The Student Room Group

How to tame an alpha male?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
"Alpha" is just about social dominance/extroversion, not about whether he is a player or not.

Newsflash: There is no 'taming' of men. Some men aren't looking for commitment. Some men aren't looking for commitment with YOU. If you feel like you need to "tame" him, he's not interested enough.
Reply 81
Original post by Care-Free
i think i love you...

:smile: Hopefully you find someone like that some day. The same goes for everyone I guess, myself included.
Original post by Dan1607
:smile: Hopefully you find someone like that some day. The same goes for everyone I guess, myself included.

I already have someone like that :smile: drove 4 hours to see me for my birthday, turned up with roses, chocolates and fluffy Pj's :smile: epitome of Alpha male right there :biggrin:
Hope you find your loving doting person soon :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by Care-Free
I already have someone like that :smile: drove 4 hours to see me for my birthday, turned up with roses, chocolates and fluffy Pj's :smile: epitome of Alpha male right there :biggrin:
Hope you find your loving doting person soon :smile:

It's good to show affection but sometimes it is only one sided (I guess this is what some might call the beta males or whatever they call them). The strongest relationships are ones where both share that affection. A real man will know when someone is deserving of their affection. Love begets love and if the other does not show this then he can no longer love that person.
Original post by Dan1607
It's good to show affection but sometimes it is only one sided (I guess this is what some might call the beta males or whatever they call them). The strongest relationships are ones where both share that affection. A real man will know when someone is deserving of their affection. Love begets love and if the other does not show this then he can no longer love that person.

You should be a writer :tongue:
Reply 85
Original post by Lucia.
I always go for alpha males. And alpha males aren't players. Alpha males are take charge guys who are leaders of the pack - other guys tend to look up to them. Alpha males don't suck up to anyone. They are also likely to be charismatic and well-liked. And if they get lots of action, they don't need to brag about it because they already know that they hold all the power. That's why they're not necessarily players - some players do it to prove their worth to other men. Alpha guys don't.

No offence Lucia, but this tends to not often be the case. I know a guy, captain of a rugby team, 6'3", well-built bloke....what you would describe as an 'alpha' male; guess what? He likes his girlfriend to tie him up in bed and abuse him. How did I find out about this? He told us during a rugby social. Of course, he's mocked mercilessly for it now but things aren't always so black or white or verbatim from a cod-psychological cosmopolitan article on men.

Honestly, who cares if you're omega, delta or gamma? The less time spent pigeon-holing people into boxes and the more time spent figuring out the type of person in all their different facets, the better. And the world would be a better place for it.
Reply 86
Original post by QwentyJ
No offence Lucia, but this tends to not often be the case. I know a guy, captain of a rugby team, 6'3", well-built bloke....what you would describe as an 'alpha' male; guess what? He likes his girlfriend to tie him up in bed and abuse him. How did I find out about this? He told us during a rugby social. Of course, he's mocked mercilessly for it now but things aren't always so black or white or verbatim from a cod-psychological cosmopolitan article on men.

Honestly, who cares if you're omega, delta or gamma? The less time spent pigeon-holing people into boxes and the more time spent figuring out the type of person in all their different facets, the better. And the world would be a better place for it.

I confused how someone's unusual sexual proclivities prevents them from being an "alpha male"?
Original post by 2ndClass
Lol

Because you can't offer an explanation to this besides your own life experience. It's quite bizarre that I'd spend my life doting on how perfect some other man is. That's incredibly pathetic to be honest. I can certainly appreciate good traits about another man in my social circle but admire him?

Are you trolling?

A beta guy can be confident.......and it does take a tinge of arrogance to presume you can "lead" another group of men. To be honest reading your reply gave me an insight on who would typically suck up to other men.....just sayin'

You do realise that admiration for another man, is not a bad thing right?
Reply 88
Original post by Spontogical
You do realise that admiration for another man, is not a bad thing right?

Extreme betas are so obsessed with attempting to cover up their own huge personality deficiencies that to admit "admiration" for anyone else is simply impossible.

Its like a bad loser getting completely outplayed and then refusing to shake the victor's hand out of childish petulance.
Ok... everyone has different definitions of what an 'alpha-male' is.. most people seem to think that an alpha male who is a natural badass, leader of the crew, naval commander, treats others like ****, and holds the fort of authority and has constant sex on tap - what have you.

Depends on the individual I guess.. :dontknow: - I've always thought an alpha male was the individual who puts his comrades before himself, treats everyone with respect - but also has the knack of being able to stick up for himself, and be assertive when necessary. In other words a decent human being.
Original post by py0alb
Extreme betas are so obsessed with attempting to cover up their own huge personality deficiencies that to admit "admiration" for anyone else is simply impossible.

Its like a bad loser getting completely outplayed and then refusing to shake the victor's hand out of childish petulance.

:five:

I'd personally struggle a lot if there was no one I had admiration for..as that includes role models too etc.

:rofl2: all part of the growing up process aye. :ahee: - I'm happy I managed to learn the true benefits of these skills when I were young. :tongue:
Original post by Snagprophet
I wish I could change but I can't.

There's the problem; defeated before you've even got your foot out the door.
Reply 92
Original post by py0alb
I confused how someone's unusual sexual proclivities prevents them from being an "alpha male"?

Are you her boyfriend or something? :wink:

I was addressing her points of alpha men 'taking charge' and that they don't brag about sex lives. The latter point being quite untrue, if my experiences are anything to go by. The point I was making is that it's isn't as clear-cut as she was making.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by QwentyJ
Are you her boyfriend or something? :wink:

I was addressing her points of alpha men 'taking charge' and that they don't brag about sex lives. The latter point being quite untrue, if my experiences are anything to go by. The point I was making is that it's isn't as clear-cut as she was making.

If he doesn't fit the qualities of an alpha male, rather than assuming that alpha males don't exist, perhaps he just isn't a good example?

This cat barks and wags its tail. All cats are secretly dogs!
Reply 94
Original post by py0alb
If he doesn't fit the qualities of an alpha male, rather than assuming that alpha males don't exist, perhaps he just isn't a good example?

This cat barks and wags its tail. All cats are secretly dogs!

I wasn't saying they don't exist. I was using the guy I know to make a humourous point alongside my other point....obviously the humour has been well and truly lost in translation. :erm:
alpha male? :unsure: WTFs an alpha male?
Reply 96
alpha is the first letter of the greek letter, so we can have alpha male = a male. its just antoher guy guys
Reply 97
Original post by QwentyJ

Hi Qwenty,

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I don't think someone's sexual predilections necessarily have anything to with whether they are alpha or not. For example you get plenty of alpha women who like to be dominated in the bedroom.

But I definitely agree with what you said about Cosmopolitan. I've tried reading askmen.com. Is that any more accurate ,do you think?

And I just want to say that fantasies don't always reflect reality. All I know is that when I like someone, I know it. I don't give much thought to how I interact with men and what particular men I find sexually appealing. So I think we should cut each other some slack because we can't help who we find attractive. Like I have this obsession with rugby players at the moment? Hey maybe it'll die down. I don't know. Oh I'm embarrassed now because I'm drunk, probably using poor grammar and revealing truths I don't want to reveal (as per usual). :s-smilie:

I'm in a confused state of mind. I think this is usual for people in their twenties. None of us really know who we are or what we want really. Do we?
pokeball?
Reply 99
No, No and NO lucia. You really don't understand guys.

I should note that I never try to fully explain men on here or speak on their behalf. I'm merely explicating that people get the term 'alpha male' confused. They think that arrogant douchebags who are obsessed with the gym and talk endlessly about scoring with women are alpha males, but they aren't. True alpha males aren't like that. They don't need to big themselves up because they are already popular and charismatic and well-liked. They don't need to brag to assert their status. And they don't brag about sleeping with lots of women because their prowess is already evident to everyone around them. When I observe groups of men interacting, it's quite easy for me to figure out who's alpha and who isn't. But I wouldn't say there's a heavy dichotomy between alpha and beta. I'd say that most men are in-between.

I have a friend who's an alpha male. He is married. He is too classy a guy to ever have gone around bedding lots of women but he's always won respect from people easily because he is quite charismatic. Lots of women find him very charming and he'd probably have a lot of choice if he was available to them. He knows what he wants out of life and he goes for it and has the confidence behind it to make what he does achievable. I learnt a lot from him, which I'm quite thankful for. You don't get a lot of people who see what they want out of life of life and really go for it whilst managing to win the respect of everyone around them. I keep faltering but I try to follow his mindset because I can see how it brings him success. But just being alpha does not make a guy irresistible to all woman. Alphas get rejected, but they shrug it off and don't let it affect them at all. They don't go around telling people about it either. Solution: Do what you do but never reveal to people how you do it. People will admire you because there's more mystery to you. Alphas (male and female) are skilled at communicating with others. They are very successful but they are also good at selling themselves. They know when not to speak and they know how to build themselves up in the best possible way.

For one, guys don't look up to other guys. That's incredibly emasculating and quite frankly nonsensical. Second, "Alpha" guys who "lead" a social circle aren't particularly liked. I don't understand where this notion comes from to be honest. Men generally don't like to be dominated by other men

I'd say men do look up to other men but this is largely subconscious. It is difficult for me to pinpoint but it definitely happens.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending