The Student Room Group

English - Help me describe a door!

I'm doing a story in English and I'm writing about a guy who has agoraphobia (phobia of leaving a safe place eg. Home) anyway at the begining he's standing infront of the door and for the first sentence I put 'I've been here many tomes before' and then I want to start describing the door but I don't know how to start the description, I was hoping you guys could help me. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Once upon a time there was a door...
Erm you could start by maybe exaggerating how it seems to him, like a massive, tall wall, locking him out of the outside world. It depends how you want to describe the door, if you want to make it something negative in relation to him, you could maybe compare it to the Berlin Wall? How it’s got the better of him many times before? Also, you could maybe mention something about all the people who have gone through before him, all the lives who have passed through it and he only has to make a giant leap of courage to traverse it also?

Hope this helps somewhat! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Use loads of hyperbole. Talk about how the door handle has teeth, how each little grain that makes up the door is staring at him, inducing fear. How the blackness that seeps through the gaps is reaching out to him, trying to find him.
Just some ideas: be creative :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you :smile: The ideas are really helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The door was brown. That is all.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
Original post by QuantumSuicide
The door was brown. That is all.

Wow, that's just screaming A* isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
talk about what the door represents to him, being agoraphobic, i.e. the contrast of it being scary for him but the way to freedom for everyone else. Talk about him feeling the handle, the potential it holds as an object for him to leave his house etc. I would try to connect his emotions to what the door represents to him...

:biggrin: hope this helps
Reply 8
Original post by rosegarden
talk about what the door represents to him, being agoraphobic, i.e. the contrast of it being scary for him but the way to freedom for everyone else. Talk about him feeling the handle, the potential it holds as an object for him to leave his house etc. I would try to connect his emotions to what the door represents to him...

:biggrin: hope this helps

That was actually really helpful, thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TinM
Wow, that's just screaming A* isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, if this is for GCSE, then there's more than a good chance that it deserves the A* grade. :smile:

Reply 10
Oh yeah does this sentence make sense 'My feelings are juxtapose; I feel free, finally in control but the fear of leaving my sanctuary still succumbs me' I don't know :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
The door was all that stood in my way, shielding me from the perilous and almost alien world beyond its thick oaken panels. My hands trembling, I guided my finger ever so slowly around the delicate arched etchings along the top of the door. My hands began to sweat and my breath loudened - why is it all so disquieting! Its golden hinge, dusty and worn, glowed with proud age as I admired the technical intricacies in its ornate structure - once again I was distracting myself. I started and glared directly at my tantalizing egress, my long tormentor, my ancient foe. Dare I choose to liberate myself from this anxious state of introverted woe? Or more to the point, can I?

:pierre:

*cue applause* *cue female screams* *cue crying* *cue the throwing of roses*

OPTIONAL MUSIC TO SET THE SCENE - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUT5rEU6pqM - note this music was intended for comedic effect, it is in fact horrendous when paired with the tale of the man and the door
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TinM
Oh yeah does this sentence make sense 'My feelings are juxtapose; I feel free, finally in control, but the fear of leaving my sanctuary still succumbs me' I don't know :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure about juxtapose, just doesn't quite sound right, how about ambivalent? And an extra comma is needed
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TinM
Oh yeah does this sentence make sense 'My feelings are juxtapose; I feel free, finally in control but the fear of leaving my sanctuary still succumbs me' I don't know :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you change juxtapose to juxtaposed and say 'the fear of leaving my sanctuary still overcomes (overpowers?) me' it would make more sense, but I feel it might work better if you just say his feelings are conflicting rather than juxtaposed.
Reply 14
Original post by Benjy100
The door was all that stood in my way, shielding me from the perilous and almost alien world beyond its thick oaken panels. My hands trembling, I guided my finger ever so slowly around the delicate arched etchings along the top of the door. My hands began to sweat and my breath loudened - why is it all so disquieting! Its golden hinge, dusty and worn, glowed with proud age as I admired the technical intricacies in its ornate structure - once again I was distracting myself. I started and glared directly at my tantalizing egress, my long tormentor, my ancient foe. Dare I choose to liberate myself from this anxious state of introverted woe? Or more to the point, can I?

:pierre:

*cue applause* *cue female screams* *cue crying* *cue the throwing of roses*

OPTIONAL MUSIC TO SET THE SCENE - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUT5rEU6pqM

p.s. don't listen to these english/english lit fags - I'm a scientist and I just owned this ****

Wow. That was AmAZinG! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by cesca42
If you change juxtapose to juxtaposed and say 'the fear of leaving my sanctuary still overcomes (overpowers?) me' it would make more sense, but I feel it might work better if you just say his feelings are conflicting rather than juxtaposed.

Yeah I'll change it, I didn't think I made sense haha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
what if the door was not something to be scared of but something to be exited about only its locked. how would you describe it then?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ColourDog
Use loads of hyperbole. Talk about how the door handle has teeth, how each little grain that makes up the door is staring at him, inducing fear. How the blackness that seeps through the gaps is reaching out to him, trying to find him.
Just some ideas: be creative :smile:

This was very helpful, thank you very much
The old oak door stood tall towering over me, as I reached out to grab the rusted handle, the door opened hardly sending out a loud ear piercing creek from it's hinges. Allowing me to see the black emptiness behind the door that is now wide. I walked forward carefully pulling the door close behind me with another deafening creek as the lightly lightened room turned nightly once more.

That's a way, cause I'm writing a short story and that's a way how I'd describe a door.
Hi guys by the way this website is rubbish and Im never coming back lol >:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending