The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by philistine
I just finished watching Les Tontons Flingueurs. I swear, Lino Ventura, in several scenes, looks like the doppelgänger of Robert de Niro. The likeness is uncanny. The film itself was good, although I did have a bone to pick with the subtitles. Being a speaker of the language myself, I noticed several inconsistencies- some more grave than others- which I couldn't help but think might have detracted from the overall experience.

7/10

I'm just now discovering the Mesrine duology. Vincent Cassel is one of my favourite actors, so I have good faith in this, despite the lackluster ratings. Will report back.

Are you suggesting Tarantino is the greatest director of all? If so, you clearly have- at the very least- a profound misunderstanding of the man's work, not to mention cult Japanese cinema, post-noir crime/gang cinema, and several other important matters. Tarantino, as I'm sure you don't already know, watched the entire filmography of the legendary Seijun Suzuki, and soon after ripped off all of his hallmarks, motifs, and signature style- completely; the smoking gun to this declaration being 東京流れ者.

Saying that, I'm not anti-Tarantino at all; merely a person who gives praise where it is due, and derision in very much the same way.

Only seen Derailed and Black Swan with him in (so not a lot) and have A Dangerous Method, Eastern Promises and Irreversible happening to be on my 'to source' list. Would be interested in seeing more, his best roles. Any suggestions?

Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Best male acting performance ever was from F. Murray Abraham as Salieiri in Amadeus (1984).

Discuss.

Peter Finch in Network would be mine. F. Murray Abraham's portrayal of Salieri is outstanding though. Amadeus wouldn't have been half as good as it is without a huge performance for that role.
Original post by Mess.
Also, does anybody think that if Ledger hadn't died that the Joker would still have been the main villain in the 3rd film? To me it would have been insane not to use him again but I imagine they would have tried to use both him and another character which would have taken it way too far into the comic book realm.

I would've had him loosely involved in the storyline, but not as a main character. I thought having Bane as a main character was interesting, and like you said, having several antagonists would've seemed too comic booky. :yep:
Are you suggesting Tarantino is the greatest director of all? If so, you clearly have- at the very least- a profound misunderstanding of the man's work, not to mention cult Japanese cinema, post-noir crime/gang cinema, and several other important matters. Tarantino, as I'm sure you don't already know, watched the entire filmography of the legendary Seijun Suzuki, and soon after ripped off all of his hallmarks, motifs, and signature style- completely; the smoking gun to this declaration being 東京流れ者.

Saying that, I'm not anti-Tarantino at all; merely a person who gives praise where it is due, and derision in very much the same way.

Nope, just saying he's got some great films under his belt :tongue:
Original post by Hugo Rune
Only seen Derailed and Black Swan with him in (so not a lot) and have A Dangerous Method, Eastern Promises and Irreversible happening to be on my 'to source' list. Would be interested in seeing more, his best roles. Any suggestions?

Oh man, you just listed three top drawer pictures. I'd also like to add La Haine and the Mesrine duology (watched them both last night- great stuff).

Has anyone seen the new Leos Carax flick, Holy Motors? It was played at the last Cannes festival, though it's only just been lea- err, made available. :wink:

Let's just say that it's... interesting. Disturbing, arbitrary, yet very interesting. Kylie Minogue makes a cameo, too.
Reply 7804
Original post by Colonel.
I hated that film. No idea why. Didn't enjoy it.

It's not a great film, I just found it quite easy to watch and some of the characters were hilarious. It's a lot like American Graffiti which is a much better film in my opinion.

Also watched The Machinest recently, thought that was pretty good.
Original post by philistine
Oh man, you just listed three top drawer pictures. I'd also like to add La Haine and the Mesrine duology (watched them both last night- great stuff).

Cheers. :smile:
Just finished watching Ichikawa's The Burmese Harp. An absolutely breathtaking film, with a stunning score. Criterion really need to get on Ichikawa's case, as I believe this is the only film they've released from him.

9/10
'World's Greatest Dad' is a ****ing weird but brilliant film.

Best I've seen of Robin Williams in a while.
Reply 7808
Anyone know the name of the music from 1:25-1:50ish? I annoyingly can't find it.

[video="youtube;5NYt1qirBWg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NYt1qirBWg[/video]
Original post by Deshi
Anyone know the name of the music from 1:25-1:50ish? I annoyingly can't find it.

[video="youtube;5NYt1qirBWg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NYt1qirBWg[/video]

That's the same track that was in the Hobbit trailer. It's Brand X Music - Dragons Demise. Trailer music, ala Two Steps From Hell and Immediate Music, never really gets credited much.
Reply 7810
Not gonna lie, Pitch Perfect looks like it could be the worst best film ever.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7811
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
That's the same track that was in the Hobbit trailer. It's Brand X Music - Dragons Demise. Trailer music, ala Two Steps From Hell and Immediate Music, never really gets credited much.

Cheers mate :yy:

Epic sounding music.
Reply 7812
What did you guys think of The Master? I saw it today, and thought it was fairly interesting. :smile:
Reply 7813
Me and my housemates are watching a one or two harry Potter films every week starting from this weekend to try and get to the end before we break for Christmas. After watching the first one tonight it dawned on me how much I miss having a Harry Potter film to look forward to, it was the first film I ever watched at the cinema. I wanna go to Hogwarts :cry2:
Original post by Deshi
Me and my housemates are watching a one or two harry Potter films every week starting from this weekend to try and get to the end before we break for Christmas. After watching the first one tonight it dawned on me how much I miss having a Harry Potter film to look forward to, it was the first film I ever watched at the cinema. I wanna go to Hogwarts :cry2:

Whoah, that makes me feel old. My first movie at the cinema was The Little Mermaid...

Original post by cambo211
'World's Greatest Dad' is a ****ing weird but brilliant film.

Best I've seen of Robin Williams in a while.

I enjoyed it, but the ending was a complete cop out. Amazing soundtrack though! I love these songs:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Svenjamin
Whoah, that makes me feel old. My first movie at the cinema was The Little Mermaid...

I enjoyed it, but the ending was a complete cop out. Amazing soundtrack though! I love these songs:

Spoiler

You remember your first cinema film? I have no idea what mine was. I know I saw The World is Not Enough in 1999 when I was 9. I can't remember a film before that though. I remember going to the 3D IMAX as a kid though probably before that.
Original post by danny111
You remember your first cinema film? I have no idea what mine was. I know I saw The World is Not Enough in 1999 when I was 9. I can't remember a film before that though. I remember going to the 3D IMAX as a kid though probably before that.

Little Mermaid was definitely my first cinema memory, I passed it by my mum and she agreed. It came out when I was 2 yrs 3 months old so its about right, although I'm not sure if I saw it when it first came out or at one of those Saturday kids club things or some other rerun, so I may have been nearer 3. I remember being REALLY scared of Ursala, that climax is quite intense for a little kid!

I remember quite a few of my childhood cinema experiences.
Rescuers Down Under at 3
Beauty and the Beast at 4
Aladdin at 5 (the only film that my dad took me to see as a kid).
Jurassic Park at 6 (the theatre was REALLY loud so I got a headache and had to leave in the brachiosaur sneezing scene, then got my parents to take me a second time so I could see the whole thing)
Lion King at 7 (saw it on holiday at Disneyworld Orlando, then saw it again when it came out in the UK :biggrin: )

The early 90s were a great time to be a kid!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Svenjamin
Little Mermaid was definitely my first cinema memory, I passed it by my mum and she agreed. It came out when I was 2 yrs 3 months old so its about right, although I'm not sure if I saw it when it first came out or at one of those Saturday kids club things or some other rerun, so I may have been nearer 3. I remember being REALLY scared of Ursala, that climax is quite intense for a little kid!

I remember quite a few of my childhood cinema experiences.
Rescuers Down Under at 3
Beauty and the Beast at 4
Aladdin at 5 (the only film that my dad took me to see as a kid).
Jurassic Park at 6 (the theatre was REALLY loud so I got a headache and had to leave in the brachiosaur sneezing scene, then got my parents to take me a second time so I could see the whole thing)
Lion King at 7 (saw it on holiday at Disneyworld Orlando, then saw it again when it came out in the UK :biggrin: )

The early 90s were a great time to be a kid!

Haha yea, I asked my dad and he said I definitely went to the cinema and saw some Disney films as a kid, but again can't pin down the exact film.

And you are so right. I remember going to like Ikea or other similar mega stores and my mum leaving me and my brother in the play zone which had a small cinema showing Junglebook, Lion King, etc.
Reply 7818
I'd been taken by my mum to see various cartoons and stuff that I don't remember before this, but I regard Titanic as my first proper cinema experience when I was eight. I remember being really chuffed that I'd gotten into a 12 and then I remember my head being blown off by the epicness of it. The second half of the film on a big screen is crazy.
I don't know if I went before but my earliest memory of going to the cinema was going to see Chicken Run when I was 10. I remember embarrassing my mom by mentioning "man's sperm and woman's eggs" to the bloke at the ticket counter. I can't remember why, I think I'd read just read something about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending