The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Any support groups going on?
urgh. feeling horribly poorly sick. Don't know why i didnt ask to go home this morning, rather than putting myself through a full day in labs. Making it v. difficult to eat atm :/.
Original post by jazzykinks
Hey...you're not at Exeter are you? I only ask because this uni seems to have a lot of ED issues which just don't get addressed (I'm trying to change this).

Always here if you need to PM for support. x

Hey Jazzykinks, I'm not sure if you were replying to me (long rambly post in spolier tags) or somebody else as unsurprisingly there's a lot of anons on this thread! But, thanks for your support anyway :smile: I guess I just needed to vent anyway, unless you have somebody going through the same thing it is very hard to talk about it and not keep it bottled up. Not that it would change things really.

No I'm not at Exeter, at Durham, but I suppose the atmosphere as a university is not too different. High achieving and a bit rah, a fair few people who clearly have problems but its never mentioned. The other day in fact I was at this dance/conditioning class, and there was a girl next to me, who I was paired with for one of the activities, who was quite obviously anorexic and although this sounds hypocritical I had to stop myself from saying something to her afterwards even though I wanted to so much. Like 'look after yourself' or something along those lines...although it does sound a bit hypocritical, despite my problems I'm not at a low weight anymore (and not justr saying that!) so seeing someone in the situation I was 3years or so ago was pretty painful. Like you just know - doing about 10 extra reps after every exercise, looking about 12 when they are at least 18...its sad and it does goe ignored a lot Jazzy. How bad is it at Exeter?
Original post by Anonymous
Is anyone on medication?

Seeing my gp on monday and going to beg him to put me on something. Really worried about ssri's and their potential adverse effects though :frown:.

What adverse effects? I have been on them and they don't make you gain weight, if that's it - in my opinion they helped more than not, although it could have been something of a placebo effect rather than the medication itself. What were you concerned about?
Either way they will most likely start you on a pretty low dose, maybe even 1/4 of the maximum that is possible.
Reply 4904
Well I told this friend about things and it turns out she's had an ED too. Small world.
Original post by Riku
Well I told this friend about things and it turns out she's had an ED too. Small world.

-cuddles- to both of you.
Reply 4906
Original post by .snowflake.
-cuddles- to both of you.

Thanks Snow :smile: how are you tonight? x
Original post by Riku
Thanks Snow :smile: how are you tonight? x

not feeling horribly sick, dizzy, lightheaded and with the most awful stomach ache you can imagine, which is a plus compared to last night. Unfortunately now like a bottomless pit, which is making me feel really greedy. my entire tutor group now knows i like one of the boys in my tutor group. He didnt protest to the idea of 'you two should get together, you'd make a cute couple', which was nice, but despite what everyone else says DOESNT mean he likes me.
Hey Jazzykinks, I'm not sure if you were replying to me (long rambly post in spolier tags) or somebody else as unsurprisingly there's a lot of anons on this thread! But, thanks for your support anyway :smile: I guess I just needed to vent anyway, unless you have somebody going through the same thing it is very hard to talk about it and not keep it bottled up. Not that it would change things really.

No I'm not at Exeter, at Durham, but I suppose the atmosphere as a university is not too different. High achieving and a bit rah, a fair few people who clearly have problems but its never mentioned. The other day in fact I was at this dance/conditioning class, and there was a girl next to me, who I was paired with for one of the activities, who was quite obviously anorexic and although this sounds hypocritical I had to stop myself from saying something to her afterwards even though I wanted to so much. Like 'look after yourself' or something along those lines...although it does sound a bit hypocritical, despite my problems I'm not at a low weight anymore (and not justr saying that!) so seeing someone in the situation I was 3years or so ago was pretty painful. Like you just know - doing about 10 extra reps after every exercise, looking about 12 when they are at least 18...its sad and it does goe ignored a lot Jazzy. How bad is it at Exeter?

Yeah you! :P I don't have an ED now but I did a couple of years back. I always have the urge to say something when I see girls at Exeter, just like 'hey, is everything okay?' just so they know that they can talk to someone...then I remember how cold and offended I got when someone said something to me when I had an ED and think it's better not to say anything. It's really bad in Exeter. Some of the girls are painful to look at. I spoke out about it and got a lot of hate mail for it. So worth it though -- at least people know it's an issue, whether they want to ignore it or not, I won't! x
I went to Exeter....it's weird so many of us went there!
Yeah you! :P I don't have an ED now but I did a couple of years back. I always have the urge to say something when I see girls at Exeter, just like 'hey, is everything okay?' just so they know that they can talk to someone...then I remember how cold and offended I got when someone said something to me when I had an ED and think it's better not to say anything. It's really bad in Exeter. Some of the girls are painful to look at. I spoke out about it and got a lot of hate mail for it. So worth it though -- at least people know it's an issue, whether they want to ignore it or not, I won't! x

how in the name of merlins baggy Y-fronts did you get hate mail for trying to HELP people?
Reply 4911
not feeling horribly sick, dizzy, lightheaded and with the most awful stomach ache you can imagine, which is a plus compared to last night. Unfortunately now like a bottomless pit, which is making me feel really greedy. my entire tutor group now knows i like one of the boys in my tutor group. He didnt protest to the idea of 'you two should get together, you'd make a cute couple', which was nice, but despite what everyone else says DOESNT mean he likes me.

Ugh, stomach cramps and sickness is awful, felt the same way myself the last few days so it's good they've eased off :hugs:
As for this guy, well, you never know unless you ask :P
Original post by Riku
Ugh, stomach cramps and sickness is awful, felt the same way myself the last few days so it's good they've eased off :hugs:
As for this guy, well, you never know unless you ask :P

i know, but thats the scary bit, and the answer is probably no anyway
how in the name of merlins baggy Y-fronts did you get hate mail for trying to HELP people?

I wrote about how the uni gym was careless in letting people have memberships when they were clearly severely underweight and clearly had eating disorders (once you've had one, you can kind of spot it...being a size 6 and running on the treadmill for over 2 hours is quite a giveaway too!). Then the backlash commenced. I guess people got angry because I spoke out about something 'controversial'. x
I wrote about how the uni gym was careless in letting people have memberships when they were clearly severely underweight and clearly had eating disorders (once you've had one, you can kind of spot it...being a size 6 and running on the treadmill for over 2 hours is quite a giveaway too!). Then the backlash commenced. I guess people got angry because I spoke out about something 'controversial'. x

Atleast you had the balls to speak out though.
Reply 4915
Bear in mind that EDs are sometimes"hidden illnesses". What some perceive as maintained emaciation some might see as "skinny guy wants to get buff".

I know we all want to offset and place blame elsewhere, but I am guilty, and you are also the guilty. Gym teachers are oblivious, but we anorexics, devious. Xx
I can't stop binge eating :cry: I think I'm using it as a form of self harm now. :erm:

Sorry for any spelling or grammar issues, I'm posting from my phone.
Original post by Aemiliana
I can't stop binge eating :cry: I think I'm using it as a form of self harm now. :erm:

-huggggging-
Reply 4918
Original post by Aemiliana

Sending mountains of hugs :hugs: xx
-huggggging-

Original post by Cinnie
Sending mountains of hugs :hugs: xx

Thanks guys. I'm too scared to eat a proper meal now. I just...

How are you? :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest