The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4600
Original post by Steve Stifler
Yep count me in. Altar boy, RC primary school, Irishness, do I qualify?

ever considered joining the knights of saint columba
Reply 4601
Original post by Albert12
Hi all,
Im considering joining the Knights of Saint Columba, i feel the membership is older generation and needs new blood, anyone interested.

I can't :no:

What interests you about it?
Reply 4602
Original post by Aula
I can't :no:

What interests you about it?

Why cant you join, if its because you are a female i think you may be able too.
I'm interested in the benefits of fraternities i did look at the masons until i looked into Catholics and Masons , for some strange reason i didn't want to or see why i had to look at my own beliefs to fit into the Masons.
I also see the Knights as a group for good but very much need younger members in order to change their mindset such as not allowing females, or their attitudes to gays and abortion and euthanasia , i feel they need shaking up to benefit the Church.
I'm interested in the benefits of fraternities i did look at the masons until i looked into Catholics and Masons , for some strange reason i didn't want to or see why i had to look at my own beliefs to fit into the Masons.
I also see the Knights as a group for good but very much need younger members in order to change their mindset such as not allowing females, or their attitudes to gays and abortion and euthanasia , i feel they need shaking up to benefit the Church.

thats not a Knights of St Columba thing, that's a catholic thing :redface: if you wanted to change that, you'd have to reach a high up position in the vocation (archbishop/cardinal/pope) - and even then it'd be nigh on impossible
Reply 4604

No, it's like the catenians. Men only. I'm not too bothered though.
Umm... Their attitude to gays and abortion and euthanasia? What is your issue with those? I presume they match up with the teachings of the church?
Reply 4605
Original post by laurie:)
thats not a Knights of St Columba thing, that's a catholic thing :redface: if you wanted to change that, you'd have to reach a high up position in the vocation (archbishop/cardinal/pope) - and even then it'd be nigh on impossible

I agree impossible to change these things as they are at the centre of catholicism, but the church needs the younger generation to go forward maybe more liberalism required.
i think the knights do great work but the membership has fallen drastically they need to embrace the youth , easier said than done, again liberalise a case of change or die.
Reply 4606
Original post by Aula
No, it's like the catenians. Men only. I'm not too bothered though.
Umm... Their attitude to gays and abortion and euthanasia? What is your issue with those? I presume they match up with the teachings of the church?

i feel now the church needs to liberalise as the younger generations just don't buy it, we are a very informed people now and question more, you can see the changes already as the Church has become very ecumenical.
I think the hardest question out of the three issues is euthanasia.
the church and the knights mirror each other in membership and views, liberalism and the youth are key, the youngest knight in my local Provence is about 60.
Reply 4607
i feel now the church needs to liberalise as the younger generations just don't buy it, we are a very informed people now and question more, you can see the changes already as the Church has become very ecumenical.
I think the hardest question out of the three issues is euthanasia.
the church and the knights mirror each other in membership and views, liberalism and the youth are key, the youngest knight in my local Provence is about 60.

I think you need to think seriously about these issues and whether you really still want to be Catholic.
Assuming you're not just trolling that is/
Reply 4608
Original post by Aula
I think you need to think seriously about these issues and whether you really still want to be Catholic.
Assuming you're not just trolling that is/

I don't follow your reasoning why i should rethink being a catholic, depending on where you are in the World i guess could be a reason why id class you as a conservative Catholic, many i know are very liberal and even the Priests i know encourage debate, to never question is wrong even the Pope encourages debate.
i was quite hurt and offended that you think i should question my religion, i believe the Catholic Church is stronger with people like me questioning and wanting it to encourage more to join, as for Trolling show our conversation to a learned Priest you may be surprised, i cant agree with your comments but i respect your views .
ZOMG, actually managed to have spiritual direction today! My SD is amazing and lovely but so busy (having foster children, a big parish and a family etc - he came via the Ordinariate) and of course being a priest, things come up at the last minute. So the last three times we've tried to meet, it hasn't happened. That's on top of him not answering all his texts, etc...

Anyway, the point is, WE MET this morning! He was so kind and insightful. Made me feel much better about myself. Having so many doubts about my faith and Catholicism atm, so have really been struggling :sad: He said most of that is part of the illness and not to let it affect me too much. AND he bought me gifts from Israel (where he was recently on pilgrimage), which he had blessed and taken around with him to various places relating to Jesus' life and ministry. Feel so blessed at rejuvenised atm :o: Praise the Lord! :jebus: :awesome: :woo:
Reply 4610
RE: Prayers to end disease and poverty

Disease

O BLESSED SAN ROQUE,
Patron of the sick,
Have pity on those
Who lie upon a bed of suffering.

Your power was so great
When you were in this world,
That by the sign of the Cross,
Many were healed of their diseases.
Now that you are in heaven,
Your power is not less.
Offer, then, to God our sighs and tears
And obtain for us that health we seek
Through Christ our Lord.
Amen.

San Roque, pray for us,
That we may be preserved
From all diseases
Of body and soul. (Three times.)

(anyone else think St. Roque a.k.a Roch, Rocco or Rock should be the patron saint of rock music?:smile:)

Lord of Life,
Open our eyes to make us:
Aware of the poverty suffered by others;
Aware of the immorality of allowing that suffering to take place;
Aware of our rights as citizens to be heard;
Aware of the men, women and children dying as we speak;
Aware that our solidarity gives us strength;
Aware that our leaders may turn a deaf ear but Almighty God hears our cry;
And aware that only together can we: Make Poverty History.

Give us the strength and determination to work towards solutions
and policy changes that can free our sisters and brothers
around the world from the chains of poverty.
Inspire us to challenge our leaders to make debt relief
and fighting poverty a priority,
and make our voices loud and clear.

Amen.
(not sure I like this one much its from here
(edited 11 years ago)
You know, I've never heard of Saint Roque :colondollar: My bad. Need to brush up on my saints! :yes:
Could I ask for some prayers on Friday please? I've got a job interview :smile:
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Could I ask for some prayers on Friday please? I've got a job interview :smile:

Of course hun! Prayer going up right now for you :smile:
A few years ago I was a very passionate Christian, but as can happen I guess with a lot of people I hit a crisis point in my faith, I met with a priest inquiring about Catholicism and after that meeting I was told he would get back in touch with me and introduce me to a few groups and courses, but for whatever reason that never happened and I never felt a strong urge to follow up on it, I kind of took it as a sign at the time and didn't pursue it any further.
Since then ive had a real roller-coaster of a spiritual journey, converting to or trying out a number of faiths, and finding elements of peace, love and God in many of them but nothing that quite..filled me, only satiating my hunger for a small time.

However a few months ago I felt a really overwhelming call back to Christ, and accepted him back into my life with a passion I never had those few years ago, it really is something I can barely describe.
Alongside this re-newing of my faith ive had a really strong call to the Catholic Church, at first I did my normal thing and re-opened all my books , re-familieraised myself with parts of the faith I had forgotten, re-read the catechism's and really prayed for guidance, I tried to discern if it was me looking for "Somewhere to belong" a re-surgance of that earlier interest or a genuine calling from God.

The more I read, and the more I talked with God the more I became so sure that it was calling home.
Co cut a story short, Ive just had a meeting confirmed with a local Priest for a talk and to help me get started on the RCIA programme.

Sorry for the little ramble, im just feeling very , well I suppose HAPPY about this and thought I had to share it with some people who might perhaps know what im going through.
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
A few years ago I was a very passionate Christian, but as can happen I guess with a lot of people I hit a crisis point in my faith, I met with a priest inquiring about Catholicism and after that meeting I was told he would get back in touch with me and introduce me to a few groups and courses, but for whatever reason that never happened and I never felt a strong urge to follow up on it, I kind of took it as a sign at the time and didn't pursue it any further.
Since then ive had a real roller-coaster of a spiritual journey, converting to or trying out a number of faiths, and finding elements of peace, love and God in many of them but nothing that quite..filled me, only satiating my hunger for a small time.

However a few months ago I felt a really overwhelming call back to Christ, and accepted him back into my life with a passion I never had those few years ago, it really is something I can barely describe.
Alongside this re-newing of my faith ive had a really strong call to the Catholic Church, at first I did my normal thing and re-opened all my books , re-familieraised myself with parts of the faith I had forgotten, re-read the catechism's and really prayed for guidance, I tried to discern if it was me looking for "Somewhere to belong" a re-surgance of that earlier interest or a genuine calling from God.

The more I read, and the more I talked with God the more I became so sure that it was calling home.
Co cut a story short, Ive just had a meeting confirmed with a local Priest for a talk and to help me get started on the RCIA programme.

Sorry for the little ramble, im just feeling very , well I suppose HAPPY about this and thought I had to share it with some people who might perhaps know what im going through.

Oooh, this comes as a surprise to me! I somehow had you down as a Buddhist or a Hindu or somewhere in between :facepalm:

I guess what I should say is, welcome back to the fold! :awesome: I'm glad you decided to share this with us :yes:

Is there anything we can do to help you on your faith journey? Would you like us to pray for you? :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Of course hun! Prayer going up right now for you :smile:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oooh, this comes as a surprise to me! I somehow had you down as a Buddhist or a Hindu or somewhere in between :facepalm:

I know a lot about both faiths, and admire certain aspects but nooo.

I guess what I should say is, welcome back to the fold! :awesome: I'm glad you decided to share this with us :yes:

Is there anything we can do to help you on your faith journey? Would you like us to pray for you? :smile:

Prayer is never a bad thing, I think I was just after a community and a listening ear more than anything else heh.
Original post by Matthew_Lowson

Indeed :awesome:

Original post by Three Mile Sprint
I know a lot about both faiths, and admire certain aspects but nooo.

My bad :getmecoat:

Prayer is never a bad thing, I think I was just after a community and a listening ear more than anything else heh.

That's fine, we can definitely be that for you! :h:
The Pope is going to be on Twitter and send his first message next week on the 12th.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending