The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Asia Pacific Studies applicants (2013-14)

When I was applying for Asia Pacific Studies here at UCLan, I had questions I wanted answered by a current student perspective, no the University's perspective if you know what I mean. Sadly, I found no one!

So if you are thinking about applying to study Asia Pacific next year and you have any questions answered by a current student's perspective, feel free to ask :wink: I'll do my best.

Scroll to see replies

How is the course? I've got an offer and I've been to an open day but I'm still not sure about how I feel about Preston and UCLan as a whole
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Toast_n_Gravy
How is the course? I've got an offer and I've been to an open day but I'm still not sure about how I feel about Preston and UCLan as a whole

Hey Toast :smile: I know what you mean. I am very happy with the university itself, but not very much with Preston. I must say that I come from big cities though, so I find it quite dull!

About the course. I know people who are loving it and people who don't. Those who don't is because they were 'expecting something else', so make sure this is exactly what you want before accepting the offer. My modules are "Japanese language x2", "The Shaping of the Asia Pacific", "Background to Japan", "Background to Korea" and my elective "Korean language". There are two other module options which are something like "politics" and "nationalism and imperialism in Asia". I can't tell you much about the last two as I am not undertaking them, but I can tell you about mines. You can also take "Background to China" if you are doing Chinese language instead of Japanese.

In the Shaping of the Asia Pacific you cover topics such as religion (Shintoism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism), the impact of European colonialism in the Asia pacific, the rise of chinese nationalism, Asia Pacific region in Global economy, the four little tigers (Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea), Human rights and Asian values among many many others, so make sure you are interested in this kind of things (my favorite subject and favorite professor :tongue:)

In Background to Korea we cover the ancient Korean Three Kingdoms, from Goryeo to the colonial period, the division of North and South Korea, mythology, korean art, family and society... again, among many others. It is basically a mixture of history and culture.

In Background to Japan, it's more about the same, but obviously Japan. Mixture of history and culture, the Meiji period, Heian period, art, their values and society, etc. (must say that until today I found it a bit boring, but now it's getting better!)

Then we've got the language route. That completly depends on what you want to do. I am doing Japanese, but I had very bad luck and I don't get well with my teacher at all (>_<) there are many different teachers though, and the bad thing is that we've only got 4 hours per week while Chinese has 6 hours. We are complaining about that and trying to get 6 full hours from next year onwards.

Overall I am really, really enjoying it and I find it very interesting, but that's because that is what I was expecting from the course, I don't know what you are expecting or looking for. You also said that you weren't sure about UCLan as a whole... I have to say that we've got a lot of support: wiser, futures, the "i", etc. I had quite a few problems at the beginning and they have always been there to help me with a big smile =) they could improve a little bit more their organisation though, or so I think.

Anyway, if you have any other questions you can pm me or just post it here. I'll be happy to help :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ahotaru

Anyway, if you have any other questions you can pm me or just post it here. I'll be happy to help :wink:

Thanks! It sounds really good, I would be taking Japanese and probably the Korean elective as well! I like the sound of the modules (tbh you sold it to me more than the professors at the open day) I have a friend who did a year doing Japanese at UCLan and hated it and dropped out so I was a little dubious but you make it sound a lot better :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Toast_n_Gravy
Thanks! It sounds really good, I would be taking Japanese and probably the Korean elective as well! I like the sound of the modules (tbh you sold it to me more than the professors at the open day) I have a friend who did a year doing Japanese at UCLan and hated it and dropped out so I was a little dubious but you make it sound a lot better :biggrin:

Haha, I'm glad it helped! Korean and Japanese at the same time is tough though! just saying :tongue: also, if you are taking Korean as an elective, in your year abroad you can do half and half (6 months in Japan and then 6 months at a Korean university studying Japanese) that if you want, you can always choose the whole 12 months in Japan if appeals better to you.

I don't know why your friend didn't like it, I'm happy with it so far and all my friends too, I guess it is something very personal! I've heard people loving my professor and people hating her... so maybe it depends in the way you learn and all that stuff. Anyways, I hope you will like it as well! :smile:
Reply 5
Hi, I'm currently taking the beginners korean elective at uclan (although not as an elective, im taking it as a member of the public, ie paying for it...)

im doing this in the hopes that it'll help me get accepted onto the asia pacific course with korean as my language, because i don't have the required grades (i did a fashion diploma rather than a-levels)

i'm 21 now so classed as a mature student, do you think i'd have the chance of getting onto the course regardless of my grades because i have previous knowledge of korean? :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by baekhyun
Hi, I'm currently taking the beginners korean elective at uclan (although not as an elective, im taking it as a member of the public, ie paying for it...)

im doing this in the hopes that it'll help me get accepted onto the asia pacific course with korean as my language, because i don't have the required grades (i did a fashion diploma rather than a-levels)

i'm 21 now so classed as a mature student, do you think i'd have the chance of getting onto the course regardless of my grades because i have previous knowledge of korean? :biggrin:

Hiya Baekhyun! :smile:
Hm, let see. You cannot do Asia Pacific Studies with Korean as your main language... Korean can only be chosen as an elective, so you would have to chose either Japanese or Chinese with Korean as an elective. It might change in the future because lately there has been many people joining Korean classes, but you never know. At the moment, that's not possible.

And about getting into the course with just a Fashion Diploma and Korean as an elective... uf, sorry, but I don't know the answer to that. I have no idea about admissions, but it sounds highly unlikely that they would accept you only with that. I wouldn't give up though, ask the school office at Fylde Building (I am not sure if it's them who you should talk with, but they could refer you to the correct person) and then find out. Show them what you can offer them and what they would be missing if they don't take you. Make sure you do well in Korean, that would prove that you are serious and that you really want to do well ^^
Original post by Ahotaru
Hiya Baekhyun! :smile:
Hm, let see. You cannot do Asia Pacific Studies with Korean as your main language... Korean can only be chosen as an elective, so you would have to chose either Japanese or Chinese with Korean as an elective. It might change in the future because lately there has been many people joining Korean classes, but you never know. At the moment, that's not possible.

I think as of 2013 it might be, from the letter I got from UCLan it looks like you can now take Chinese, Japanese, Korean or Russian
Reply 8
Hello~!
I've applied for Korean, and I've chosen Lancashire as my insurance place. I'm worried because it seems nobody is doing Korean haha; I was the only student on the applicant day pahah
Reply 9
Original post by JubilantYou
Hello~!
I've applied for Korean, and I've chosen Lancashire as my insurance place. I'm worried because it seems nobody is doing Korean haha; I was the only student on the applicant day pahah

Hey!

Korean is a relatively new course, they will offer Korean Language as a proper degree and not just as an elective from next year onwards. I don't know how many people is applying for Korean next year, but there are maaaaaany students taking Korean as an elective, so many that they had to open two more groups because all the students wouldn't fit in the classroom, and had to sit down on the floor and on the tables, lol.
Original post by Ahotaru
Hey!

Korean is a relatively new course, they will offer Korean Language as a proper degree and not just as an elective from next year onwards. I don't know how many people is applying for Korean next year, but there are maaaaaany students taking Korean as an elective, so many that they had to open two more groups because all the students wouldn't fit in the classroom, and had to sit down on the floor and on the tables, lol.

Haha, yes I heard about this from both the students at the applicant day and the teachers xD The teachers were lovely!
Reply 11
Original post by JubilantYou
Haha, yes I heard about this from both the students at the applicant day and the teachers xD The teachers were lovely!

Haha, I guess you mean Hae Sung Jeon and Kwang Ho Chun? yeah, they are both very nice, and Hae Sung is very approchable :smile:
Hello, I am holding an offer from UCLAN to do Asia Pacific Studies but I want to do Chinese instead of Japanese. Reading your reply to everyone else in this thread was very helpful to me. I'm very interested in languages and culture especially Chinese and Korean, but some of the replies mentioned that they will offer Korean as a proper degree and not just an elective next year (meaning starting September2013?). Will they still offer Korean as elective because I really would love to do Chinese as my major language in this course and learn Korean too as minor.
And mentioning about study abroad, half and half if you're doing Korean as an elective got me excited as well. I would loooove an opportunity to study in two of my fave countries. :biggrin:

Anyways, your course sounds so exciting but daunting at the same time. How are the exam and do you have coursework? Or is it all exams? How many modules are compulsory? You have 5 right? ("Japanese language x2", "The Shaping of the Asia Pacific", "Background to Japan", "Background to Korea" and elective "Korean language".) Is that the same to the Chinese course? (apart from Chinese instead of Japanese)
You mentioned "politics" and "nationalism and imperialism in Asia" are those compulsory too? Because they sound scary.

Thanks for taking your time with this thread, it's very helpful :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by 7in1Infinite
Hello, I am holding an offer from UCLAN to do Asia Pacific Studies but I want to do Chinese instead of Japanese. Reading your reply to everyone else in this thread was very helpful to me. I'm very interested in languages and culture especially Chinese and Korean, but some of the replies mentioned that they will offer Korean as a proper degree and not just an elective next year (meaning starting September2013?). Will they still offer Korean as elective because I really would love to do Chinese as my major language in this course and learn Korean too as minor.
And mentioning about study abroad, half and half if you're doing Korean as an elective got me excited as well. I would loooove an opportunity to study in two of my fave countries. :biggrin:

Anyways, your course sounds so exciting but daunting at the same time. How are the exam and do you have coursework? Or is it all exams? How many modules are compulsory? You have 5 right? ("Japanese language x2", "The Shaping of the Asia Pacific", "Background to Japan", "Background to Korea" and elective "Korean language".) Is that the same to the Chinese course? (apart from Chinese instead of Japanese)
You mentioned "politics" and "nationalism and imperialism in Asia" are those compulsory too? Because they sound scary.

Thanks for taking your time with this thread, it's very helpful :biggrin:

Hey, I'm glad you are finding the thread helpful! that was the point :h:

Even though they are offering Korean as a proper degree from Sept 2013, you should still be able to take it as an elective. I know many people who are doing Spanish, French, German etc on the elective root and those languages are proper degrees too. Actually, there are soooo many languages you can do for electives: Thai, Vietnamese...

In terms of coursework, for the language modules you do portfolios, homework, exams and a proper presentation during the year (or more). On your second year you have the big placement test (in your case Chinese) that will test you to find out what your weaknesses are, so that they will know which university you will go to (year abroad) depending on the areas you need to work on. For modules such as The shaping of the Asia Pacific and the Backgrounds, you do two essays and two presentations a year. If you are doing Chinese instead of Japanese, you would have Background to China instead of Background to Japan :smile: unless you want to take it as an elective.

Regarding "Politics" and "Imperialism and Nationalism in Asia", hm, I am doung Imp and Nat during my second semester and I am finding it very interesting! we do India (Ghandi, Jinnah, etc), Thailand/Siam, Japan (Meiji Restoration, the Tokugawa, etc) and China (CCP, KMT, etc). Again, you have essays and presentations that will become your final grade. Anyway, these two are not compulsory, just optional, so you don't have to take them if you don't want to ^^

Hope it helped!
Original post by Ahotaru

Hope it helped!

It was very helpful, thank you! There were lots of information you gave me that I never knew~ it was very helpful^^
Reply 15
Hi! I applied late for APS, I will be studying Korean. Can I study Japanese or Chinese as an elective or are these just proper degrees?
Reply 16
Original post by noiree
Hi! I applied late for APS, I will be studying Korean. Can I study Japanese or Chinese as an elective or are these just proper degrees?

You can, indeed :smile:
Reply 17
Hello, Im Kieron
Today I got into APS through clearing because I didnt make it into sheffield or SOAS.
fortunately, i still had decent enough grades to get into APS.
Im thinking of taking chinese, and Korean as my elective.

Im currently in china, and ive fallen in love with the language!

Since I haven't been to any open days,whats the learning environment like for studying APS? can you tell me anything you know about what the classes are like?

Or we could maybe possibly exchange emails and communicate that way.

It would be great to have some friends, before actually beginning the course.

hopefully one of yous read my post and reply.

thankyou :}
Reply 18
Hi Kieron! UCLan was my insurance choice too. Though I am taking Korean as my major, I think that Chinese is very beautiful language and China interesting region overall. I would love to visit in that country. :smile: Maybe I will take Chinese as my elective. I haven't been to any open days either (I am actually from outside of UK), so it would be great if somebody could tell more about studying APS and UCLan.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by noiree
Hi Kieron! UCLan was my insurance choice too. Though I am taking Korean as my major, I think that Chinese is very beautiful language and China interesting region overall. I would love to visit in that country. :smile: Maybe I will take Chinese as my elective. I haven't been to any open days either (I am actually from outside of UK), so it would be great if somebody could tell more about studying APS and UCLan.

Im tempted to choose korean too, as my major. But, ive spent so long studying korean on my own, and can speak quite a bit of korean that I want something relatively new to begin studying.

Yes, China is amazing. I have no doubt that you would love it!

Where is it that you're coming from?

Hopefully, someone on this thread could inform of us a little more of UCLan.

I'm curious as to what the classes are like?
Also, which building will it be that our classes are most held?
Do we have a busy timetable or will we have some free days during the week?

:}

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending