greenbank...the rooms really are FINE. If you're lucky (and your applying early so youre in a good position) you might get the self catered that you want but even if you dont, don't stress...the food is alright and it's worth putting up with for the craic!

Hope this helps, lemme know if you want any more info!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 10betmar
I'm in halls at Liverpool at the moment...I'm on the Greenbank site in Roscoe and Gladstone hall.

I have to say that there is a much higher demand for self-catered rooms than there are self-catered rooms! there are some on campus (mulberry court etc), but if you want a lively atmosphere (which it sounds like you definately do) you HAVE to choose either Greenbank or Carnatic, which are full of 1st year students. You meet so many more people here so dont be put off if the rooms look a bit shabby. You'll be lukcy to get self catered but dont be tempted into private accom. A friend of mine did and is stuck with 5 2nd years that all knew each other before! It's worth putting up with a bit of a shabby room for the friends and atmosphere you get a halls on Greenbank/carnatic.

The rooms in Roscoe and Gladstone are alright...you share a bathroom with 6 people which sounds gross but its really not that bad, i've never had to wait for a shower and it gets cleaned for you every day! the rooms are fairly modern and decent sized (bigger in general than rooms at carnatic). In Derby and Rathbone there's a real variety of rooms. Some of the catered rooms have big kitchens you can chill in but others (the old court) are quite dated and basic but the rooms are MASSIVE! You'll be lucky if you get an en-suite cos everyone wants one, so dont hold out for one.

I know what you mean with the no room to hang out in, it was a bit annoying at first...but you can chill in each others rooms and its realllly not a problem, especailly when you form your close friendship groups and you can slob out and watch tv. They do have TV rooms and things that you can use if you want to, but most people just hang out in each others rooms. Even though it's not ideal it's awesome if youre off out and everyone on the corridor props their doors open-makes it really sociable and friendly! :smile: AND if you're catered eating tea and breakfast together is realllly sociable and a great way to meet people is in the queue for tea :smile:

My advice would definately be go for Carnatic or Greenbank...the rooms really are FINE. If you're lucky (and your applying early so youre in a good position) you might get the self catered that you want but even if you dont, don't stress...the food is alright and it's worth putting up with for the craic!

That was realllly helpful thankyou!!! I'm tempted to go for catered ensuite in D+R. A friend of a friend who is in Old Court atm said to go for Roscoe and Gladstone if I want to be where the partying happens cos its the most sociable... but the bathroom thing is just worrying me! Are the rooms bigger in R+G than D+R? cos on the website the rooms like quite nice in R+G... in general do you think ensuite rooms are smaller than non en suite? And also if I were to go Roscoe and Gladstone are the bathrooms okay? Like the showers are decent and they all have lockable doors etc? And what about toilets, do you share with loads of ppl?

If Derby and Rathbone is just as sociable and lively I'm tempted to put that down for the hope of getting ensuite, with Roscoe and Gladstone as my second choice, I just don't want to end up with such a tiny en suite room that no1 can even fit in it! Leaning towards catered now for the social side of things. Any advice?
Thank you thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Glad it helped!!

To be honest i don't think there's a huge difference in socialbility (is that even a word ha!) between D+R and R+G. There's always loads going on here at Roscoe, and because blocks are connected together you get to know loads of people, and there's always someone going out or doing something. The benefit of roscoe is that two blocks are connected together (a + b, c + d, e + f etc etc) so there's more people that you get to know fairly well. In derby (well the old court anyway) you are really only connected to your own block which i THINK is 16 people. But you still get to know loads of the people around you so I wouldn't worry too much about it!!! I'm not really sure about the other bits of Derby (not old court) so sorry about that-but from what i've heard they're all really sociable :smile:

Don't stress about the bathrooms. I really wanted an en-suite, but i also wanted catered and there was only 1 option that did both (derby ensuite catered) which i obviosuly didnt get. I was a bit dubious at first but its honestly not a problem. In both R+G and D+R you share a shower and toilet with 6, which i know sounds a bit grim but they're cleaned daily and i can honestly say i've only ever had to wait for a shower once or twice. The showers are lockable and are more than adequate-the waters always hot which i suppose is the most important thing! The only problem we've ever had is when our light broke but even though they can be a bit grumpy the porters do sort out any issues like that really quickly :smile:

To be honest i've never been in one of the en-suite rooms in derby and rathbone, i would expect them to be a bit smaller than ones without ensuite but not hugely so. If i were you i'd put d+r catered with an ensuite first, followed by R +G, then d+r without ensuite (same as what i put!). dont hold out hope for an ensuite though cos everyone wants one!

OK....think thats it! ooh, food if you want to know anything about that-it is good for the social side of things. You meet people in the queue for tea and for the first term especially it does help you settle in. plus there's not a lot of catered accom on greenbank/carnatic and you want to be there. The food isnt too bad to be honest-there's always loads of choice. I'm not fussy at all but some of my friends are and even they're fine with it. The mealtimes are a bit of a pain (think tea at half 4-6) but you get used to it really quickly.

Right i think thats everything!!! let me know if there's ANYTHING else you want to know, and let me know what you go for! :smile:
Reply 6
Hello! I have just firmed Liverpool and i am now waiting for my accomodation application.
I WANT an en suite and would like self- catered...I would like my accomation to be near campus and arent really into 'crazy night life' so I can cope with a 'quiter' hall.
I have no idea which hall provides what, can someone please suggest which hall is best for me.

close to campus, en suite and room to be quite clean and sizable! Many thanks xxxx
Reply 7
Original post by yellehs
Hello! I have just firmed Liverpool and i am now waiting for my accomodation application.
I WANT an en suite and would like self- catered...I would like my accomation to be near campus and arent really into 'crazy night life' so I can cope with a 'quiter' hall.
I have no idea which hall provides what, can someone please suggest which hall is best for me.

close to campus, en suite and room to be quite clean and sizable! Many thanks xxxx

Prospect point :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by heaven359
Prospect point :smile:

I've looked at debery and rathbone too. I think i might want catered too now and with ensuite. Is this on site?
Can you tell me abit about it please?
xxxx:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by yellehs
I've looked at debery and rathbone too. I think i might want catered too now and with ensuite. Is this on site?
Can you tell me abit about it please?
xxxx:smile:

I'm afraid I don't know much about it, just what's on the university website but I presume you've checked it already :smile:
Original post by 10betmar

Hey, I have a quick Q about something you mentioned! Do you know if the ensuite rooms are Derby & Rathbone are part of the 'Old Court'?

Rachel :smile:
Reply 11
I was wondering, is it really unlikely for me to get an ensuite room since there isnt many? I really can't decide whether to go to Liverpool!
Reply 12
Hi,
I really want to find out what are the most social halls at liverpool uni, even if they might be a bit of a ****hole? Thanks
Original post by Reegs
That was realllly helpful thankyou!!! I'm tempted to go for catered ensuite in D+R. A friend of a friend who is in Old Court atm said to go for Roscoe and Gladstone if I want to be where the partying happens cos its the most sociable... but the bathroom thing is just worrying me! Are the rooms bigger in R+G than D+R? cos on the website the rooms like quite nice in R+G... in general do you think ensuite rooms are smaller than non en suite? And also if I were to go Roscoe and Gladstone are the bathrooms okay? Like the showers are decent and they all have lockable doors etc? And what about toilets, do you share with loads of ppl?

If Derby and Rathbone is just as sociable and lively I'm tempted to put that down for the hope of getting ensuite, with Roscoe and Gladstone as my second choice, I just don't want to end up with such a tiny en suite room that no1 can even fit in it! Leaning towards catered now for the social side of things. Any advice?
Thank you thank you :smile:

I picked catered D+R! The websites saying Prospect Point and Self-Catered D+R ensuites are all full now and considering they're the first two choices I put up there it's the only choice I have left! :') Though I'll still most likely end up sharing a bathroom, sigh. I can't wait to meet people, I'm so excited! :biggrin:
Hi! Looking to live out in self catered student accomodation, with it being my first time living away from home ive been doing alot of research and love the looks of Opal Court, Europa and Atlantic point! Can anyone suggest which one has the best social/night life as they all seem to be a little futhur from the City Centre but as a typical student is something im looking forward to about the Uni experience :smile: As some of the halls seem a little smalller just wondered if anyone could suggest which one would be best suited for the comfort and enjoyable uni life style :biggrin: so exciteeeed x
Reply 15
Original post by lucycharlottex
Hi! Looking to live out in self catered student accomodation, with it being my first time living away from home ive been doing alot of research and love the looks of Opal Court, Europa and Atlantic point! Can anyone suggest which one has the best social/night life as they all seem to be a little futhur from the City Centre but as a typical student is something im looking forward to about the Uni experience :smile: As some of the halls seem a little smalller just wondered if anyone could suggest which one would be best suited for the comfort and enjoyable uni life style :biggrin: so exciteeeed x

Same! Help would be much appreciated! Sorry if you thought this was a useful reply! x
Reply 16
Hey

I'm looking at applying to liverpool uni for 2014. But I'm wanting to do an Adult Nursing degree which is a 48 week course, however the accomodation is on a 36 week contract... does anyone have any info on what happens? Is there special nursing accom or what??

Thanks
Reply 17
I'm looking for Ensuite catered accommodation - does anyone have any suggestions?? Preferably nearer the university but I'd rather it be ensuite catered and make the trek. Bit stuck finding much under this criteria other than Vine Court :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by mattjc
I'm looking for Ensuite catered accommodation - does anyone have any suggestions?? Preferably nearer the university but I'd rather it be ensuite catered and make the trek. Bit stuck finding much under this criteria other than Vine Court :frown:

I am also seeking ensuite catered (

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending