The Student Room Group

Dropped out of university and wanting to reapply

I dropped out of Lincoln uni a couple of weeks ago because I hated my course/ being away from home etc. I'm now wanting to reapply to do a different course at a different university... Should I mention on my personal statement that I dropped out? Or should I not mention and assume they'll know?
Also, anyone know how long a personal statement has to be, word wise?
Thanks xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A personal statement can be 4000 characters/47 lines. There is not guideline for words........... since that is all depending...
Reply 2
Well, if I remember correctly, I'm not sure they'd even be able to tell since on your UCAS form you only have to state institutions where you obtained qualifications (and I assume you haven't from your course).
So, if you really don't want to mention it you don't have to, but I suppose if you did want to put it in you could always say something along the lines of why you're more interested in studying this course than your previous course/if you've learnt anything from the experience. To be honest, only put it in if it will be useful. 4000 characters isn't that much, you don't want to waste it :smile: Good Luck!
Hi it is up to you whether to mention in or not but personally I think there is no need. The universities won't need to know that you dropped out and mentioning that you have might affect the way they view you as an applicant. You could however say that you are currently taking time away from education to get some experience etc. A personal statement has to be less than and no more than 4000 characters, which is basically about a page of typed writing.
Reply 4
Thank you! I thought it was 4000 but needed to Double check. And I won't mention dropping out, only that I 'took a break' maybe, haha! Thank you!

Reply 5
Which course was it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPod app
Reply 6
I dropped out of criminology :smile: wanting to do journalism instead

I dropped out of Nottingham Uni this year and have now completed another UCAS form. Apparently, you must include all institutions where you have studied on your UCAS form, regardless of whether you got qualifications or not. I was advised to put a short paragraph about why I dropped out; personally, it was because I made a mistake picking a joint honours course (did English and Philosophy when I should have just gone for Philosophy) and I was also too far from home, though obviously I didn't admit to the latter! ^_^ You can just say that you felt the course wasn't right for you and that you've learnt a lot of lessons from your time at uni that you'll take with you next time, or something along these lines. Good luck with your new application, hope it all goes well for you. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by georgiacwood
I dropped out of criminology :smile: wanting to do journalism instead

Aah okay :smile: Did you not like the uni itself or was it just the course you weren't enjoying? Sorry for the questions but i'm applying there haha! :colondollar:

Reply 9
Original post by hvcxxx
Aah okay :smile: Did you not like the uni itself or was it just the course you weren't enjoying? Sorry for the questions but i'm applying there haha! :colondollar:

It was the course I didn't like.. It's very political and philosophical, not really much actual criminology! I can't fault the uni, I loved the uni and wouldn't have hesitated to swap courses etc but I was just too far from home! Also I found Lincoln to be a pretty rubbish place to live- it's nice that everything's close but it's v small (they don't even have a h&m!!!) and the night life isn't amazing (everything's spread out and v expensive) but don't let me put you off! I know plenty of people there that love it :smile:

Reply 10
Original post by IAmAStegosaurus
I dropped out of Nottingham Uni this year and have now completed another UCAS form. Apparently, you must include all institutions where you have studied on your UCAS form, regardless of whether you got qualifications or not. I was advised to put a short paragraph about why I dropped out; personally, it was because I made a mistake picking a joint honours course (did English and Philosophy when I should have just gone for Philosophy) and I was also too far from home, though obviously I didn't admit to the latter! ^_^ You can just say that you felt the course wasn't right for you and that you've learnt a lot of lessons from your time at uni that you'll take with you next time, or something along these lines. Good luck with your new application, hope it all goes well for you. :smile:

Thank you so much! I think I'll definitely put the paragraph in and thank you for letting me know about having to put my first uni attempt down haha, good luck to you too!

Dont mention you dropped out. I didnt and I did fine with my reapplication. Expect to be interveiwed though!
Reply 12
Original post by the666thmessiah
Dont mention you dropped out. I didnt and I did fine with my reapplication. Expect to be interveiwed though!

Interviewed?! Will I be interviewed because I'm reapplying? Ahhh I wasn't expecting that :frown:

Interviewed?! Will I be interviewed because I'm reapplying? Ahhh I wasn't expecting that :frown:

You may well be. I got AABB (before A*s came out for A levels, so did really well). I reapplied too late (decided to reapply after january) so the length I had out of uni may have come into effect, although dont apply expecting to just get offers, some people I know got interveiwed, some didnt, depends on the universities you apply to.

Just be prepared for that inevitibility! good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by the666thmessiah
You may well be. I got AABB (before A*s came out for A levels, so did really well). I reapplied too late (decided to reapply after january) so the length I had out of uni may have come into effect, although dont apply expecting to just get offers, some people I know got interveiwed, some didnt, depends on the universities you apply to.

Just be prepared for that inevitibility! good luck!

Dreading that then haha! Did you have to put a reference down because you were applying as an individual? I don't know whether to ask my personal tutor (who was nice but a bit brusque and a bit.... Ditzy) or one of my seminar tutors (who was lovely, articulate and I think liked me more haha!) do it matter if I have a reference from a seminar tutor or does it have to be my personal tutor? This is all so confusing haha!

Reply 15
I dropped out as well but figured there was no need to mention it in my new PS, seemed to be a waste of words. Fill it up with stuff you can win them over with, why you like the course, blahblah=)
You SHOULD list your previous attempt at uni in your education section.

"Where have you studied?
In this section please enter the names of the schools, colleges and other centres (eg university) you have attended and are currently attending.

Once you have entered details for a school, college or university, click 'save'. You can then add your qualifications on the next screen or mark this section as complete. "

If you weren't supposed to list centres/school/unis where you didn't recieve formal qualifications then the question: "Did you / will you receive any formal qualifications at this centre?*" wouldn't be necessary.

If you don't mention it then you're deliberately withholding relevent information from your application (and tbh it isn't the sort of information that will result in you being rejected).

Once you enrol at a university they will realise that you've previously enrolled elsewhere (the Higher Education Statistics Agency and UCAS will both pick up on the prior study and flag it to the new university). Dropping out and applying again is unlikely to impact your application - deliberately misleading a university IS likely to impact your application.

------------------------

You don't NEED to mention it in your PS, especially if the dates in the education section make it clear that you were only at the old uni for a very short period. You might WANT to mention it in your PS if it was part of the process that convinced you that a new subject was right for you and if you want to reassure the new university that your new course/university choices will not result in a repeated drop out. Alternatively you might want to get your referree to mention it. This is all completely up to you and down to what your reasons for leaving and applying for a new course are and whether your previous study/dropping out is of any relevence to your current application.
Reply 17
Original post by PQ
You SHOULD list your previous attempt at uni in your education section.

"Where have you studied?
In this section please enter the names of the schools, colleges and other centres (eg university) you have attended and are currently attending.

Once you have entered details for a school, college or university, click 'save'. You can then add your qualifications on the next screen or mark this section as complete. "

If you weren't supposed to list centres/school/unis where you didn't recieve formal qualifications then the question: "Did you / will you receive any formal qualifications at this centre?*" wouldn't be necessary.

If you don't mention it then you're deliberately withholding relevent information from your application (and tbh it isn't the sort of information that will result in you being rejected).

Once you enrol at a university they will realise that you've previously enrolled elsewhere (the Higher Education Statistics Agency and UCAS will both pick up on the prior study and flag it to the new university). Dropping out and applying again is unlikely to impact your application - deliberately misleading a university IS likely to impact your application.

------------------------

You don't NEED to mention it in your PS, especially if the dates in the education section make it clear that you were only at the old uni for a very short period. You might WANT to mention it in your PS if it was part of the process that convinced you that a new subject was right for you and if you want to reassure the new university that your new course/university choices will not result in a repeated drop out. Alternatively you might want to get your referree to mention it. This is all completely up to you and down to what your reasons for leaving and applying for a new course are and whether your previous study/dropping out is of any relevence to your current application.

Thank you so much, this is so helpful! :smile:

i know this thread is really old but i was wondering what
Thank you so much, this is so helpful! :smile:

i know this thread is really old but i was wondering what happened with your application? i am in the exact same boat right now and did not mention my previous study at another university on my application and now im worried that i should have :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Original post by Dominiquee06
i know this thread is really old but i was wondering what

i know this thread is really old but i was wondering what happened with your application? i am in the exact same boat right now and did not mention my previous study at another university on my application and now im worried that i should have :s-smilie:

I also know this thread is old but Im also in the same situation. How did your application go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending