The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

So tired I can't even think. :sigh:
I have no idea why I've never read much Catullus before. He's quite a poet. :lol:
Original post by The Lyceum
I love questions like that...I'd go for Trimalchio.

Presentation to do on Menander's influence on western drama. Menander wrote about the lives of everyday Athenian citizens.

Would I blow my Oxford-educated tutor's mind if I compared it to Coronation Street? :colone: (Only in the passing ...).
(edited 11 years ago)
According to Tumblr:

50 Shades of Grey was Twilight fanfiction

Twilight was inspired by Muse

Muse come from England

England traces its roots back to the Anglo-Saxons and Romans

Therefore Julius Caesar wrote 50 Shades of Grey

Someone should stab Caesar

:colonhash:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
Presentation to do on Menander's influence on western drama. Menander wrote about the lives of everyday Athenian citizens.

Would I blow my Oxford-educated tutor's mind if I compared it to Coronation Street? :colone: (Only in the passing ...).

Hmm noone will be blowing anybody's mind I'm afraid. Students typically heavily over estimate their own ability contra to the tutors as it is, when you factor in their reading, research and publishing experience and then add their teaching career its safe to say they've heard it all. As long as you don't come out with something racist/insane/borderline retarded they've probably heard it.

As for Coronation street, I don't know what it's like but if its a SitCom then Menander is often held to be the originator of the genre.

Basically they're after something like Menander > Plautus > Shakespeare > Friends.

For Menander to Plautus Anderson's "The Barbarian Play" is useful, also the Cambridge Companion to Greek and Roman Theatre has shed loads of stuff in. I don't know, I don't usually do this sort of stuff.
Original post by The Lyceum
Hmm noone will be blowing anybody's mind I'm afraid. Students typically heavily over estimate their own ability contra to the tutors as it is, when you factor in their reading, research and publishing experience and then add their teaching career its safe to say they've heard it all. As long as you don't come out with something racist/insane/borderline retarded they've probably heard it.

As for Coronation street, I don't know what it's like but if its a SitCom then Menander is often held to be the originator of the genre.

Basically they're after something like Menander > Plautus > Shakespeare > Friends.

For Menander to Plautus Anderson's "The Barbarian Play" is useful, also the Cambridge Companion to Greek and Roman Theatre has shed loads of stuff in. I don't know, I don't usually do this sort of stuff.

I know, I was joking. :tongue: The guy is so smart, no one will be able to impress him ... Plautus? Thanks for the tip. :colone:

The essay is 5,000 words, and it's due for Monday. We've studied 13 plays this semester. I haven't started it yet due to my essay for Friday.

There's a girl in another class we have who's a total arse, she isn't even in the Aristophanes class. My friend was telling her yesterday she hadn't started the essay either, and the girl goes "What do you mean you haven't started a 5,000 word essay for Monday yet? :rolleyes:" I sat there like :lolwut: as my friend actually started to explain herself to her. I would have told her to **** off, she isn't even in the class.

I usually over-write so I'm not worried about getting it done on time, just the quality (as no one in our class knows what's going on ...).
Tutor: "Read relevant sections of Pausanias for Thursday."

*has copy of Pausanias, goes to Moodle, tutor has put up entire text and hasn't specified which bits she wants us to read*

:indiff:
I've been set an essay on the terribly broad topic of 'Virgil's Aeneid and Homer' and I've decided to write the essay on death. I write on the most obscure things XD
Tutor: "Read relevant sections of Pausanias for Thursday."

*has copy of Pausanias, goes to Moodle, tutor has put up entire text and hasn't specified which bits she wants us to read*

:indiff:

I seem to have something similar in one of my history seminars. So I now have to read the whole thing. :sigh:
Original post by SirMasterKey
I seem to have something similar in one of my history seminars. So I now have to read the whole thing. :sigh:

Apparently she did verbally specify a chapter which I didn't hear in the last seminar. Managed to wing it though. :colonhash:
Apparently she did verbally specify a chapter which I didn't hear in the last seminar. Managed to wing it though. :colonhash:

Awesome for you. I have a new tutor doing this seminar so no chance of me being told. Time to get reading that, then all my work for Catullus before I can spend the weekend (and to a large extent Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) work free with the family coming out to visit me.
Awesome for you. I have a new tutor doing this seminar so no chance of me being told. Time to get reading that, then all my work for Catullus before I can spend the weekend (and to a large extent Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) work free with the family coming out to visit me.

Just finishing an essay on Ovid which I'm convinced sucks balls, and as soon as I hand it in I have to start a 5,000 word essay for Monday, THEN I have to start a presentation on Menander for Thursday so I am ****ed :frown:
I have no idea why I've never read much Catullus before. He's quite a poet. :lol:

My Catullus reading class has totally been my favourite all term. Some of the really old tutors seem to kind of tiptoe around the dirty stuff and they're like "ahem, I believe this is a phallic reference" whereas I've got a really awesome graduate student leading mine who's just like "YES BLOWJOBS EVERYBODY LOVES BLOWJOBS" xD

According to Tumblr:

50 Shades of Grey was Twilight fanfiction

Twilight was inspired by Muse

Muse come from England

England traces its roots back to the Anglo-Saxons and Romans

Therefore Julius Caesar wrote 50 Shades of Grey

Someone should stab Caesar

:colonhash:

What's so great about Caesar? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, Brutus is just as smart as Caesar, people totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar! And when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody? Because that's not what Rome is about!!! WE SHOULD ALL JUST TOTALLY STAB CAESAR.
Original post by riotgrrl
What's so great about Caesar? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, Brutus is just as smart as Caesar, people totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar! And when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody? Because that's not what Rome is about!!! WE SHOULD ALL JUST TOTALLY STAB CAESAR.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

I got the Ovid essay done. I loooove the Metamorphoses but I was starting to confuse myself. :colonhash: 90% of the class is writing about Virgil so I'm like :awesome: hoping the tutor will like my ~originality.

My friend is a complete Catullus fangirl, that's who (whom?) she chose.

Now onto the distinctly less fabulous Menander vs. Aristophanes essay ... :frown:

"Aristophanes is clearly better. Why? Because Menander's scripts appear to have been chewed by dogs so we only have random bits of them left." :facepalm2:
Post-essay fatigue has hit me.

I can't go on. :frown:
Bedtime soon for me, then maybe I'll have half a chance of getting about 2,500 words done tomorrow. :sigh:
So not got all my work done, read just about all of Catullus' poems today. Very brief skim through 61,64,66,68 and as I didn't see Lesbia mentioned in any way just skipped them as my essay is focusing on her.

Just need to try and do a bit of secondary reading and then finish writing this research proposal.
Also really need to improve my Latin over Christmas, I promised one of my flatmates that I'd write them a love poem in Latin. It might only be a few lines mind.
Also really need to improve my Latin over Christmas, I promised one of my flatmates that I'd write them a love poem in Latin. It might only be a few lines mind.

Awww :biggrin:
5,000 words on Aristophanes to write by 1pm on Monday. Staring at a blank screen.

Somebody ****ing shoot me. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending