The Student Room Group

Big problem re Nottingham offer and fee status

I got an offer from Nottingham a couple of days ago, but when I looked at the conditions it said "this offer is dependent on an international fee status."

:lolwut:

I'm not British, but I'm domiciled here - I've lived here for 12 years and I definitely qualify for the home fee status (I applied as normal like British people.)

I emailed Nottingham to ask them to clarify what was going on and to point out that I qualify as a home student and they replied saying "once you have firmly accepted your place we would look into your fee status further. You may be asked for further details down the line."

How can they actually do that? Are they allowed? I absolutely qualify for the home fee status! Are they expecting me to choose them as my firm and just see whether I'm going to have to pay insane international fees?!
:afraid:

Would be grateful if somebody could shed some light on this! :erm:
I would image it's just a standard thing - you can only go to university if you have organised some way of paying for it, usually through the UK student loan system. Perhaps you need to talk to someone in student finance. Here's a bit of very basic info: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview
There should be a phone number somewhere on the site - give them a call, they're the experts. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by dragonkeeper999
I would image it's just a standard thing - you can only go to university if you have organised some way of paying for it, usually through the UK student loan system. Perhaps you need to talk to someone in student finance. Here's a bit of very basic info: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview
There should be a phone number somewhere on the site - give them a call, they're the experts. :smile:

Yes, I have organised a way of paying for it - I qualify for home student fees and will be getting a normal student loan. :tongue: My offer could be reassessed though if I don't pay the international fees, which is wrong!

Thanks for the phone number though. :smile:
Original post by berryripple
Yes, I have organised a way of paying for it - I qualify for home student fees and will be getting a normal student loan. :tongue: My offer could be reassessed though if I don't pay the international fees, which is wrong!

Thanks for the phone number though. :smile:

In which case it's probably a standard thing - my offers ask for it too, it's just the university's way of ensuring they will get some money from somewhere. It'll probably just be automatically sorted out at a later date when you apply for student finance.
Reply 4
Original post by dragonkeeper999
In which case it's probably a standard thing - my offers ask for it too, it's just the university's way of ensuring they will get some money from somewhere. It'll probably just be automatically sorted out at a later date when you apply for student finance.

Oh do they?! That's relieving. Do you also live here but aren't British?
Reply 5
But surely the offer being "dependent on an international fee status" means the offer only stands if I pay the international fees?
Reply 6
Sorry, I just want to clarify why this is two different accounts - I'm logged into my account and my boyfriend forgot and just carried on replying on his thread :tongue:
Reply 7
It doesn't sound normal to me
Original post by berryripple
But surely the offer being "dependent on an international fee status" means the offer only stands if I pay the international fees?

I think it is worse than this. Your offer only stands if you qualify for international fee status. You don't have the option of writing them a big cheque. If you qualify for home status you don't meet the offer. The only way you can qualify for this offer is to emigrate now.

Original post by Juno
It doesn't sound normal to me

I agree.

You should be speaking to the university (the central administration not the department) and also to UCAS and if UCAS agree with what has been said on this thread, you should be getting UCAS to speak to Nottingham.
Reply 9
The reasons for this is simple :

1. Universities are allowed to recruit unlimited International students (because they pay full cost fees) but limited to specific numbers for Home students per course (because the UK government subsidise Home fees).

2. Universities quite reasonably do not do a full fee assessment on everyone who applies. They dont have enough staff time for that. This Uni has clearly decided that it will only send time looking at students who intend to actually come to the Uni. Yes, they might risk loosing people as 'Firm' because of this, but that is obviously a risk they are prepared to take.

I suggest you contact the main Admissions Office for he Uni - by phone, and ask for their help. If your case is straightforward they may be able to help, but that decision is entirely up to them.
Original post by cjc3676
The reasons for this is simple :

1. Universities are allowed to recruit unlimited International students (because they pay full cost fees) but limited to specific numbers for Home students per course (because the UK government subsidise Home fees).

2. Universities quite reasonably do not do a full fee assessment on everyone who applies. They dont have enough staff time for that. This Uni has clearly decided that it will only send time looking at students who intend to actually come to the Uni. Yes, they might risk loosing people as 'Firm' because of this, but that is obviously a risk they are prepared to take.

I suggest you contact the main Admissions Office for he Uni - by phone, and ask for their help. If your case is straightforward they may be able to help, but that decision is entirely up to them.

That doesn't explain why this person who will (or should) have applied as a home student has been singled out for this treatment.
Reply 11
Original post by nulli tertius
That doesn't explain why this person who will (or should) have applied as a home student has been singled out for this treatment.

The most likely explanation is either that the applicant filled in their UCAS form wrongly - perhaps guided by an inexperienced tutor who hasn't dealt with similar things before, or that Nottingham uni have read the form incorrectly.
Original post by Juno
The most likely explanation is either that the applicant filled in their UCAS form wrongly - perhaps guided by an inexperienced tutor who hasn't dealt with similar things before, or that Nottingham uni have read the form incorrectly.

Exactly, hence the suggestions to contact Nottingham and UCAS.
Reply 13
Or, for instance if the applicant was born overseas, has a personal address in the UK and a parental home address overseas this may suggest they are not a Home student.

Any University has the right to question anyone's Fee status. Too bad the applicant doesnt like it, but that is life.
Original post by cjc3676
Or, for instance if the applicant was born overseas, has a personal address in the UK and a parental home address overseas this may suggest they are not a Home student.

Any University has the right to question anyone's Fee status. Too bad the applicant doesn't like it, but that is life.

1 They seemingly haven't questioned his fee status. They have made an offer conditional on him having an overseas fee status.

2 If, which seems unlikely, what you say is the case, they are unlawfully directly discriminating against him on the grounds of national origins in that they have made him, a home student with an overseas birthplace and overseas parents, a different offer to that they would have made a home student with a UK birthplace and UK parents.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm pretty sure he filled out the form correctly, putting in how many years he's lived here and so on.

Emailing Nottingham was fairly useless so the head of sixth form is going to have a look at the situation and perhaps ring somebody tomorrow.
Okay, so after sending a few emails and even one including a copy of my VISA. They finally got back to me with a productive email.
They are willing to look at my fee again once I have sent a copy of my VISA, passport photo page and a letter from the Home Office.
I have all of these things so hopefully my fee will be changed!
Thanks for the help everyone :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by ThatAmericanKidd
Okay, so after sending a few emails and even one including a copy of my VISA. They finally got back to me with a productive email.
They are willing to look at my fee again once I have sent a copy of my VISA, passport photo page and a letter from the Home Office.
I have all of these things so hopefully my fee will be changed!
Thanks for the help everyone :smile:

Hii, I am pretty much in the same boat as you- except my fee status changes to 'local' this summer. Nottingham have said they might reassess my fee status and so have Warwick, but they've said my status might not change.
I just want to know- did it work out for you? I don't want to leave this to chance and I honestly dont knownwhat to do. Will it not be wrong to charge me overseas fee if student finance England are giving me a student loan?

Thanks,

Niia
Original post by Niia
Hii, I am pretty much in the same boat as you- except my fee status changes to 'local' this summer. Nottingham have said they might reassess my fee status and so have Warwick, but they've said my status might not change.
I just want to know- did it work out for you? I don't want to leave this to chance and I honestly dont knownwhat to do. Will it not be wrong to charge me overseas fee if student finance England are giving me a student loan?

Thanks,

Niia

OP hasn't been online for a year, so I doubt you're going to get a response. I suggest starting a new thread.
Reply 19
Will do, thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending