The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7820
The first movie I saw at a cinema was T2 when I was in 3rd grade :colondollar: :lol:
Hey guys, if there was to be a TSR Film of the Year poll, which would hopefully be advertised on the front page to get a wider expanse of the userbase voting, which 16 films would you put into the poll? Polls are limited to 16 options unfortunately.

I've put some of my no-nos in red but that still leaves me with 25~ options. Any thoughts on films to omit/add?

John Carter

21 Jump Street

The Hunger Games

The Raid: Redemption

Wrath of the Titans

The Cabin in the Woods

The Avengers

Dark Shadows

The Dictator

Battleship

Men in Black 3

Moonrise Kingdom

Snow White and the Huntsman

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

Prometheus

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Brave

Ted

The Amazing Spider-Man

Ice Age: Continental Drift

The Dark Knight Rises

Total Recall

The Bourne Legacy

The Expendables 2

Lawless

The Master

Dredd

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Looper

Frankenweenie

Taken 2

Argo

Seven Psychopaths

Skyfall

Lincoln

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2

Life of Pi

Hitchcock

Killing Them Softly

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Jack Reacher

Django Unchained

Les Misérables

Thing is I haven't watched half of them, since I it's too expensive to go cinema in Switzerland so I have to wait for streams. But those that I have seen that I think might be worthy of the list:

Skyfall
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Hunger Games
The Dark Knight Rises
Get the Gringo
Killer Joe
Ted
Chimpanzee
The Avengers
People Like Us
Chronicle
Men in Black 3
The Bourne Legacy
Safe House
Man on a Ledge

Edit: Overlap

The Hunger Games
The Avengers
Men in Black 3
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Dark Knight Rises
The Bourne Legacy
Skyfall

And I would like to add that on my must-see list are both Looper and Premium Rush
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Hey guys, if there was to be a TSR Film of the Year poll, which would hopefully be advertised on the front page to get a wider expanse of the userbase voting, which 16 films would you put into the poll? Polls are limited to 16 options unfortunately.

I've put some of my no-nos in red but that still leaves me with 25~ options. Any thoughts on films to omit/add?

John Carter

21 Jump Street

The Hunger Games

Wrath of the Titans

The Cabin in the Woods

The Avengers

Dark Shadows

The Dictator

Battleship

Men in Black 3

Moonrise Kingdom

Prometheus

Brave

Ted

The Amazing Spider-Man

The Dark Knight Rises

Total Recall

The Bourne Legacy

The Expendables 2

Lawless

The Master

Dredd

Looper

Frankenweenie

Taken 2

Argo

Seven Psychopaths

Skyfall

Lincoln

Life of Pi

Hitchcock

Killing Them Softly

Jack Reacher

Django Unchained

Les Misérables

That reminds me, are we doing Movie Madness anytime soon? :holmes:
Every option that isn't Looper is irrelevant. :wink:
Reply 7825

John Carter

21 Jump Street

The Hunger Games

Wrath of the Titans

The Cabin in the Woods

The Avengers

Dark Shadows

The Dictator

Battleship

Men in Black 3

Moonrise Kingdom

Prometheus

Brave

Ted

The Amazing Spider-Man

The Dark Knight Rises

Total Recall

The Bourne Legacy

The Expendables 2

Lawless

The Master

Dredd

Looper

Frankenweenie

Taken 2

Argo

Seven Psychopaths

Skyfall

Lincoln

Life of Pi

Hitchcock

Killing Them Softly

Jack Reacher

Django Unchained

Les Misérables

I seem to remember when discussing this last year, I suggested Shame and was told that it wouldn't be counted as a 2011 film because of its UK release date; would it be eligible this year? Though I'm not sure it would be allowed on an official TSR poll anyway. :o: What about foreign films? Once Upon a Time in Anatolia was my favourite film that I've seen in the cinema this year. What about documentaries, would they count? :holmes:
Reply 7826
[video="youtube;sfU_sC7m2cA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfU_sC7m2cA[/video]
Original post by danny111
Thing is I haven't watched half of them, since I it's too expensive to go cinema in Switzerland so I have to wait for streams. But those that I have seen that I think might be worthy of the list:

x

Original post by Abiraleft
I seem to remember when discussing this last year, I suggested Shame and was told that it wouldn't be counted as a 2011 film because of its UK release date; would it be eligible this year? Though I'm not sure it would be allowed on an official TSR poll anyway. :o: What about foreign films? Once Upon a Time in Anatolia was my favourite film that I've seen in the cinema this year. What about documentaries, would they count? :holmes:

Ta, I'll take these into account! As much as foreign films and documentaries would be desirable, given this poll is going to end up being a popularity poll, it might be best to go for the mainstream options, or at least the really popular foreign films or documentaries that users will have likely seen and liked (this is why The Raid is giving me a problem in terms of gauging popularity). Otherwise it becomes a poll of our good taste in film at the expense of omitting whatever the general TSR userbase would have wanted.

We're squeezed enough at it is as well. :tongue:

Original post by PoGo HoPz
That reminds me, are we doing Movie Madness anytime soon? :holmes:

That probably depends on how much interest/push there is for it. :beard: Phalanges, who worked tirelessly, on the previous project (organising everything on it) sadly resigned from the mod team, and I don't think he's going to be too active on TSR.
That probably depends on how much interest/push there is for it. :beard: Phalanges, who worked tirelessly, on the previous project (organising everything on it) sadly resigned from the mod team, and I don't think he's going to be too active on TSR.

Would you be up for organising another one? You mod entertainment, don't you? :smile:
Original post by PoGo HoPz
Would you be up for organising another one? You mod entertainment, don't you? :smile:

Yeah probably, but not until the summer, coursework and exams are keeping me extremely busy at the moment. :moon:
Reply 7830
Ta, I'll take these into account! As much as foreign films and documentaries would be desirable, given this poll is going to end up being a popularity poll, it might be best to go for the mainstream options, or at least the really popular foreign films or documentaries that users will have likely seen and liked (this is why The Raid is giving me a problem in terms of gauging popularity). Otherwise it becomes a poll of our good taste in film at the expense of omitting whatever the general TSR userbase would have wanted.

We're squeezed enough at it is as well. :tongue:

:pierre: :lol: Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. Oh well. :smile:

Might be useful to keep an eye on the box office results, then. Though you seem to have pretty much covered the films on the top of that list.

There are a couple of people who have expressed an interest in helping out/running it, just so you know. But it's a pretty massive programme, so I'd agree with you that we should wait for more of a push before we get about it.

In other news, I got gifted The Lord of the Rings (standard versions), War Horse and Johnny English: Reborn yesterday. :biggrin:
Shame should be in there. Fantastic film.
Reply 7832
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/27/joseph-gordon-levitt-to-play-batman-in-justice-league

JGL really shouldn't be playing Batman. His character has almost zero training in hand to hand combat and was taken down by a Gordon who was pretty ****ed up.

JGL does not have the financial backing that Bruce had either, which is one of the major reasons why Batman could exist.

It will be even worse if they reboot JGL as Bruce :lolwut:
Reply 7833
Original post by Mess.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/27/joseph-gordon-levitt-to-play-batman-in-justice-league

JGL really shouldn't be playing Batman. His character has almost zero training in hand to hand combat and was taken down by a Gordon who was pretty ****ed up.

JGL does not have the financial backing that Bruce had either, which is one of the major reasons why Batman could exist.

It will be even worse if they reboot JGL as Bruce :lolwut:

Not particularly surprised. A franchise is a franchise is a franchise - we should have seen it coming after the scene towards then end in The Dark Knight Rises. :colonhash:

Regarding training, I suppose the Justice League movie could be several years after TDKR, and - whatsisname... Blake? - could have been training intensively in that period. But it would still be a very odd Batman, given that all the dynamics have been changed by the conclusion (no Alfred, a Gordon who is probably in the know - or incredibly stupid if he isn't - and so on).
Reply 7834
Original post by Abiraleft
Not particularly surprised. A franchise is a franchise is a franchise - we should have seen it coming after the scene towards then end in The Dark Knight Rises. :colonhash:

Regarding training, I suppose the Justice League movie could be several years after TDKR, and - whatsisname... Blake? - could have been training intensively in that period. But it would still be a very odd Batman, given that all the dynamics have been changed by the conclusion (no Alfred, a Gordon who is probably in the know - or incredibly stupid if he isn't - and so on).

I'm surprised for a few reasons really. I thought that DC would have noticed that the exaggerated reality of Nolan/JGL's universe cannot have a Superman or any of the other more... exotic... characters of the Justice League.
Using JGL means that the film will be compared to Nolans Batman even more than it was going to be. It should have strived for its own identity and a complete reboot.

Also, can anyone imagine JGL standing next to the guy who plays Superman and looking at all like a physically imposing man? JGL is a very enjoyable actor but a huge, violent man is something he couldn't really pull off. He just doesn't look dangerous enough to fit into a 'super' world.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
The Master is an amazing movie. Certainly one of the best this year along with Skyfall and TDKR

It also has one of best performances i have ever seen in a movie in very long time by Joaquin Phoenix.

So Seven Psychopaths turned out to be really very good. Martin McDonagh might actually be as great at films as he is at plays.

Also Tom Waits steals the whole movie, as he does in every movie he appears in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7838
I found Seven Psychopaths to kinda suck. Maybe I didn't fully get it or something but I ended up lying down on the cinema seats :mmm:
Original post by Mess.
I'm surprised for a few reasons really. I thought that DC would have noticed that the exaggerated reality of Nolan/JGL's universe cannot have a Superman or any of the other more... exotic... characters of the Justice League.
Using JGL means that the film will be compared to Nolans Batman even more than it was going to be. It should have strived for its own identity and a complete reboot.

Also, can anyone imagine JGL standing next to the guy who plays Superman and looking at all like a physically imposing man? JGL is a very enjoyable actor but a huge, violent man is something he couldn't really pull off. He just doesn't look dangerous enough to fit into a 'super' world.

I agree for the most part, except for the JGL bit. He already put away his pretty hipster guy image for the dark knight rises, and given a main role in a justice league film he could easily buff up a bit to be a much more imposing character. After all, Bale and Hardy both put on loads for their roles.

Justice League is a bit silly. Each of the heroes are vastly different in their powers - why would Superman need a team anyway? He can fly and move faster than the speed of sound! They're going to need some extremely contrived use of kryptonite to explain why Superman can't do it on his own.

Where Justice League could win is in variety. In The Avengers, Iron Man is the only one who doesn't have superpowers that amount to "can hit things really hard" (excusing those 2 non-characters who didn't really do anything anyway). At least Batman, Superman and Green Lantern will each be completely different.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending