The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doppel
To be honest, the IB is a joke. If I were you, I'd pick a different course, such as A-levels.

I'm curious as to know why you think so? Because I personally found the A-Levels to be a joke and that's why I switched to the IB.
Original post by Sofia1234
Do i need math HL to be an accountant? a chartered accountant?

[INDENT]Hello everyone! I'm aiming to become a chartered accountant.. and i was wondering if i need math HL to become one.. i already have economics and business as HL's.. i have to choose between english and math HL.. i tried math HL but i dont know if ill be able to cope with it.. so id like to avoid taking it.. but to become a chartered accountant do i need math HL? or will math SL suffice? and what are my chances with math SL[/INDENT]

Different universities look for different courses in different countries. So if you can tell us which universities in which countries you're specifically aiming for, we can probably give you some useful advice.
Reply 1002
Original post by arrowhead
I'm curious as to know why you think so? Because I personally found the A-Levels to be a joke and that's why I switched to the IB.

I did the IB, got 44 points so it's not a question of me finding it too hard or anything, in case that was what you were suspecting (I had Bio HL, Math HL, Chem HL, History HL, Swedish A1 SL, English A2 SL). I just find the structure of the course, especially the amateuristic and disorganised marking system a joke, not to mention Theory of Knowledge which undoubtedly is a pathetic imitation of philosophy. Everything in its syllabus is so primitive and simplistic it was nothing more than a complete waste of time.
Reply 1003
I'd say you're making a huge generalisation here where you're supplanting your preferences for everyone's in essence. Personally, creative writing is super easy for me and that is why if I had 3/4 written internal assignments to be based on such, I would be ecstatic because it wouldn't've even been a challenge; but the 1,500-word academic written paper where you use sources, which, believe it or not, actually makes things harder for most people unused to doing research, doesn't sound as close to much fun.

An inherently fun, typified interactive oral activity as compared to a literary commentary on the merits of a particular component of a component of a book that nobody enjoyed reading, which you have to somehow make interesting and discussible in an oral format. Yeah, I think that level of difficulty between those two is pretty clear.

Ummm...No. Even if you're expected to use the same skills for analysis as in Literature; it's fundamentally different when you try to use said skills on a complicated work of a literary scholar...and a comic strip.

You kind of give the answer in the justification: "[you] find the course much more enjoyable than straight Literature," which eases the feel of the workload tremendously. Besides, having a greater volume of assignments doesn't make a course more challenging. Case and point: We do one 2,000-word IA in History HL but four 750-word IAs in Economics HL; quantitatively Economics IAs are much more work, but realistically, I could write an Economics IA in one night and get a 7, but a History IA takes weeks and months to get right. Quantity >/> Quality.

What you're saying is fair and I take your point but as I said I take both Literature and Language and Literature at HL in two different languages and so I think I have a fair perspective on both.

Essentially, Lang & Lit is (Lit-repetitive parts)+creative stuff and language. The courses both have the Oral Commentary with exactly the same requirements. It is the 10 minute oral presentation in literature, which you must agree is very easy, which is replaced by 2 oral activities, which although are largely creative require quite a bit of preparation in order to be able to talk for 45-60 minutes. Both courses therefore include the harder IOC and a second, easier oral component, which in Lang Lit is considerably more time-consuming.

Of the (at least) 4 written tasks you do in Lang Lit, only 3 are "creative", which depending on who you are may be easier or harder accordingly. However, the "written task 2" is a traditional essay just like the "literature in translation" essay from the Lit course, but 500 words shorter (800-1000 rather than 1200-1500).

As a last point, the "estimated mark-bands" for Lang&Lit released by the IB are higher (Paper 1 18/20 for a 7 rather than typical 17/20 for lit, don't know p2 off the top of my head). Even if you find the Lang & Lit p1 Comparative analysis easier than the Lit p1 commentary, the markband is higher.

The point of my post wasn't to instigate any arguments between Lit and Lang & Lit students, rather to advise people who think that by switching from Lit to Lang & Lit they are "dropping" and making their IB easier that this may not (and probably will not) be the case. Since no students have sat the examination yet we can't look at statistics for overall grades and component grades to make any sort of (however fallacious) conclusions.
Different universities look for different courses in different countries. So if you can tell us which universities in which countries you're specifically aiming for, we can probably give you some useful advice.

Probably a university in america.. theres no specific ones at the moment.. what do most of them prefer?
or AUS (american university of sharjah) in the UAE
Reply 1005
Original post by Doppel
To be honest, the IB is a joke. If I were you, I'd pick a different course, such as A-levels.

People are here on this thread because they've already decided to do the IB and want to know about subjects. Posting something like this is completely unhelpful.
Reply 1006
Original post by saachi
People are here on this thread because they've already decided to do the IB and want to know about subjects. Posting something like this is completely unhelpful.

On the contrary, I was trying to help people stay away from the IB.
Reply 1007
Original post by Doppel
On the contrary, I was trying to help people stay away from the IB.

Won't help if people have already decided. If you really want to help people stay away from the IB go post in the "Should I take IB or A-levels?" threads rather than this one.
Reply 1008
Original post by saachi
Won't help if people have already decided. If you really want to help people stay away from the IB go post in the "Should I take IB or A-levels?" threads rather than this one.

I apologise. I only saw this one pop up at the "latest discussions" and thought this was the only IB thread.
Reply 1009
Original post by Doppel
I apologise. I only saw this one pop up at the "latest discussions" and thought this was the only IB thread.

There are TONS of IB or A-levels threads, they keep cropping up every two weeks or so :tongue:
Reply 1010
How's this subject combination if I wanted to do a geography degree (possibly combined with global studies/hong kong studies/spanish)?

English A1 Literature HL
Spanish B HL
Geography HL

Biology SL
Maths Studies SL
History SL
(edited 11 years ago)
Hello I'm thinking of going either into engineering or economics and I intend taking these subjects:
HL Mathematics
HL Physics
HL Economics
SL German A1
SL English B
SL Spanish ab initio

My question: If I'm aiming for a top university, will taking English B instead of taking English A2 (I'm a German student and I will do my IB in England) and Spanish ab initio put me in a disadvantage? Some people say universities only look on your Higher Levels other say universities like LSE or Cambridge prefer A Languages and don't like ab initio languages so I am a little bit confused :s-smilie:
Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by Tobi7623
Hello I'm thinking of going either into engineering or economics and I intend taking these subjects:
HL Mathematics
HL Physics
HL Economics
SL German A1
SL English B
SL Spanish ab initio

My question: If I'm aiming for a top university, will taking English B instead of taking English A2 (I'm a German student and I will do my IB in England) and Spanish ab initio put me in a disadvantage? Some people say universities only look on your Higher Levels other say universities like LSE or Cambridge prefer A Languages and don't like ab initio languages so I am a little bit confused :s-smilie:
Thanks in advance! :smile:

The Ab Initio language is not much of an issue, but English B SL probably is: many would require B HL standard, or at least some equivalent to it that is significantly above B SL anyway. Going by the fact your post uses nearly perfect English and you haven't even started the course yet, I would recommend you ask your school/college if you can take it as a 4th higher level subject :smile:
Thank you for your quick reply! :smile: Taking a 4th Higher Level subject wouldn't be a problem but isn't taking English A2 SL a better idea? Is the workload in English A2 SL or English B HL higher? Because I think my subject combination is quite tough especially HL maths and physics so I don't want to make my combination more difficult. Furthermore I am not good at writing essays or analyzing texts so I want to take the option I have to do as few as possible things like this. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thank you for your quick reply! :smile: Taking a 4th Higher Level subject wouldn't be a problem but isn't taking English A2 SL a better idea? Is the workload in English A2 SL or English B HL higher? Because I think my subject combination is quite tough especially HL maths and physics so I don't want to make my combination more difficult. Furthermore I am not good at writing essays or analyzing texts so I want to take the option I have to do as few as possible things like this. :smile:

English A2 no longer exists as a subject: Instead of A2, there is now Literature (formerly A1) or Language & Literature. Lang/Lit is harder than the previous A2 course, arguably as hard as Lit for some students and is designed for native students. If you think you would be able to cope with it by all means go ahead, but it is harder and you would have to analyse literature as well as media etc in English. If it is available to you it will mean you wouldn't have to take an additional english language competency test before uni though, so I would suggest you try it and then move to B HL should it be too challenging. In any case, stay away from B SL English at all costs if you want to study in the UK.
But why is it so important to take something above English B SL? Will taking English B SL and doing an additional English language competency test before university decrease my chances getting into a top university?
Thanks for your answers :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
But why is it so important to take something above English B SL? Will taking English B SL and doing an additional English language competency test before university decrease my chances getting into a top university?

Not really, if you do well on the IELTS/TOEFL exam, I don't see why it would be a problem for you at all. But it would show that you pushed yourself and get you a better looking application with a higher level of English. Of course this will only matter if you're applying to university somewhere in the UK or the US.
Ok I will talk to my school and decide what level of English to take.
Reply 1018

Most UK universities will require English A1 at Standard Level at a minimum grade of 4. Have a look through their entry requirements, though, and even call a couple and ask- better safe than sorry.
Hi
I have the opposite problem to the earlier poster, my choices are
English Lit HL
German Lang & Lit SL
History HL
Physics HL
French B HL
Maths SL
My question is can i make the school let me take German Lang & Lit, I live in Germany and am acing IGCSE German second language. My Teacher last year recommended I move to native German but the class was full and I am on the 2nd language track so no go there. With the IB it is a new start (same school) and we can choose what we want, but I am worried they will try to stop me doing this.

If I can't my choices will be
German B HL
French B SL
History HL
English Lit HL
Physics HL
Maths SL
I need the Physics for the German universities and that is why I want the highest possible German so I can study here. Also I love languages and want to study them in University.

Latest

Trending

Trending