The Student Room Group

Starting uni at 17

So I know most people start uni at the age of 18 and so going out's no problem but I'll only be 17 for most of my first year at uni which I'm a little worried about. Is there anyone who was in my situation and if yes, do you feel it made a difference to your experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Fake ID required, from there nothing much else will be different to their experience
Reply 2
I'm worried about starting at almost 20, my 20th will be a couple of days in
Original post by hmon93

You'll be fine, theres someone on my course who's 25, we had no idea until he told us. And to be fair, we really, really couldnt care less.
Reply 4
Original post by .snowflake.
You'll be fine, theres someone on my course who's 25, we had no idea until he told us. And to be fair, we really, really couldnt care less.

I agree with snowflake. You'll be fine :smile: No one's gonna see it as a big issue at all. Congrats n good luck btw :h:
Original post by hmon93

Snap. But I will be 21 in the December so very close to start of term. Eek. Mind you I am mentally about 10..... :colondollar:
Reply 6
gap year?
Reply 7
Original post by pr3ttyreckless
So I know most people start uni at the age of 18 and so going out's no problem but I'll only be 17 for most of my first year at uni which I'm a little worried about. Is there anyone who was in my situation and if yes, do you feel it made a difference to your experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't worry about it. I know a girl who will be sixteen for most of her first year at uni!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
Original post by T_x
gap year?

I thought about that but there's really nothing I could do or want to do in the year to make it worthwhile :erm:

Original post by anthonyfl
I wouldn't worry about it. I know a girl who will be sixteen for most of her first year at uni!

Wow, that's amazing! Why is that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just if you go to university after S5 in Scotland. It's not difficult to do, if you meet the minimum requirements of a course then you get accepted! For Glasgow University most courses only require AAAB in Highers which isn't too difficult to achieve.

I thought about that but there's really nothing I could do or want to do in the year to make it worthwhile :erm:

I'm in first year and I'm 17 :smile: (I will be for the whole of first year too!) It's not been a problem except if you are a clubbing type the clubs will definitely not let you in if you try to get in with your real ID (I'm not a big fan of clubbing so this wasn't a bother)

Otherwise, it's fine... not much of a difference. At Bristol if you're under 18 when you start you have to sign a form and you have a relatively limited number of residences available (all nice ones, though) so that's a difference. Also, in theory under-18s are not allowed 'positions of responsibility' but at the moment I hold at least three or four so that's not something they look into closely :tongue:

The policy requirements probably depend among universities so once you've firmed one you should probably contact them about it? Anyway, any other general questions feel free to ask me :biggrin:
Original post by punctuation
I'm in first year and I'm 17 :smile: (I will be for the whole of first year too!) It's not been a problem except if you are a clubbing type the clubs will definitely not let you in if you try to get in with your real ID (I'm not a big fan of clubbing so this wasn't a bother)

Otherwise, it's fine... not much of a difference. At Bristol if you're under 18 when you start you have to sign a form and you have a relatively limited number of residences available (all nice ones, though) so that's a difference. Also, in theory under-18s are not allowed 'positions of responsibility' but at the moment I hold at least three or four so that's not something they look into closely :tongue:

The policy requirements probably depend among universities so once you've firmed one you should probably contact them about it? Anyway, any other general questions feel free to ask me :biggrin:

It is mostly the going out at night that I'm unsure about. The thought of missing out is my only real worry :erm:
We had like 2-3 people in our halls in 1st year who were 17.
No different, you just need a fake ID
It is mostly the going out at night that I'm unsure about. The thought of missing out is my only real worry :erm:

I was 17 when I started uni, though it was only for a couple of weeks. I couldn't get into clubs in town as they ID at the door, but I have campus college bars where you only get IDed when you order, so it's very easy for people to buy drinks on your behalf :smile:

Also, as my flatmates knew I was underage, we had a lot of flat parties and drinking at home. You don't have to miss out :smile: And of course, if you have a fake ID, then everything is sorted. My sister had one for a couple of years before she turned 18 and it was always accepted.
Original post by desdemonata
I was 17 when I started uni, though it was only for a couple of weeks. I couldn't get into clubs in town as they ID at the door, but I have campus college bars where you only get IDed when you order, so it's very easy for people to buy drinks on your behalf :smile:

Also, as my flatmates knew I was underage, we had a lot of flat parties and drinking at home. You don't have to miss out :smile: And of course, if you have a fake ID, then everything is sorted. My sister had one for a couple of years before she turned 18 and it was always accepted.

Ahh well, hopefully I make great friends who are sympathetic to my difficulties like you did :tongue: And also, hopefully I procure ID from somewhere for other times!
Ahh well, hopefully I make great friends who are sympathetic to my difficulties like you did :tongue: And also, hopefully I procure ID from somewhere for other times!

Well everybody wants to make friends and get to know everyone. Most people are going to be nice and accommodating :smile: But yeah I was very lucky with my flat; going to live with some of them in second year :smile:

I'm pretty sure my sister ordered hers online, though it was for Spain so I have no idea if it'd work for you :s-smilie:
im 23 and have a child, but people where shocked when they found out

no one has really treat me any differently since finding out (apart from the odd question here and there like 'boy or girl' and 'how old')
I don't think you'll be treated very differently. Apart from getting into clubs and certain social events, you won't experience much difference.
Original post by hmon93

Original post by .snowflake.

this
theres a guy on my course who is 28 i just found out, looks about 21 maybe, still one of my closer friends at uni!

How did you manage to get into uni at the age of 17?

Quick Reply

Latest