The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I hope it's just the trailer that's making the xmas episode seem like the mother of all messy plots with too much going on and far too much of the sentimental *******s about the doctor Moffat likes to pile onto every episode

Spoiler

Look at his smug face in this picture, he knows what he's doing, he's in alliance with the tumblr fangirls and is now simply writing scenes that will make good .gifs (or am I being paranoid?)

I'll reserve judgement until I see the episode.
Anyone else reckon they should bring back using the Doctor's face in the intro theme? :colonhash:
Original post by laprenti
I hope it's just the trailer that's making the xmas episode seem like the mother of all messy plots with too much going on and far too much of the sentimental *******s about the doctor Moffat likes to pile onto every episode

Spoiler

Look at his smug face in this picture, he knows what he's doing, he's in alliance with the tumblr fangirls and is now simply writing scenes that will make good .gifs (or am I being paranoid?)

I'll reserve judgement until I see the episode.

Tbh it's not as if everything you just said doesn't equally apply to RTD.
Original post by paddyman4
Tbh it's not as if everything you just said doesn't equally apply to RTD.

You're right, and I did think of mentioning RTD in my rant about over sentimentality, but it was long-winded as it is. Moffat is much worse than RTD though, much worse.
You're right, and I did think of mentioning RTD in my rant about over sentimentality, but it was long-winded as it is. Moffat is much worse than RTD though, much worse.

I disagree, because most of my favourites are Moffat episodes, but everyone likes different styles.

Thinking about it now though, I think that Moffat episodes in the RTD era tended to be much more memorable than any individual episode in the Moffat era. I think the overall quality is better and more consistent but if I think about what my favourite episodes are I'd still say Human Nature/Family of Blood and Blink.
I disagree, because most of my favourites are Moffat episodes, but everyone likes different styles.

Thinking about it now though, I think that Moffat episodes in the RTD era tended to be much more memorable than any individual episode in the Moffat era. I think the overall quality is better and more consistent but if I think about what my favourite episodes are I'd still say Human Nature/Family of Blood and Blink.

Those three are my favourite too.

I think Moffat writes well for individual episodes but not series. Although apparently he's planning something super special for anniversary so who knows.

Spoiler

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Those three are my favourite too.

I think Moffat writes well for individual episodes but not series. Although apparently he's planning something super special for anniversary so who knows.

Spoiler

It's funny that Martha is widely considered to be the worst companion, but I think her series is the best. It has my favourite 3 episodes and also has the episodes with the Master - personally my favourite of the RTD finales (apart from maybe Rose's last one). It goes to show how the writing is so much more important than the actors.
It's funny that Martha is widely considered to be the worst companion, but I think her series is the best. It has my favourite 3 episodes and also has the episodes with the Master - personally my favourite of the RTD finales (apart from maybe Rose's last one). It goes to show how the writing is so much more important than the actors.

Tbh I don't like Martha as a companion at all...all the lovey dovey "doctor is so amazing but he doesn't know who I am" just pissed me off (I'm a grumpy old woman). Hence I didn't really enjoy that series apart from those 3 episodes.
Reply 9008

Notice how those three episodes you think are great have minimal exposure to Martha :p:
Original post by Mess.
Notice how those three episodes you think are great have minimal exposure to Martha :p:

Well she's in Human nature/Family of Blood a fair bit. But then again she spends most of those episodes attempting to mute her Martha-isms in order to fit into her role!

To be clear, Martha is probably my least favourite companion, she makes me cringe a lot. I just think her series has the best stories and some of the best guest stars (Carey Mulligan, Derek Jacobi, John Simm).

I really liked Moffat's episodes when he wasn't head writer too, I don't think being head writer suits his style/way of thinking at all, and I also suspect he's sold out a bit and is writing to appeal to different kinds of audiences (e.g. American) and not writing for himself, which is when writing is at its best, generally. I'm not enjoying the Moffat era style
I really liked Moffat's episodes when he wasn't head writer too, I don't think being head writer suits his style/way of thinking at all, and I also suspect he's sold out a bit and is writing to appeal to different kinds of audiences (e.g. American) and not writing for himself, which is when writing is at its best, generally. I'm not enjoying the Moffat era style

I agree with this. He was a brilliant writer when writing single episodes (or double-parters, which are still single episodes just split over two episodes), but he doesn't do well as head writer / producer. He does seem to be selling out slightly as well.
Reply 9012
Today is the 49th Anniversary of Doctor who, well theres only 15 mins left of it now
Reply 9013
It's annoying me how The Doctor keeps having to say "It'll be the last day of the planet" or "The biggest challenge The Doctor has ever faced before" - they're basically catchphrases which overhype the plot. Usually, I'm let down majorly.

Seeing as it was said in the trailer for Christmas, I'm going to keep my standards low.
Agree with what people said about Moffat's episodes during the RTD era being much better than those ones he's done since being in control.

RTD did epic much better than Moffat does. The Moff's much better (imo) at interesting relationships and non-straightforward characters, but that doesn't make a series...

Original post by greeneyedgirl

Spoiler

Interesting :beard:

Spoiler

Reply 9015
Doctor Who after DT is trash. Complete cringeworthy crap...

DT was the best with Catherine Tate... Bring them back!
HOWEVER, about the Dr Who Christmas special....I am extremely interested to see a companion who isn't from modern day Britain! :biggrin:
Original post by Feefifofum
Interesting :beard:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by sleekchic
Top posters from the first thread:

Ape Gone Insane 985
LastLordofTime 976
sleekchic 415
DoktaUH 414
Aula 307
Colonel. 293
SirMasterKey 265
wizard710 197
Mess. 186
greeneyedgirl 167
TulipFields 154
Dinendal Leralonde 143
TheCrackInTime 138
kitty_koo 133
secretmessages 126
Miss.Naughty 124
Perfect_Gent 120

Can't believe I posted that many times, I've been so busy I haven't had time to get on here much.
Why did Russell stop writing the episodes?

Latest