The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Is a production log just a record of what you did at different dates?
Original post by m rowe29
Is a production log just a record of what you did at different dates?

I think it's just the booklet you have to fill in, but I'm doing like a record of what I did on different days anyway.
What is it? How much work is it? What are grade boundaries for it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
hey
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by arrogant
Use the search bar to find one of the numerous threads that have already covered this topic in extensive detail :smile:

The username says it all.
Reply 3365
Hey,

I really want to the EPQ on either the English Civil War or The Gunpowder plot but can't think of any questions,

Do you guys have any suggestions?
i just finished writing my literature review. it took me forever, beginning to regret choosing "is there an obligation to obey the law" as a topic!

at least it was interesting, finished writing it today (took me 5 and a half hours to do 700 words) and i didnt get distracted much

hoping I've done it right, not too sure haha
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the student room. I joined the student room today because I would really love some help/advice on an EPQ question. For anyone who doesn't know about the EPQ, I need to write a 5000 word essay on a subject of my choice. As I do not know what I would like to do as a job in the future or what I would like to study at Univeristy I am finding this rather difficult!

I am currently studying Geography, Maths,ICT, Economics and Scicence in Society at AS Level.
I am looking at doing my question based on a business/ICT/geography based topic but I haven't a clue what question to do.
I have to pick my question within the next week. I would really really really appreciate it if people would be ale to give me ideas and advice.

I originally was going to do 'how has Steve jobs been succesful' but my teacher said this is a rubbish question and then I was going to do 'how has technology influenced businesses' but again that's a rubbish question.
I really want to pick a question which gives me lots of detail to write about and which I will enjoy researching as I need to use both books and Internet to research .
Thank you for looking at this post.
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the student room. I joined the student room today because I would really love some help/advice on an EPQ question. For anyone who doesn't know about the EPQ, I need to write a 5000 word essay on a subject of my choice. As I do not know what I would like to do as a job in the future or what I would like to study at Univeristy I am finding this rather difficult!

I am currently studying Geography, Maths,ICT, Economics and Scicence in Society at AS Level.
I am looking at doing my question based on a business/ICT/geography based topic but I haven't a clue what question to do.
I have to pick my question within the next week. I would really really really appreciate it if people would be able to give me ideas and advice.

I originally was going to do 'how has Steve jobs been succesful' but my teacher said this is a rubbish question and then I was going to do 'how has technology influenced businesses' but again that's a rubbish question.
I really want to pick a question which gives me lots of detail to write about and which I will enjoy researching as I need to use both books and Internet to research .
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lianafaye
Hi Everyone,

I have to pick my question within the next week. I would really really really appreciate it if people would be able to give me ideas and advice.

Firstly, your teachers a waste of space for saying your original ideas were rubbish.. That's not very professional imo. Secondly, your EPQ should be based around what you wanna study at Uni.. So you should probably pick either ICT or business or geography which you're gonna do at Uni and base it around that rather than a more general "any of these'll do" approach.. Meh, I dunno. If you're gonna do ICT, are you interested in social networking sites? You could kind of relate that to geography I guess with like a "how helpful/how much of a hinderance is Facebook with relation to locality" or something.. Just a suggestion, I don't know. I'm applying for Psych so.. yeah.. not much help, sorry! Good luck though :smile:
Original post by Lianafaye
Hi Everyone,

Hey!

Make sure you choose something that interests you otherwise EPQ will get very boring, very fast! Maybe think about topics in your classes that have interested you that you would like to know more about, though make sure you aren't just repeating parts of the topic you learnt in class as that's against the rules for EPQ.

Your teacher is really wrong and unprofessional to call anything you say 'rubbish', I'd just ignore them they sound like a douche, but the beauty of EPQ is that it's independent meaning that you choose what you study, you would be perfectly within the guidelines of the project to just ignore your teach and do either of those questions anyway.

The Steve Jobs question is really interesting but you have to be wary of a) the topic not being broad enough for the 5000 word essay and all the research you need to document for it and b) Steve Jobs has been in the media a lot since his death so he and his work might be a really common EPQ topic for this year and last year, that said though there's not necessarily anything wrong with that - perhaps reword it to how Apple has been successful, or the effect Apple have had on the IT industry.

I really like your second question, there's a lot you could write about too, this article might be an interesting place to start if you decide to go with that - http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/25/thailand-floods-hard-drive-shortage - if you find it an interesting topic I'd say go for it :smile:
Has anyone got an A* with an artefact here?
I've finished my artefact (illustrated book) and I do not know if it's good enough?
What do you think? Cover: http://littlemissnoface.deviantart.com/art/Title-Page-Raw-Illustration-337494412?q=gallery%3Alittlemissnoface&qo=1 Inside: http://littlemissnoface.deviantart.com/#/d5krqpi

I wish I had something to compare it against. I am writing my mini-dissertation now and finishing sketchbook and I want to know if it is okay?
Original post by LittleMissNoface
Has anyone got an A* with an artefact here?
I've finished my artefact (illustrated book) and I do not know if it's good enough?
What do you think? Cover: http://littlemissnoface.deviantart.com/art/Title-Page-Raw-Illustration-337494412?q=gallery%3Alittlemissnoface&qo=1 Inside: http://littlemissnoface.deviantart.com/#/d5krqpi

I wish I had something to compare it against. I am writing my mini-dissertation now and finishing sketchbook and I want to know if it is okay?

I think your grade is mostly decided upon by how well you fill in the booklet (the AQA one).

Also I don't think you should post this on the internet since you haven't been graded for it yet, someone could plagiarise you.
Hey :smile: i want to do my EPQ on the causes/treatments/effects multiple sclerosis but im not actually sure how to turn this into a coherent title question? Any help would really be appreciated! Thank you x
Original post by kanojyoxx
I think your grade is mostly decided upon by how well you fill in the booklet (the AQA one).

Also I don't think you should post this on the internet since you haven't been graded for it yet, someone could plagiarise you.

It's okay the artefact is worthless without the sketch book.

booklet?
It's okay the artefact is worthless without the sketch book.

booklet?

The AQA log book you have to fill in?
Original post by kanojyoxx
The AQA log book you have to fill in?

What do you think makes the booklet high quality?
I don't know if this will help inspire anyone but I personally love my title

"Is extraterrestrial colonization viable?" <3

Also does anybody think I should add a timeframe?
What do you think makes the booklet high quality?

Writing long, detailed answers - not just bullet points. Answering the questions in depth.
Reply 3379
Hi! I've just about finished researching for my EPQ on evidence for an impact causing the end-Permian mass extinction and I'm currently trying to write a plan for the essay bit.

BUT....I don't really understand how to structure it :/ We have been advised at school to do: title/abstract/introduction/literature review/methodology/ results/conclusions/discussion/evaluation/references/appendices, but I don't really understand what some of the sections are and what to put in them i.e. literature review/methodology and also what is the difference between a conclusion and discussion?

Did anyone else structure theirs like that? Or if not how did you do it?

Sorry but my school really aren't giving us much guidance....

Thank you! :smile:

I'm doing AQA btw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending