The Student Room Group

Will I get loose skin if I lose weight?

I'm 190 pounds, 5"6, I want to lose weight but I'm scared of loose skin. Is there any way to minimize it (apart from losing weight as slowly as possible)?

This is the fat distribution in my body:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nobody can guarantee you won't get loose skin, but seeing as you're young and are (I am assuming) planning on losing fat in a healthy way you probably won't get any. Skin is surprisingly resilient, particulary for young people :smile:
Things you can do to reduce/avoid loose skin:

-Lose weight slowly
-Be consistent (ie don't lose a few pounds, gain them back, lose them again)
-Exercise including cardio AND weights
-Drink plenty of water every day.

But ultimately it's down to personal genetics. I lost 7+ stone and haven't had loose skin, but other people would get it by losing one stone. So just give it a go and see what happens :smile: I know it might not seem like it, but loose skin and less fat is better than tight skin and more fat!
To lose weight it'll take time honey, so you won't get loose skin just like that.
Skin is extremely elastic, so if you lose your weight slowly you won't get that much loose skin.

Go for it!
Reply 4
Alright, thanks for the advice :smile:

I just don't want to end up like this

In which case it would just be better to maintain weight (and still get a more healthy lifestyle) rather than lose it with a calorie deficit.
Original post by refillpad
Alright, thanks for the advice :smile:

I just don't want to end up like this

In which case it would just be better to maintain weight (and still get a more healthy lifestyle) rather than lose it with a calorie deficit.

Unfortunately that's just the risk you take when you lose weight. I don't mean to sound rude (although I may do- but remember that I was MUCH bigger than you at one point) but if you get a healthy lifestyle you're still likely to lose weight as you have quite a big tummy, so you'd be just as likely to get loose skin anyway.
Reply 6
If you lose weight, the likely good of you ending up like that is extremely small. I've never seen someone look like that before. If you lose a lot of weight you may get stretch marks and that's all and most people don't even get them.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad Ap
Reply 7
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Unfortunately that's just the risk you take when you lose weight. I don't mean to sound rude (although I may do- but remember that I was MUCH bigger than you at one point) but if you get a healthy lifestyle you're still likely to lose weight as you have quite a big tummy, so you'd be just as likely to get loose skin anyway.

That's alright, I'm not offended. I was under the impression that calories are calories, no matter if they come from processed junk food or home cooked meals? If I eat healthier meals (ones that include veggies which I never eat, but also cheese/butter/oil) I won't lose weight if they all total the calories I need to maintain weight. I already run a lot so that's my exercise, I can factor that in too
That's alright, I'm not offended. I was under the impression that calories are calories, no matter if they come from processed junk food or home cooked meals? If I eat healthier meals (ones that include veggies which I never eat, but also cheese/butter/oil) I won't lose weight if they all total the calories I need to maintain weight. I already run a lot so that's my exercise, I can factor that in too

No, you won't lose weight if you eat enough calories, but I don't understand why you want to maintain your weight. If you have a high BMI then it is unhealthy whether you've got to that point by eating lettuce or lard.

I don't want to be really rude, but you would be better off losing weight. I think the fact you made this thread in the first place means you know that yourself. I've seen people lose a lot of weight and not have any noticeable problems with loose skin, so far as I can tell anyway.

Lose weight, much better for you. You aren't necessarily healthy even if your diet is full of 'good food'. :smile: And good luck of course!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by nacho1996
If you lose weight, the likely good of you ending up like that is extremely small. I've never seen someone look like that before. If you lose a lot of weight you may get stretch marks and that's all and most people don't even get them.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad Ap

I already have a ton of stretch marks all over, some of them are very thick and red going from my hips to my waist, so I already know my skin isn't that elastic and I'm prone to stretch marks

No, you won't lose weight if you eat enough calories, but I don't understand why you want to maintain your weight. If you have a high BMI then it is unhealthy whether you've got to that point by eating lettuce or lard.

Original post by Converse Rocker
I don't want to be really rude, but you would be better off losing weight. I think the fact you made this thread in the first place means you know that yourself. I've seen people lose a lot of weight and not have any noticeable problems with loose skin, so far as I can tell anyway.

Lose weight, much better for you. You aren't necessarily healthy even if your diet is full of 'good food'. :smile: And good luck of course!

It's better than nothing at all, I'll definitely get healthier if I start eating nutrient rich food, right now my diet is almost entirely comprised of junk food. I don't want more self-esteem issues piled on top of or replacing the ones I already have, I'll just have to accept that the damage I did to my skin and body is irreversible, but I can prevent it from continuing
It's better than nothing at all, I'll definitely get healthier if I start eating nutrient rich food, right now my diet is almost entirely comprised of junk food. I don't want more self-esteem issues piled on top of or replacing the ones I already have, I'll just have to accept that the damage I did to my skin and body is irreversible, but I can prevent it from continuing

You don't have to accept anything, you don't know how your body will react to losing weight. As I said, I lost over 7 stone and I have NO loose skin at all. Surely it would be worth a try.
Possibly, but in my opinion you would look better with loose skin than with extra fat.
Reply 13
You won't get loose skin unless you lose too much weight too fast.
Reply 14
You don't have to accept anything, you don't know how your body will react to losing weight. As I said, I lost over 7 stone and I have NO loose skin at all. Surely it would be worth a try.

I know my skin isn't very elastic since I get a lot of terrible stretch marks from gaining weight, some of them are very thick and long, running alongside my hips and waist

I'll consider losing a few pounds since visceral fat isn't good for your heart (I know you can't spot reduce fat, so I'll inevitably lose some from other areas), but other than that I'm going to maintain it and try not to go over maintenance calories.
I know my skin isn't very elastic since I get a lot of terrible stretch marks from gaining weight, some of them are very thick and long, running alongside my hips and waist

I'll consider losing a few pounds since visceral fat isn't good for your heart (I know you can't spot reduce fat, so I'll inevitably lose some from other areas), but other than that I'm going to maintain it and try not to go over maintenance calories.

There is always the option of losing the weight and then having surgery to lose excess skin.

Stretch marks are just because you lose or gain weight too fast. I had loads of the things but never got loose skin. Take it slowly, aim to lose a pound a week, and if you find yourself getting loose skin then you can rethink- but don't rule out losing weight on something that might never even be a problem.
Reply 16
There is always the option of losing the weight and then having surgery to lose excess skin.

Stretch marks are just because you lose or gain weight too fast. I had loads of the things but never got loose skin. Take it slowly, aim to lose a pound a week, and if you find yourself getting loose skin then you can rethink- but don't rule out losing weight on something that might never even be a problem.

I'll try it for a couple of months and see how it goes :smile: Thanks again for the advice.
Reply 17
Wow you have so much potential to have a banging post weightloss body. Word of advice, do not lose your weight too rapidly and moisturise. You'll get stretch marks which you luckily don't have now.
I'd say definitely not!
It's very very unlikely you'd have excess skin left over. Usually that happens if somebody is obese and has shifted more than about 5+ stone. if I've calculated correctly, you're only 13.6 stone. I think you might be lucky.

All I'll say is don't use 'avoiding stretch marks' as an excuse not to lose weight. Like Angel said, you aren't guaranteed to have any problems. I've seen people lose more weight than you would and not suffer.

Still, your choice, and good luck with whatever. :smile: There's an example diet for weight loss in the nutrition section if you want any ideas.

Quick Reply

Latest