The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Why is Sussex not in the Russell Group?

Hey everyone :smile:

Not that prestige really matters to me, but I just got an offer from Sussex to study English and I'm kind of confused as to why they're not in the Russell Group? I understand that Sussex isn't on the same level as Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial etc in terms of prestige but I would have thought it's as good as some of the other institutions in the Russell Group? Is it on a technicality, like the fact they don't have a medical school? Or is it just because it's not 'prestigious' enough?

Thanks in advance for any responses :smile:

Okay, having looked at the responses I can now understand that the Russell Group is more about research than prestige :smile: And I am also now aware that Sussex does have an affiliated Medical School!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Morgasm19

Not that prestige really matters to me, but I just got an offer from Sussex to study English and I'm kind of confused as to why they're not in the Russell Group? I understand that Sussex isn't on the same level as Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial etc in terms of prestige but I would have thought it's as good as some of the other institutions in the Russell Group? Is it on a technicality, like the fact they don't have a medical school? Or is it just because it's not 'prestigious' enough?

Because the Russell Group has absolutely nothing to do with "prestige" and everything to do with research incomes, and also a fair amount to do with being a large, multi-faculty university as well.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
It does have an affiliated medical school - Brighton and Sussex... :s-smilie:
Reply 3

I think you're reading too much into it.

Bath isn't in the Russell Group, and Bath is ranked higher in the league tables then Queen Mary, Liverpool, KCL etc
Reply 4
Because being in the Russell Group has nothing to do with prestige, it is about research I think.
Reply 5
Original post by Jammie Dodgers
It does have an affiliated medical school - Brighton and Sussex... :s-smilie:

Ohh sorry haha!
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
Because the Russell Group has absolutely nothing to do with "prestige" and everything to do with research incomes, and also a fair amount to do with being a large, multi-faculty university as well.

Ah okay, thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 7
Is it on a technicality, like the fact they don't have a medical school?

They do have a medical school. BSMS is Sussex and on Sussex campus. Sussex doesn't attract as much research funding as many of the Russell group unis, which is the qualifying factor. Partly cause it's not a huge uni, partly cause it has small science departments and larger arts departments.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
Original post by Pkysam
They do have a medical school. BSMS is Sussex and on Sussex campus. Sussex doesn't attract as much research funding as many of the Russell group unis, which is the qualifying factor. Partly cause it's not a huge uni, partly cause it has small science departments and larger arts departments.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Okay that's really helpful, thanks for your reply :smile:
I like Sussex :h: :awesome:
Reply 10
Original post by Alexandra's Box
I like Sussex :h: :awesome:

Haha I love the look of it, will probably firm it :biggrin: Are you studying there?
Haha I love the look of it, will probably firm it :biggrin: Are you studying there?

It is very nice, quite secluded in itself but only a few minutes by train to Brighton and not long to London! I live nearby and do a medicine programme there. I had a brief tour for a GCSE English day too and I really liked the layout and the lecture theatres. The library looked great but sadly I couldn't go in :frown: Had to Google Image it instead :tongue:
Good luck with your A levels!
Reply 12
Original post by Alexandra's Box
It is very nice, quite secluded in itself but only a few minutes by train to Brighton and not long to London! I live nearby and do a medicine programme there. I had a brief tour for a GCSE English day too and I really liked the layout and the lecture theatres. The library looked great but sadly I couldn't go in :frown: Had to Google Image it instead :tongue:
Good luck with your A levels!

Oh I see, cool :smile: Yeahh it's lovely isn't it :biggrin: I got to go inside the library on the Open Day omg it was amazing :biggrin: Thank yooou :smile:
The Russell Group is a group of large, research intensive universities. Sussex is small and research intensive, so it's a member of the 1994 Group instead.
I don't think it's big enough really, don't suppose it can compete in terms of quantity of quality research with places like Manchester etc.
There's nothing at all wrong with the 1994 group, they aren't automatically 'worse' the Russel groups. Personally I'm really enjoying my time at Sussex :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by discomposure
I don't think it's big enough really, don't suppose it can compete in terms of quantity of quality research with places like Manchester etc.
There's nothing at all wrong with the 1994 group, they aren't automatically 'worse' the Russel groups. Personally I'm really enjoying my time at Sussex :smile:

Yeah the more I think about going there, the more I like the prospect :biggrin: What are you studying there? :biggrin:
Yeah the more I think about going there, the more I like the prospect :biggrin: What are you studying there? :biggrin:

Biology :smile: I'm in first year and loving it so far. Brightons an AMAZING city & the Sussex Downs are beautiful.
I'd really recommend it, feel free to ask me any questions.
Reply 17
Original post by discomposure
Biology :smile: I'm in first year and loving it so far. Brightons an AMAZING city & the Sussex Downs are beautiful.
I'd really recommend it, feel free to ask me any questions.

Aww thank you so much that's really kind :biggrin: I might have to do that actually! Oooh yes how far away is Brighton?
Aww thank you so much that's really kind :biggrin: I might have to do that actually! Oooh yes how far away is Brighton?

Well it takes around half an hour on the bus to get to right near the pier, loads of clubs and pubs are around there so that's probably the main place you'll go at night. It takes like 20mins to get to Sainsburys or Churchill Square shopping center from campus. Buses run all night too & come every 5 minutes in the day which is brilliant :smile:
Reply 19
St Andrews isnt Russell Group either. Which is further evidence that the whole 'Group' obsession is utter nonsense.

Uni of Sussex is a fantastic Campus Uni with a strong academic reputation going back to the 1960s. Brighton is an amazing place to live for 3 years. Go there - you will have a wonderful time.

Quick Reply

Latest