The Student Room Group

The ordinary degree dilemma

Before i get into what happened i want to state my current position: Second year Engineer dropped from honours to ordinary degree despite my 2:1 this year. Going into third year with the possibility of getting an ordinary degree.

I failed my first attempts due to lack of sleep and a series of all nighters. My second attemps i didn't do because i thought i'd do it in my second year and wanted to do it later and relax in my holidays. The third attempt i didn't take because my second year exams were really hard and i couldn't cope, I didn't know of the 3 attempt rule either.

I never even heard of an ordinary degree.. When my lecturer told my my only option i almost felt faint. I tried hard this year and now i just don't know how i will even get a job or even tell my mum.

My lecturer said that i have to convince employers with my character and experience.

Any help would be great,
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I was just offered a 22k graduate job with a BSc ordinary degree so it's definately possible! I studied civil engineering at university and managed to get a graduate civil engineer job with my local council.
Reply 2
Someone I know got an ordinary degree and he managed to get into Oil and Gas; but not sure if that's because of his scholarship or internal links.
Reply 3
Original post by Alba Gu Brath
I was just offered a 22k graduate job with a BSc ordinary degree so it's definately possible! I studied civil engineering at university and managed to get a graduate civil engineer job with my local council.

How did you do it? what did you put on your CV ? how many applications did you have to send??
And i'm thrilled someone in your position got one!
I just applied through the council's online application form. I didn't send many CVs out and got 3 interviews! I don't know how it is for chemical engineering but for civil there's still jobs available for people with BSc/HNDs and many of them have decent starting salaries!
Two people from my year were recruited to major oilfield services companies with just ordinary degrees as they didn't want to do their honours year and I'm sure their starting salaries were in the mid 30s. It's definitely possible to get a job with just an ordinary degree, although it's unlikely to be a graduate level job.
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
Two people from my year were recruited to major oilfield services companies with just ordinary degrees as they didn't want to do their honours year and I'm sure their starting salaries were in the mid 30s. It's definitely possible to get a job with just an ordinary degree, although it's unlikely to be a graduate level job.

It seems like people from scotland are only getting the jobs. Could you tell me how long ago was it that they got the jobs?
Original post by kinghassan78
It seems like people from scotland are only getting the jobs. Could you tell me how long ago was it that they got the jobs?

A year ago.

I wasn't saying that everyone with just an ordinary degree will get a well paying job; merely providing examples to say it's possible.

People in Scotland are getting jobs because the Scottish university system makes ordinary degrees much more common and not something you just 'fail' down to. So Scottish employers put some value in ordinary degrees. Your best bet is to try and get your first job in Scotland, and thereafter your degree will have much less impact on job applications.
Reply 9
Original post by threeportdrift
People in Scotland are getting jobs because the Scottish university system makes ordinary degrees much more common and not something you just 'fail' down to. So Scottish employers put some value in ordinary degrees. Your best bet is to try and get your first job in Scotland, and thereafter your degree will have much less impact on job applications.

Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Smack
A year ago.

I wasn't saying that everyone with just an ordinary degree will get a well paying job; merely providing examples to say it's possible.

I may be allowed to join a university at year for chem eng.
Its in london and its 3 hours from my house, it seems daunting to me. Do you think its a good idea to go?

the university london southbank is meant to be rubbish but at least i would get an honours.
(edited 11 years ago)
Its in london and its 3 hours from my house, it seems daunting to me. Do you think its a good idea to go?

the university london southbank is meant to be rubbish but at least i would get an honours.

I honestly have no idea... up to you really.
Reply 12
Original post by Smack
I honestly have no idea... up to you really.

I know difficult situation, But what would you do if it was you?
I know difficult situation, But what would you do if it was you?

Well I hate London so I'd never go there. I'd probably look into the Open University and see what they can offer.

I am in the same dilemma!! So glad theres someone else in he same shoes.
Just graduated with Bsc Mech Eng Ordinary. Seems like scotland is the way..

What is this about London South Bank and Open university? How does this work?
Is it like a top up scheme? Is it possible to get a good grade?
Reply 15
Hiya,
Just joined up to TSR having found your OP.
I can empathise having found myself in a similar position, unable to remain on my chemistry degree due to a bad exam result and resit, I was allowed to carry on and graduate with a science studies degree, which has no honours, having amassed plenty of credits.
At the time (2000) it felt like the end of the world, and for sure it has been difficult to find a job which matches my skills. I started in a distribution centre for royal mail for 7 years which was manual labour basically, then through an agency I started a lab job which didn't seem to require much intellect and paid only 12k. Three years of that left us broke and so now I'm in the police, struggling with the debts of the past few years.
You see my husband who went to the same uni as me and did his honours year but failed it (we had massive family issues going on at the time) didn't find any work for about 5 years after applying for all sorts of jobs ATS, train driver, teaching, lab jobs, oil and gas etc then he started leaving his degree off his cv and got some warehouse jobs and has worked only part time in asda stocking shelves for the past 6 years.

Now we live and studied in Scotland, I really don't know how to get a graduate job here, even with now significant work experience in my field. As for my husband, well he is at his wits end.

Try all you can, work your backside off because as time wears on the opportunities fade and you give up.

Sorry to be so long winded in my answer, but I regret just letting it go and I'm sure my husband wishes his 5 years at uni with placement in Sweden for a year wasn't a total waste of time.
In the mean time the interest on the student loans continues to rise....

All the very best
Drop out and start again ... 1st and 2nd yr should be a breeze because you have done it, so you could even come out with a 1st
It might sound like a big thing now, but later down the line you will realise 2-3 extra yrs is nothing in the bigger picture

My friend dropped out at the end of 2nd year because he was on a 3rd, started again at another uni and came out with a 1st ..
Reply 17
Original post by acemum
Hiya,
Just joined up to TSR having found your OP.
I can empathise having found myself in a similar position, unable to remain on my chemistry degree due to a bad exam result and resit, I was allowed to carry on and graduate with a science studies degree, which has no honours, having amassed plenty of credits.
At the time (2000) it felt like the end of the world, and for sure it has been difficult to find a job which matches my skills. I started in a distribution centre for royal mail for 7 years which was manual labour basically, then through an agency I started a lab job which didn't seem to require much intellect and paid only 12k. Three years of that left us broke and so now I'm in the police, struggling with the debts of the past few years.
You see my husband who went to the same uni as me and did his honours year but failed it (we had massive family issues going on at the time) didn't find any work for about 5 years after applying for all sorts of jobs ATS, train driver, teaching, lab jobs, oil and gas etc then he started leaving his degree off his cv and got some warehouse jobs and has worked only part time in asda stocking shelves for the past 6 years.

Now we live and studied in Scotland, I really don't know how to get a graduate job here, even with now significant work experience in my field. As for my husband, well he is at his wits end.

Try all you can, work your backside off because as time wears on the opportunities fade and you give up.

Sorry to be so long winded in my answer, but I regret just letting it go and I'm sure my husband wishes his 5 years at uni with placement in Sweden for a year wasn't a total waste of time.
In the mean time the interest on the student loans continues to rise....

All the very best

Thank you for your reply :smile: I know I'm bright, I have only myself to blame i have found a lot of opportunities here and there but they're all ifs and buts. I think its set me back 2 years whatever i do but hopefully i'll come out stronger and if things go as planned i reckon i could be back on top.

Thanks and i wish you well
Reply 18
Original post by freeurmind
Drop out and start again ... 1st and 2nd yr should be a breeze because you have done it, so you could even come out with a 1st
It might sound like a big thing now, but later down the line you will realise 2-3 extra yrs is nothing in the bigger picture

My friend dropped out at the end of 2nd year because he was on a 3rd, started again at another uni and came out with a 1st ..

If it really comes to it i will but right now, its bad idea the tuition fees are ridiculous i need to get a job to support my family.
My parents have given up too much for me already and i want to spend more time making my home better.

And yeah i have thought about it, but i think i should get my degree here first before i do anything, at least i'll have something i guess.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
If it really comes to it i will but right now, its bad idea the tuition fees are ridiculous i need to get a job to support my family.
My parents have given up too much for me already and i want to spend more time making my home better.

And yeah i have thought about it, but i think i should get my degree here first before i do anything, at least i'll have something i guess.

Hi, I saw your post and thought I would add something. My son went through the same thing as you did a year ago and graduated from a good university with an Ordinary degree in computing - he came home depressed and disillusioned and sure he would not get a job - it was the first time he had ever not acheived what he wanted educationally. He could not face more university and was really upset about telling us his parents as everyone was sure he would graduate at around 2:1. As a parent, the first thing is that we would rather know! He was so obviously depressed but took his time to tell us which made things harder on him. A year on and he is working for an IT Co as a software developer salary around £26k. It is not impossible to get a job with an ordinary degree - it takes a bit more determination and maybe some luck. When I looked into his options the Open University seemed the best for topping up a degree and the benefit was that it can be done at your own pace. I wish you the very best and hope everything works out well.

Quick Reply

Latest