The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dudleyian
Yeah same, barely did anything in 2nd year so hoping to make the most of it since this is my final year!

We're only a few days late; and I don't think I would go to the sing-off anyway so only missing a couple of nights. Are you going to do Nottingham and that? Won't have a Freshers t-shirt though - will have to dig my first year one out :biggrin:

Yeah, absolutely everything! Even sing-off if I can find something suitable to wear. Will be a bit difficult to learn the chants in just a few hours though. I don't like the fact that I have to miss 3 nights though. Was your freshers' shirt the Super Hario one?
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 1521
Hey all. I will be an international PHd student starting in Jan. I am so excited! i just sent off my application for housing choosing Henry French and the Holt as my choices. Anyone have any thing to share about these two? I know what the site says but I am wondering if anyone who lived there or know someone who lived there have to say about them.
Reply 1522
Original post by nmanda
Hey all. I will be an international PHd student starting in Jan. I am so excited! i just sent off my application for housing choosing Henry French and the Holt as my choices. Anyone have any thing to share about these two? I know what the site says but I am wondering if anyone who lived there or know someone who lived there have to say about them.

I'm in Harry French right now as a postgrad. I love the building, it's a perfect placement between my department (English) and the market. It makes everything very accessible. I live in Iffley, and I have just about met everyone in the 6 flats we have here. I don't know if there is availability in Tynte or Redholm, but if you get into Harry French it will probably be one of those two.

There is only 1 non-international in our building so it's very mixed and as long as you are willing to knock on other people's doors or ring their doorbell we have had no problem socializing.

I know one of the sub-wardens in the Holt and have seen the outside of the buildings and they look very nice, but they are a very far walk to get to the market and it would probably be safe to try to get shopping done when you can catch a bus if you get in there. Holt looks very large from the outside, but still I have no idea what it look like on the inside.

Good luck with your programme and I hope you get a flat you like. :biggrin:
Reply 1523
Original post by Shacksi
I'm in Harry French right now as a postgrad. I love the building, it's a perfect placement between my department (English) and the market. It makes everything very accessible. I live in Iffley, and I have just about met everyone in the 6 flats we have here. I don't know if there is availability in Tynte or Redholm, but if you get into Harry French it will probably be one of those two.

There is only 1 non-international in our building so it's very mixed and as long as you are willing to knock on other people's doors or ring their doorbell we have had no problem socializing.

I know one of the sub-wardens in the Holt and have seen the outside of the buildings and they look very nice, but they are a very far walk to get to the market and it would probably be safe to try to get shopping done when you can catch a bus if you get in there. Holt looks very large from the outside, but still I have no idea what it look like on the inside.

Good luck with your programme and I hope you get a flat you like. :biggrin:

Thank you! Do you know how long it usually takes for the Uni to get back to you about housing also?

I will be in sports science so I don't know how far that building is from either places but i am sure it will be fine....at least i hope lol
Reply 1524
Original post by nmanda
Thank you! Do you know how long it usually takes for the Uni to get back to you about housing also?

I will be in sports science so I don't know how far that building is from either places but i am sure it will be fine....at least i hope lol

That's right around my department. Literally it wraps around my department. But anyways it is exactly between the two buildings so you will have the same amount of walking to do for class either way, I think...

It took them a few weeks to get back to me on where I was going to live and even then you don't find out exactly until you get here. I walked into my flat without knowing who was living with me. Turned out well, but scary up to that point.

What country are you coming from?
Reply 1525
I am coming from the States. I am wanting to move over in Dec so i can have time to get to know the area before school starts. So i hope it doesnt take a few weeks to get back to me on housing lol
Reply 1526
Original post by nmanda
I am coming from the States. I am wanting to move over in Dec so i can have time to get to know the area before school starts. So i hope it doesnt take a few weeks to get back to me on housing lol

I'm from Illinois, I'm heading back for break, coming back in January, I hope they sort everything quickly for you. If you start to get nervous about how close it gets just call the school. They will probably help you through it or arrange a quicker response.
Hey, I have applied to study Human Biology at Loughborough (2013 intake) and was recently looking at the accommodation. On the website it says that it's unlikely you'll receive a mobile phone signal in the halls as some of them are eco-friendly new builds. Is this true? It was going to be my firm offer but if this is true I may have to re-think as it's not something I fancy going through.

If anyone can recommend which accommodation is nice and why too, that'd be great! (I'd prefer en-suit self catered - thanks)

Flo
Original post by chloflorence
Hey, I have applied to study Human Biology at Loughborough (2013 intake) and was recently looking at the accommodation. On the website it says that it's unlikely you'll receive a mobile phone signal in the halls as some of them are eco-friendly new builds. Is this true? It was going to be my firm offer but if this is true I may have to re-think as it's not something I fancy going through.

If anyone can recommend which accommodation is nice and why too, that'd be great! (I'd prefer en-suit self catered - thanks)

Flo

No, this only affects 1 or 2 halls; vast majority of halls are fine.

It's completely not an issue at Loughborough! :smile:

Flo

In my experience the phone signal wasn't really a problem. Texting was fine, for calls I needed to stay fairly near the window, but it certainly wouldn't put me off any of the halls.

I think there's six halls that are self catered and have en-suite rooms available. Do you know roughly what your budget will be, or have any other preferences? That would help narrow it down further :yes:
Original post by Potally_Tissed
In my experience the phone signal wasn't really a problem. Texting was fine, for calls I needed to stay fairly near the window, but it certainly wouldn't put me off any of the halls.

I think there's six halls that are self catered and have en-suite rooms available. Do you know roughly what your budget will be, or have any other preferences? That would help narrow it down further :yes:

I'm not really fussed on budget, as long as it has an en-suit I'll be fine! 4ft beds would be a huge bonus :-)
No, this only affects 1 or 2 halls; vast majority of halls are fine.

It's completely not an issue at Loughborough! :smile:

Wicked, thanks so much for replying! Are you studying there now? :smile:
I'm not really fussed on budget, as long as it has an en-suit I'll be fine! 4ft beds would be a huge bonus :-)

Well if you want self-catered, an ensuite, and a 4ft bed then you've got a choice of:
Hazlerigg Rutland or Robert Bakewell (the rooms are basically identical) at ~£4800 each
Some of the rooms in Telford at ~£4200 each
The Holt (off campus) at ~£5200
Or some of the rooms in William Morris (off campus, but more central and near the union) at ~£4600 each.

Any of those fit your criteria :yep:
Wicked, thanks so much for replying! Are you studying there now? :smile:

I am yes! Have you visited here yet? :smile:
Reply 1534
Quick question, has anyone had any experience with top-lets, or know anyone who has? Me and a few friends are considering going with them for 2nd year...
I am yes! Have you visited here yet? :smile:

I haven't no. But I do plan to. I missed all the open days as I didn't consider the Uni until fairly last minute but definitely want it as my firm now! I'd like to see the area and accommodation though, is there a way I still can? :-)
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Well if you want self-catered, an ensuite, and a 4ft bed then you've got a choice of:
Hazlerigg Rutland or Robert Bakewell (the rooms are basically identical) at ~£4800 each
Some of the rooms in Telford at ~£4200 each
The Holt (off campus) at ~£5200
Or some of the rooms in William Morris (off campus, but more central and near the union) at ~£4600 each.

Any of those fit your criteria :yep:

Wow thank you! :-) I shall take a look! Are they all fairly close to the lecture halls etc?
I haven't no. But I do plan to. I missed all the open days as I didn't consider the Uni until fairly last minute but definitely want it as my firm now! I'd like to see the area and accommodation though, is there a way I still can? :-)

They run tours of the campus every Wednesday afternoon in term times :smile:

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/open-days/campustours/

Wow thank you! :-) I shall take a look! Are they all fairly close to the lecture halls etc?

It depends which hall and which lecture rooms (they're fairly spread out, but the main ones are pretty central), but nowhere is more than about a 30 minute walk from anywhere, usually less. With the possible exception of William Morris to engineering, you ought to be able to get from any of those halls to any of the lecture rooms within about 20-25 minutes.

What P_T said!

But generally you are free to walk around the campus; it's not closed off to non-students or anything! :smile:

En-suites are overrated. You'll be better off financially having a shared bathroom. Shared bathrooms are cleaned weekly as well, unlike en-suites. So if you're worried about flatmates being messy in the toilet, 9 times out of 10 you won't have any worries. Last year I was in a flat of 8 guys with 2 toilets and never ever had any issues - even after a hefty night out. Would recommend getting a room with a basin though. And yes, 4ft beds are lovely!

One thing I would say though is that one of the fully en-suite halls is being dropped as an official hall this year (The Holt) so you won't get as good a freshers' week if you're there and it might be more competitive for that type of room. Hideously expensive to be there anyway. It costs less to have a Studio Flat in HF or Bill-Mo!

Someone said about how far halls are to lecture theatres: none of the halls are further than a 15-minute bike ride or a 25-minute walk to lectures apart from maybe The Holt to the Civil Eng building. There's a free shuttle bus every 5 minutes between the Union and Engineering/Holywell Park so that cuts the 25-minute walk down to about 15.

Latest

Trending

Trending