The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys i'm struggling a bit with my first essay. We have to evaluate a lesson based on certain 'criteria' for instance I have chosen literacy and use of ict in literacy. We then have to do a short literature review which is the basis for evaluating the lessons. The bulk of the essay should be the evaluation of the lesson. I guess my issue is how exactly I squeeze in a literature review of literacy and ict into about 500 words each and still cover everything I need to cover in order to evaluate the lesson. Never had to do a literature review before so finding it a bit tricky. I don't have much of a background in education so don't really know where to look first...
Reply 1641
This thread is crazy. I am currently doing a pgce, its not bloody hard. Teaching is not rocket science. The course is time consuming with a ton of paper work but it is not hard!! Organisation is key. If you are feeling stressed then ask yourself 'am i on the front line in afghan?' 'Do i live in syria?' 'Am i fighting cancer or some other horrible disease?'. Unless the answer is yes then chill out and get on with it!l
Original post by aj_12
This thread is crazy. I am currently doing a pgce, its not bloody hard. Teaching is not rocket science. The course is time consuming with a ton of paper work but it is not hard!! Organisation is key. If you are feeling stressed then ask yourself 'am i on the front line in afghan?' 'Do i live in syria?' 'Am i fighting cancer or some other horrible disease?'. Unless the answer is yes then chill out and get on with it!l

Was there any need for that, really? So you're finding it easy. Yay for you. Others don't find it so easy. In fact the stress does largely come from the fact that its so time consuming, not that we don't know how to plan a lesson or teach.

I dread to think how you treat students who are stressed out or are finding schoolwork difficult.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/i
Original post by nati_jade
Hi guys i'm struggling a bit with my first essay. We have to evaluate a lesson based on certain 'criteria' for instance I have chosen literacy and use of ict in literacy. We then have to do a short literature review which is the basis for evaluating the lessons. The bulk of the essay should be the evaluation of the lesson. I guess my issue is how exactly I squeeze in a literature review of literacy and ict into about 500 words each and still cover everything I need to cover in order to evaluate the lesson. Never had to do a literature review before so finding it a bit tricky. I don't have much of a background in education so don't really know where to look first...

Are you writing it at level 6 or level 7? I'm afraid I can't much help as I've never done anything similar but maybe look at some lit reviews in journal articles to see what they're looking for. I know the level 7 examples they've given us is basically just a synthesis of authors, usually quite brief and to the point. Searching in some primary education journals for relevant articles might be a good start :smile:
Original post by Kidders
Now into my 3rd month of the secondary PGCE course and i can honestly say i have never looked forward to Xmas quite as much as i currently am! This has been the hardest few months i have ever experienced. Such a massive amount of work to be done all the time. Lesson plans still taking me hours and I'm never more than a day ahead of myself! Assignment due in 2 weeks and not even beyond the introduction. Getting home at 5pm every night due to the distance of my placement school and leaving at 7:20am every morning. Weekends written off and relationship with my partner suffering!

Anyone else feel this way too?

Also a little reminder to all those wanting to apply for next year; this is CERTAINLY not an option for you if you're doing it just to put off finding a job! HUGE step up from undergrad degree!! (i think the MA students are a little better prepared)

Rant over. :colondollar:

I think you have to put it all into perspective. I, for example,am a healthcare student. I have to leave at 6am to start my 7am shift. I finish at 8.15pm. That's an almost 14 hour shift. I don't get paid, all I get is the hours. Although I'm not paid I am still expected to (and do) work hard, especially if things are short staffed. Working in healthcare is also no easy feat. Think children are hard work? Try attempting to help injured drunks and get nothing but abuse, or trying to calm down families fighting among very ill people, or when someone starts having a seizure, or is in diabetic ketoacidosis, or arrests. If you've had a really busy shift, and finish at 8pm, then don't get home until past 9pm, sometimes it can be virtually impossible to wind down and relax enough to sleep ready for the 5am start and 7am shift in the morning. Then I have to also attend University, and find time in an already 50 hour + week to do assignments, presentations, revise for exams, etc. To top it all off, when I've actually finished my training the pay isn't that great and the hours/work will only increase.

It's a good thing that I love what I do, otherwise I would have quit long ago. I suppose that's what you have to think about too....do you love what you do? Do you love it enough to put the work in? If you do the hard work and hours will be worth it. If you don't, try not to turn into one of those teachers that hate school/children/people/life :wink: (I had many:P). I'm sure the lesson plans etc will comes more easily once you're used to it, and you'll soon adjust to the longer days. Good luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Let's not turn this into a competition of 'whose job/course is harder'. Each one has their own challenges, and therefore can't easily be compared. Of course healthcare (and other roles) are stressful, but that doesn't make teaching any LESS stressful than it is to the people who are doing it
Original post by *Interrobang*
Let's not turn this into a competition of 'whose job/course is harder'. Each one has their own challenges, and therefore can't easily be compared. Of course healthcare (and other roles) are stressful, but that doesn't make teaching any LESS stressful than it is to the people who are doing it

Well perhaps I am a tad biased as teachers (more specifically teachers unions) annoy me quite a lot. They get long holidays, nice hours, pay is not that bad and yet they strike at the drop of a hat. For someone to complain about leaving at 7.20am and getting home at 5pm is, to me, ridiculous. Doesnt most of the country do that?

All these people negging me can you tell me what is so hard about teaching? Frontline workers, e.g soldiers, healthcare workers, firefighters...up against catastrophe and war, emergencies....whereas teachers teach children. By FAR the easiest job and yet they make the most noise. It's super annoying. Can anyone tell me why exactly a teachers job is so hard?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by La_Chiquita
Well perhaps I am a tad biased as teachers (more specifically teachers unions) annoy me quite a lot. They get long holidays, nice hours, pay is not that bad and yet the strike at the drop of a hat. For someone to complain about leaving at 7.20am and getting home at 5pm is, to me, ridiculous. Don't most of the country do that?

School hours may be good, but teachers have a lot to do outside of lessons and therefore don't get the full holidays even. I lived with someone who had been a teacher for over a decade and she would work 80+ hour weeks
I think for me, I leave at 7.15, get back just after 6, and if at that point, when I got home, I could switch off and have a couple of hours to myself before I go to sleep I'd be fine. It's the coming back home and having an overwhelming amount of stuff to do that takes getting used to. And knowing that no matter how late I stay up and how little sleep I get I'm still not going to get everything done. I think once I'm able to tell myself that I've done the best that I could in the time I had available and not feel guilty things will be a lot better.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by *Interrobang*
School hours may be good, but teachers have a lot to do outside of lessons and therefore don't get the full holidays even. I lived with someone who had been a teacher for over a decade and she would work 80+ hour weeks

Yes but if you consider that against the rest of the population. Teachers don't 'even' get the full holiday...what is it 8,9 weeks a year? Most people only get 28 days. Lots of healthcare workers will have to work late if there's an emergency, or be on call, or stay behind unpaid to do paperwork etc. My sister is a PA and sometimes she's in the office until 8pm, and always bringing work home. My boyfriend is a journalist and some days isn't home until 10pm. I'm not saying that teaching isn't difficult,or stressful, I'm sure it is. But it just seems as though collectively teachers are never satisfied, despite the fact that most of the working population face similar pressures (but don't strike every time they feel like it).
Original post by La_Chiquita
Yes but if you consider that against the rest of the population. Teachers don't 'even' get the full holiday...what is it 8,9 weeks a year? Most people only get 28 days. Lots of healthcare workers will have to work late if there's an emergency, or be on call, or stay behind unpaid to do paperwork etc. My sister is a PA and sometimes she's in the office until 8pm, and always bringing work home. My boyfriend is a journalist and some days isn't home until 10pm. I'm not saying that teaching isn't difficult,or stressful, I'm sure it is. But it just seems as though collectively teachers are never satisfied, despite the fact that most of the working population face similar pressures (but don't strike every time they feel like it).

I've worked full time, had several jobs before teaching (worked 32hours a week whilst doing my degree and gained a FIRST and worked full time whilst doing my MA - not easy) and nothing has prepared me for the colossal amount of work I've had to do as a teacher. Yes, I'm in my NQT year, so hopefully it will get easier, but I've worked 8am until 11pm the last three days (half term) plus working today, tomorrow and Sunday (not Fri/Sat night) on tasks that I didn't even think about when entering teaching or during my PGCE year. For one hours teaching, there is at least an hour of planning, making a range of differentiated resources and marking (still taking me ages). Some although we may be at 'home', it certainly doesn't mean that there is't work to be done - the pressure to be 'Outstanding' is overwhelming!

Thinking of all you PGCERS :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
PGCE students or those thinking of teaching, avert your eyes. There are many positives to the job; felt so proud when writing my year 11 references this week :biggrin:

From TES
The statutory working hours for teachers are 195 days a year across 39 term time weeks. The statutory working hours are 1265 hours when this is divided by the number of days it works out at 6 hours and 45 minutes per day, which can be presumed to be 6 hours work and 45 minutes lunch based on a working day of 8.30 am 3.30 pm. On this basis, the actual number of working hours is 1170 excluding lunch.
Having taken account of the number of working days, this leaves teachers with 66 days of holiday a year (inclusive of all bank holidays, including May Day).

Outside of teaching there are 261 business days a year (excluding weekends). The average office worker gets 24 days holiday a year with an additional 8 bank holidays, creating a total of 32 days. The average working day is 9am 5pm with an hour for lunch. The number of working hours in a year are therefore 229 days x 7 hours a day = 1603 working hours excluding lunch.

Here’s the initial comparison (excluding lunch breaks):

Teacher: 1170 working hours per year
Office Worker: 1603 working hours per year
Teacher: 6 hour working day
Office worker: 7 hour working day
Teacher: 66 days holiday inclusive of bank holidays
Office worker: 32 days holiday inclusive of bank holidays.

However, these calculations do not take account of teachers’ extra hours which I have estimated below. Please note that my estimates are based on personal experience and observation of colleagues and teaching family members and the number of extra hours may be more or less in individual cases. These estimates are the number of hours spent yearly on each activity:

Parents’ evenings: 15 hours
Open evenings: 3 hours
After school meetings: 12 hours
Extra-curricular (very conservative): 39 hours
Detention / intervention: 78 hours
Planning, preparation, marking (term time week nights @ 2 hours a night): 390 hours
Planning, preparation, marking (term time weekends @ 6 hours): 234 hours
Planning, preparation, marking (during school holidays, conservative estimate of 3 days per holiday across all three half terms, Easter, Christmas and Summer = 6 x 3 days @ 6 hours per day): 108 hours.
Total: 879 hours

On this basis a teacher works 2049 hours across the year.

Let’s do the comparison again, just looking at the number of hours worked per day (presuming none on the weekend), but leaving the holidays the same:

Teacher: 2049 working hours per year
Office worker: 1603 working hours per year
Teacher: 10.5 hour working day
Office worker: 32 days holiday inclusive of bank holidays

Okay, so it’s clear that if you average a teacher’s workload out they have a significantly longer working day than the average office worker, but don’t the holidays more than make up for this? After all they have a whole 34 extra days!

So let’s have a look at a comparison of teacher’s working hours on the basis of having the same holiday entitlement as an average office worker:

Officer worker: 1603 working hours per year
Teacher: 9 hour working day
Teacher: 32 days holiday inclusive of bank holidays (would have to continue working 9 hours a day during the other 34 days ‘holiday’)

It doesn’t look so good now does it? Even with an average number of days holiday a teacher would still need to work 2 more hours a day than average to fit in everything they do in a year. So… what happens to the holiday entitlement if we give teachers a standard 7 hour working day? Take into account that there are 261 business days in a year.

Teacher: 7 hour working day
Teacher: 292 working days per year
Office worker: 229 working days per year
Teacher: No holiday days and 31 weekend days a year worked in excess of business days
Officer worker: 32 days inclusive of bank holidays.

Its terrible how much time off teachers have is
n’t it?
Original post by jaime1986
PGCE students or those thinking of teaching, avert your eyes. There are many positives to the job; felt so proud when writing my year 11 references this week :biggrin:

From TES
The statutory working hours for teachers are 195 days a year across 39 term time weeks. The statutory working hours are 1265 hours when this is divided by the number of days it works out at 6 hours and 45 minutes per day, which can be presumed to be 6 hours work and 45 minutes lunch based on a working day of 8.30 am 3.30 pm. On this basis, the actual number of working hours is 1170 excluding lunch.
Having taken account of the number of working days, this leaves teachers with 66 days of holiday a year (inclusive of all bank holidays, including May Day).

Outside of teaching there are 261 business days a year (excluding weekends). The average office worker gets 24 days holiday a year with an additional 8 bank holidays, creating a total of 32 days. The average working day is 9am 5pm with an hour for lunch. The number of working hours in a year are therefore 229 days x 7 hours a day = 1603 working hours excluding lunch.

Here’s the initial comparison (excluding lunch breaks):

Teacher: 1170 working hours per year
Office Worker: 1603 working hours per year
Teacher: 6 hour working day
Office worker: 32 days holiday inclusive of bank holidays.

However, these calculations do not take account of teachers’ extra hours which I have estimated below. Please note that my estimates are based on personal experience and observation of colleagues and teaching family members and the number of extra hours may be more or less in individual cases. These estimates are the number of hours spent yearly on each activity:

Parents’ evenings: 15 hours
Open evenings: 3 hours
After school meetings: 12 hours
Extra-curricular (very conservative): 39 hours
Detention / intervention: 78 hours
Planning, preparation, marking (term time week nights @ 2 hours a night): 390 hours
Planning, preparation, marking (term time weekends @ 6 hours): 234 hours
Planning, preparation, marking (during school holidays, conservative estimate of 3 days per holiday across all three half terms, Easter, Christmas and Summer = 6 x 3 days @ 6 hours per day): 108 hours.
Total: 879 hours

On this basis a teacher works 2049 hours across the year.

Let’s do the comparison again, just looking at the number of hours worked per day (presuming none on the weekend), but leaving the holidays the same:

Teacher: 10.5 hour working day

Okay, so it’s clear that if you average a teacher’s workload out they have a significantly longer working day than the average office worker, but don’t the holidays more than make up for this? After all they have a whole 34 extra days!

So let’s have a look at a comparison of teacher’s working hours on the basis of having the same holiday entitlement as an average office worker:

Officer worker: 1603 working hours per year
Teacher: 9 hour working day
Teacher: 32 days holiday inclusive of bank holidays (would have to continue working 9 hours a day during the other 34 days ‘holiday’)

It doesn’t look so good now does it? Even with an average number of days holiday a teacher would still need to work 2 more hours a day than average to fit in everything they do in a year. So… what happens to the holiday entitlement if we give teachers a standard 7 hour working day? Take into account that there are 261 business days in a year.

Teacher: 7 hour working day
Teacher: 292 working days per year
Office worker: 229 working days per year
Teacher: No holiday days and 31 weekend days a year worked in excess of business days
Officer worker: 32 days inclusive of bank holidays.

Its terrible how much time off teachers have is
n’t it?

oh my god, when you put it like that, why am I doing this again :tongue:
Can't believe some one has resurrected an ancient part of this thread just to have a go at how teachers 'have it easy'.....bloody hell! Another thing teachers have to contend with; being constantly put down. Always blame the teachers!!

This is a thread for PGCE students, anything else is just trolling in my opinion. Just saying.
Hi

I'm on week 3 of my first placement ( secondary school) and I am really doing battle with bottom set year 9s. I cannot get them to be quiet, especially as I do not want to shout, my voice cannot take it.

so - my question - does anyone have, or know where I can get - a good audio of nails being scraped down a blackboard? My plan, is next time they are not listening, is to play that audio, until they shut-up (and then tell them that they will hear said horrible noise everytime they ignore my requests to be quiet).

Thanks
Original post by smartarse1983
Hi

I'm on week 3 of my first placement ( secondary school) and I am really doing battle with bottom set year 9s. I cannot get them to be quiet, especially as I do not want to shout, my voice cannot take it.

so - my question - does anyone have, or know where I can get - a good audio of nails being scraped down a blackboard? My plan, is next time they are not listening, is to play that audio, until they shut-up (and then tell them that they will hear said horrible noise everytime they ignore my requests to be quiet).

Thanks

Sorry to hear you're having a bit of trouble. My Year 2s are pretty rowdy but there's no major behaviour issues which I'm grateful for. Don't have any nails scraping sounds but I found having a timer up on the board and starting it every time they waste my time, and then keeping them back in their breaktime worked pretty well when I taught teachers. Just be careful not to punish the kids who are well behaved too!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by smartarse1983
Hi

Thanks

Well you could find such a thing on YouTube but I wouldn't go down that road. Not fair on the good kids. I'm an NQT doing battle with 2 of my own groups of year 9 and the best advice I have for you is wait. Just wait, and you can be silently noting down time wasted and the names of those who are wasting it on the board. It will probably feel like a lifetime standing and waiting for them but it is worth it.

You're right not to shout, especially not over them. I have done that a couple of times in a vague attempt to let the kids who were listening know what to do, but it's not worth straining your voice over.

I do have one other thing that's vaguely worked for me- give them a starter on a sheet of paper outside the room when they're lining up- that way the expectation of work is set (and at the very least they will have probably done one useful thing). My 'starter' is pretty much always a worksheet consolidating last lesson.

Had my first PGCE related nightmare last night! I'm teaching 2 art lessons next week, making a bonfire and firework picture using collage and straw blowing paint. I've been pretty worried about not having enough materials at school for it so I've bought some bits like tissue paper and cellophane, but don't want to spend too much. Anyway, I'm teaching on Tuesday, but in my nightmare I got it wrong and was actually teaching on Monday, I'd bought none of the materials in, had no example to show them, didn't have my ppt ready and just couldn't do it, it was a disaster, in the end my mentor stepped in with a backup lesson she'd prepared because she expected me to mess up :frown:

On another tangent completely... I've decided I'd like to look for jobs in London. Does anyone know where to start with the job hunt? Beyond TES Jobs I haven't got a clue!!
Original post by Sarang_assa
Had my first PGCE related nightmare last night! I'm teaching 2 art lessons next week, making a bonfire and firework picture using collage and straw blowing paint. I've been pretty worried about not having enough materials at school for it so I've bought some bits like tissue paper and cellophane, but don't want to spend too much. Anyway, I'm teaching on Tuesday, but in my nightmare I got it wrong and was actually teaching on Monday, I'd bought none of the materials in, had no example to show them, didn't have my ppt ready and just couldn't do it, it was a disaster, in the end my mentor stepped in with a backup lesson she'd prepared because she expected me to mess up :frown:

On another tangent completely... I've decided I'd like to look for jobs in London. Does anyone know where to start with the job hunt? Beyond TES Jobs I haven't got a clue!!

I've had that before!

Other places to look for jobs... Eteach is somewhere schools might post if they don't use TES, and otherwise it's LEA websites.

Reply 1659
:redface: Frazzled is how you feel and I know cause I feel it too!!! I am exactly the same 2nd year PGCE, I keep hearing myself say is this really for me, I have never been as stressed in my life and I have been in youth work and social work. I was with friends at the weekend and all that I am thinking about are lesson plans, schemes and essays and trying to be creative too in the classroom, its like its took over my life. I keep making mistakes such as double booking myself which I have never done and I think its all because of stress, I am sure it will get better once the initial shock of the reality of teaching kicks in, I didnt realise there would be so much workload, sometimes the teachers are still at college at nine or ten at night, but saying that I think I would be gutted not to finish, I am going to grit my teeth get it done and then decide once I have the qual i have been told loads that it will get easier so hold on in there with me and remember its not life and death stuff its just a post grad:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending