The Student Room Group

Are there any drugs that make you smart?

Scroll to see replies

I've heard snorting ready break is good for the brain, injecting it is good for the soul.
Reply 61
Original post by Wilberforce
Weed makes you stoopid, it aint called 'dope' for nuthin'. If you want to get smart just spray the contents of an aerosol can up your nose.

I seriously hope you're joking.
Original post by NobSon
I seriously hope you're joking.

No, it excites your brain and increases activity. I do it all the time and it gives me a rush and improves productivity.
Reply 63
caffeine and modafinil help focus?
Reply 64
Original post by Chubbiness
They're called nootropics.

They can increase cognitive ability and aid concentration.
There are loads of types, pretty much all of them are prescribed for psychological conditions, and some/if not all are illegal to have without a prescription.

If you really want to get some, you'll have to get diagnosed with ADHD or narcolepsy, which means you have to get tested for it and even lie to the doctor.

To be honest, it's all in your mind.
Do you want to be an poor mcdonalds worker when you grow up, or get good grades and get an amazing job and be successful in life?

I don't mind working at Mcdonalds because I believe I was born dumb and stupid and nobody did a proper test on me.
Reply 65
Original post by NO ONE
Like in the movie Limitless.

Serious question guys, I'm not a troll lol. Can anyone suggest me any drugs which make you smart?

I'm just having troubling revising for my final exams thats all and procrastinating isn't helping. I think my case is irreversible :/
i feel like a complete pleb.

My dad's a doctor, so I know about the topic.

I think your question is kind of ridiculous, it's like asking if there is any way you could fly without wings after watching a Superman movie, it's a fiction movie.

Apart from that, there are some drugs that could help you concentrate, but there are NO drugs to STUDY, the drugs that "could" help you concentrate are drugs meant to realistic, mature purposes such as treating ADHD, hyperactivity, or other disorders.

Depending on the level of the illness, you'll be prescripted a stronger or weaker drug. I suppose you want to know about the strong drugs (Since you ask about Limitless).

The most famous strong drug that could be used to "concentrate" is Methylphenidate, comes in the names of: Ritalin, Aderall, Concentra, Rubifen (Spanish-speaking countries...) (Depending on how fast or slow the Methylphenidate releases into your body).

These drugs are drugs meant to be taken by SICK people, people that need it, and they are very strong and have VERY strong side effects (After all, we could say that Methylphenidate is an "amphetamine"). Some side effects? Growth stop, psychosis, triggering schizophrenia, heart problems, loss of lots of weight (and many others)... without forgetting the addiction effect (They are very addictive, just like in the movie).

I got a friend that used Ritalin to study for university. After finishing university, he got into a deep depression due to dopamine levels depletion and wouldn't even leave home for the entire summer (Plus all the side effects that it caused in him that will accompany him all his life).

----

As I said there are no drugs made specifically for people to "study", but there are drugs that could be used to concentrate. Saying that, taking cocaine, amphetamines, or other similar drugs would also help you study.

In fact, Methylphenidate IS ALSO used as a recreational drug. People snort it and go to clubs or rave parties just as they do with cocaine and derivatives.

----

And overall, if you did a trade-off between taking them and not taking them, the side effects (plus high monetary costs, since a doctor won't prescribe it to you if you're not sick), won't ever in the world add up to the benefit you get from them. The benefit you get is marginal, they might help you get a 2-5% more, that's it. The effort and hours on studying still has to be put.

And after all, if you asked a kid suffering from hyperactivity if he would still take Ritalin if he wasn't sick, he would, of course, say "never in the world".

Hugs! Quote if you got questions!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 66
ritalin.
Reply 67
Someone's been watching Limitless.
Its worth pointing out that all these amphetamines people are listing (adderall, ritalin) can make you feel quite rough in terms of after effects.

Ie, it can make you feel 150% when on it, but only 50% in the hours after use, which could balance out as being quite unproductive. I guess as an emergancy its ok in rare uses; simply a more effective caffine.

Some say the occasional use of psychadelics give profound after effects in terms of motivation.
I mean, there were promising studies of LSD being used by scientists to think of new ways to tackle a problem in an abstract way.
Untill it was banned because it spearheaded an alternative youth movement apposing the goverment...So now we have to keep our silence about it.
Original post by MosterGuru
My dad's a doctor, so I know about the topic.

I think your question is kind of ridiculous, it's like asking if there is any way you could fly without wings after watching a Superman movie, it's a fiction movie.

Apart from that, there are some drugs that could help you concentrate, but there are NO drugs to STUDY, the drugs that "could" help you concentrate are drugs meant to realistic, mature purposes such as treating ADHD, hyperactivity, or other disorders.

Depending on the level of the illness, you'll be prescripted a stronger or weaker drug. I suppose you want to know about the strong drugs (Since you ask about Limitless).

The most famous strong drug that could be used to "concentrate" is Methylphenidate, comes in the names of: Ritalin, Aderall, Concentra, Rubifen (Spanish-speaking countries...) (Depending on how fast or slow the Methylphenidate releases into your body).

These drugs are drugs meant to be taken by SICK people, people that need it, and they are very strong and have VERY strong side effects (After all, we could say that Methylphenidate is an "amphetamine"). Some side effects? Growth stop, psychosis, triggering schizophrenia, heart problems, loss of lots of weight (and many others)... without forgetting the addiction effect (They are very addictive, just like in the movie).

I got a friend that used Ritalin to study for university. After finishing university, he got into a deep depression due to dopamine levels depletion and wouldn't even leave home for the entire summer (Plus all the side effects that it caused in him that will accompany him all his life).

----

As I said there are no drugs made specifically for people to "study", but there are drugs that could be used to concentrate. Saying that, taking cocaine, amphetamines, or other similar drugs would also help you study.

In fact, Methylphenidate IS ALSO used as a recreational drug. People snort it and go to clubs or rave parties just as they do with cocaine and derivatives.

----

And overall, if you did a trade-off between taking them and not taking them, the side effects (plus high monetary costs, since a doctor won't prescribe it to you if you're not sick), won't ever in the world add up to the benefit you get from them. The benefit you get is marginal, they might help you get a 2-5% more, that's it. The effort and hours on studying still has to be put.

And after all, if you asked a kid suffering from hyperactivity if he would still take Ritalin if he wasn't sick, he would, of course, say "never in the world".

Hugs! Quote if you got questions!

The drugs are not made to study by the manufactures but that is not the point. The question is do they help normal people to concentrate better and learn more? The answer is they work just as well for healthy people. You don't have a clue how much they help so making up a percentage doesn't add anything.

Of course there are side effects but when people take it to study, they don't take recreational doses. The side effects are no worse for healthy people than sick people.

'(After all, we could say that Methylphenidate is an "amphetamine")'
Why could we say that? methylphenidate is not an amphetamine.
Reply 70
Original post by Sternumator
The drugs are not made to study by the manufactures but that is not the point. The question is do they help normal people to concentrate better and learn more? The answer is they work just as well for healthy people. You don't have a clue how much they help so making up a percentage doesn't add anything.

Of course there are side effects but when people take it to study, they don't take recreational doses. The side effects are no worse for healthy people than sick people.

'(After all, we could say that Methylphenidate is an "amphetamine")'
Why could we say that? methylphenidate is not an amphetamine.

Good luck taking Ritalin. You reminding me of those defending cannabis use in our day to day life apart from medically. They are used to treat certain diseases, not to treat people that have nothing to treat.

Just like Steroids. They are used to treat people with certain medical conditions, yet people ignorantly use them for other purposes. I am into the bodybuilding world and competition, and I have many friends that have to inject testosterone weekly for the rest of their lives because of a misuse of steroids.

Certainly, those substances (like methylphenidate, steroids, cannabis), shouldn't be legally sold without a proper prescription and follow-up by a doctor.
Yes there is a drug that does exactly what you're looking for

I call it NZT-48

It allows the user to access 100% of their brain's capacity instead of the "usual" 20%
Reply 72
[video="youtube;bHA7qkiG6DI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHA7qkiG6DI[/video]
Original post by MosterGuru
Good luck taking Ritalin. You reminding me of those defending cannabis use in our day to day life apart from medically. They are used to treat certain diseases, not to treat people that have nothing to treat.

Just like Steroids. They are used to treat people with certain medical conditions, yet people ignorantly use them for other purposes. I am into the bodybuilding world and competition, and I have many friends that have to inject testosterone weekly for the rest of their lives because of a misuse of steroids.

Certainly, those substances (like methylphenidate, steroids, cannabis), shouldn't be legally sold without a proper prescription and follow-up by a doctor.

Like I said before, just because they are used to treat a certain condition does not mean they are not useful for other things.

Steroids are a perfect example. They are used in medcine but they can also be used for bodybuilding. Steroids allow people to perform at much higher levels in bodybuilding than they would have otherwise, like ritalin they are also effective for other uses. Of course there are downsides to using steroids too but they still work for the non medical purpose. Whether the benefits outweigh the costs is down to the individual, it depends how much you care about been big and how much you care about your health.
Reply 74
Original post by NO ONE
finally..a serious answer. thanks

Ritalin won't work. And using a drug to get smart is like bombing for peace. You can only use what you've got, I'm afraid.

Quick Reply

Latest