The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by james_smithy123
Without sounding too sinster :tongue:, are there many bike crashes in winter due to snow/ ice? Or are the UEA pretty good at gritting pavements.

Hopefully i dont have to pretend to be a car because the roads are gritted so much better in my home town :tongue:

I have no idea I'm afraid I don't have a bike. But when it snowed in February security (think it's security or maybe estates) were really quick on gritting the area so it was only tiny patches of snow/ice left on pavements.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by makingamemory
I have no idea I'm afraid I don't have a bike. But when it snowed in February security (think it's security or maybe estates) were really quick on gritting the area so it was only tiny patches of snow/ice left on pavements.

Awesome, looks like ill be leaving my walking boots at home then. Do you know if they grit the village as its a bit of a trek :L.
Awesome, looks like ill be leaving my walking boots at home then. Do you know if they grit the village as its a bit of a trek :L.

Walking boots do sometimes come in handy, unless you're strapped for room to bring them to uni. Well I was coming back from home late at night the evening after it snowed like crazy last year and it wasn't gritted yet past the lights/down the slope going to the bottom of courtyard A (dunno about the rest of the village as I lived in CA), which was really slippery in converses :tongue: Then as I had a 9am lab the next day, I'm guessing they had gritted it in the morning because I had to wear my walking boots to the lab because it was still icy, but coming back at 1 it had dissolved. But the strech along university drive had been gritted, I guess they just hadn't gotten round to gritting the village yet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Awesome i only bought them for D of e, otherwise they threatened to fail me as i did that practice in trainers haha. Yeah that slope is pretty steep, im a bit further down on the left in Ash. I don't want to walk into "the square" and fall with everyone watching me :colondollar:. Hopefully the snows not too bad this year, thanks for your help :smile:.
hey all, sorry if you've seen this thread a billion times before....
I applied to Natural Sciences Bsc (instead of the fancy year abroad one :frown: ) and received an email today inviting me to an interview at a visitor's day.

Now I can't find anything about interviews for anything other than nursing on their website, so I'm kind of wondering if this is normal or not? I certainly didn't expect an interview (only because I got 2 other offers at higher graded unis without an interview), and I'm kind of worried.

My predicted grades are A*AA (I'm also predicted an A in art, but may have to drop that, and predicted an A* with my maths retake).

Does anyone have any special help on interviews here? is it super formal? is it more of a talk? is it going to be a mental challenge?

any helpful comments are appreciated :smile:!
I've just gotten an interview for Natural Sciences there as well :smile: (although I applied for the fancy one with the year abroad :P) and am wondering the same thing.... I'm guessing it won't be that formal as its as part of a visit day.
Original post by nanodesu512
hey all, sorry if you've seen this thread a billion times before....
I applied to Natural Sciences Bsc (instead of the fancy year abroad one :frown: ) and received an email today inviting me to an interview at a visitor's day.

Now I can't find anything about interviews for anything other than nursing on their website, so I'm kind of wondering if this is normal or not? I certainly didn't expect an interview (only because I got 2 other offers at higher graded unis without an interview), and I'm kind of worried.

My predicted grades are A*AA (I'm also predicted an A in art, but may have to drop that, and predicted an A* with my maths retake).

Does anyone have any special help on interviews here? is it super formal? is it more of a talk? is it going to be a mental challenge?

any helpful comments are appreciated :smile:!

Original post by yellowrainbow07
I've just gotten an interview for Natural Sciences there as well :smile: (although I applied for the fancy one with the year abroad :P) and am wondering the same thing.... I'm guessing it won't be that formal as its as part of a visit day.

Don't do NatSci, but in ENV they do interviews too. Have you guys gotten an offer yet? Did it say on the letter an informal interview? When we had ours it really was informal, I think we spent about 2 minutes talking about things that were relevant to my degree (i.e. you're a londoner, why do you want to study EES!), asking whether I'm on track to get my predicted grades (I had my interview in March so I doubt it's relevant for you guys). The rest was just talking, him getting to know more about me and me getting to know more about the uni/course. I stressed the whole 4 hours it took me to get to UEA, going over my PS and reading essays/textbooks and it was all for nothing! Well going through your PS won't hurt tbh. As youre NatSci they might want to check if your combination is right for you (pssst pick ENV modules!)? I've found UEA care more about you as a person and your PS, I doubt you'll have to jump through academic hoops during your interview.
Reply 847
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
After seeing so many threads get opened for one question, I figured it would make sense to make a thread for them all.

So basically, if you have a question about UEA, the gym, the surrounding area (basically anything!) then post in here and current students can answer them for you!

Please also search this thread/the forum to see if your question has been asked before - just to save us from repeating ourselves! :p:

Lastly, if you have a question about accommodation, then post it in here.

Is it often to get asked for an interview when applying? :smile:
Original post by _Saaaam_
Is it often to get asked for an interview when applying? :smile:

Depends on the course. Pretty sure none of the Arts and Humanities courses interview unless your a mature student. Med and Health courses ask for a formal one as standard I believe, and some of the sciences if not all (not 100% sure on that one) ask for an informal one
Original post by makingamemory
Don't do NatSci, but in ENV they do interviews too. Have you guys gotten an offer yet? Did it say on the letter an informal interview? When we had ours it really was informal, I think we spent about 2 minutes talking about things that were relevant to my degree (i.e. you're a londoner, why do you want to study EES!), asking whether I'm on track to get my predicted grades (I had my interview in March so I doubt it's relevant for you guys). The rest was just talking, him getting to know more about me and me getting to know more about the uni/course. I stressed the whole 4 hours it took me to get to UEA, going over my PS and reading essays/textbooks and it was all for nothing! Well going through your PS won't hurt tbh. As youre NatSci they might want to check if your combination is right for you (pssst pick ENV modules!)? I've found UEA care more about you as a person and your PS, I doubt you'll have to jump through academic hoops during your interview.

Haven't had an offer, but in the email it called the interview a 'selection interview' but then said ' Each year the Schools of Study at UEA hold a series of Visit Days for successful applicants and their parents/guardians.' Well, I guess I'll read through PS and have a think about the obvious questions about why natsci, and then remember to smile :smile:
Reply 850
yellowrainbow07

Original post by jelly1000

Original post by nanodesu512

I did maths, I had to go in to a room with a lecturer on my visit day but that was post offer and it was more me asking them questions.

If you are worried about it email then for more advice on the format and purpose of the interview, they will be happy the help and it certainly won't count against you... In fact if they remember your name they might note that you're obviously interested and prepare yourself well.

Though I'd wait a while as you might yet get a letter answering all your Qs.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
Reply 851
Depends on the course. Pretty sure none of the Arts and Humanities courses interview unless your a mature student. Med and Health courses ask for a formal one as standard I believe, and some of the sciences if not all (not 100% sure on that one) ask for an informal one

Ah okay thank you :smile:
Do you know about Business?
Ah okay thank you :smile:
Do you know about Business?

not sure, sorry
Reply 853
not sure, sorry

Okay thank you :smile:
Okay thank you :smile:

If i remember correctly accounting and finance requires an interview this year, since the first year is the same as business i would assume an interview is required.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know any chinese takeaways that deliver to the university village?
If i remember correctly accounting and finance requires an interview this year, since the first year is the same as business i would assume an interview is required.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know any chinese takeaways that deliver to the university village?

I'd imagine nearly all of them. We definitely got Chinese delivered there, I can't remember which one though...
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I'd imagine nearly all of them. We definitely got Chinese delivered there, I can't remember which one though...

Ah ok thanks, i guess ill have to ring up and find out :tongue:, hopefully they know the differences between buildings.
Reply 857
Ah ok thanks, i guess ill have to ring up and find out :tongue:, hopefully they know the differences between buildings.

Well even if not you can just go or and meet them :smile:.

And yeah I can't see why any in Norwich would not deliver there. Pick one from just eat which has good reviews.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
I have a question - I've recieved an offer for American and English Literature which is a four-year degree with the third year spent abroad. However, I'm wondering if the year spent abroad is compulsory? Is there any option to shorten the length of time abroad? Or is there an option to decline going abroad at all?
Original post by R3cognize
I have a question - I've recieved an offer for American and English Literature which is a four-year degree with the third year spent abroad. However, I'm wondering if the year spent abroad is compulsory? Is there any option to shorten the length of time abroad? Or is there an option to decline going abroad at all?

The year abroad is supposed to be compulsory - there is a similar course (English and American Literature) which is 3 years, and is in the school of Lit (LDC), as opposed to the school of American Studies. (AMS)

I actually got an Eng + Am offer on UCAS, and then emailed UEA when I decided I wanted the year abroad, and they changed me to Am + Eng.

I know of people who found they were suddenly unable to go abroad (e.g. financial reasons) and were able to finish in 3 years, but I think that's a result of serious consultation rather than a conventional choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending