The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

When do you plan to start giving out offers? Or have you done so already?

Many Thanks
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 661
Original post by Fas
would just like to know - how does the new Government rules about unlimited students being able to enter with atleast ABB at A-level - how does this affect the University of Warwick ? i was under the impression that this rule was for Clearing only but some say thats not the case.

The new ruling will not affect the admissions process for the economics department at Warwick. The current offer is A*AAa/A*AAB and therefore no individuals achieving ABB would be considered.
Reply 662
Original post by johnnycoolhair
As quoted from Warwicks admissions statement:

'Contextual data will be used in selection decisions during the main admissions cycle for only a small number of pilot courses in the 2013 admissions cycle, and these pilots will contribute towards research into possible further use of contextual data.'

Is Economics(L100) one of these pilot courses? and if so what is taken to be contextual data?

I completely accept the fact that there is no minimum level of GCSEs required to gain an offer and that GCSEs are not the only factor in the decision process. But as with any university course there must be an average number of A*s at GCSE for successful applicants. My question then is what is the average number of A*s for successful applicants for the last admissions cycle for Economics(L100)? and what approximate % of the offers last year were made to applicants with less than 7A*?

I am also aware that not all applicants especially those from overseas will have taken GCSEs and that this maybe reflected in the statistics.

L100 will not be included in the pilot scheme. For further information on the type of contextual data that may be considered see http://www.ucas.ac.uk/documents/changes2012.pdf. For specific statistics you should get in touch with the undergraduate office.
Reply 663
Original post by tinytadpoletim
Hi,

When do you plan to start giving out offers? Or have you done so already?

Many Thanks

Offers will typically be staggered, however, none will be sent for a while. The majority of offers will be sent to UCAS before the end of March for dissemination.
Original post by University of Warwick
Offers will typically be staggered, however, none will be sent for a while. The majority of offers will be sent to UCAS before the end of March for dissemination.

is there a limit on how many offers you can give out ? I know there's a certain number of places on the course but for example LSE give out 2.5 offers per place , is there this sort of number for Warwick ?
Reply 665
why is it that maths offers have been given out so much earlier relative to undergrad econ courses?
Reply 666
Original post by Fas
is there a limit on how many offers you can give out ? I know there's a certain number of places on the course but for example LSE give out 2.5 offers per place , is there this sort of number for Warwick ?

There is an implicit limit in the sense that if we over offer the course will be oversubscribed, but there is no explicit offers per place.
Reply 667
Original post by TPJY
why is it that maths offers have been given out so much earlier relative to undergrad econ courses?

I cannot answer for the mathematics department. The economics department follows a time structure which allows us to view all applicants on a case-by-case basis and give each its full attention.
Is there a scheduled date after which offers for L100 will be given?

If not could you give an indication as to the general time period when this will be.

Thank you.
Reply 669
Original post by Incorrect.
Is there a scheduled date after which offers for L100 will be given?

If not could you give an indication as to the general time period when this will be.

Thank you.

I cannot give an exact date since we send the finalised offers to UCAS, who then send them on to the applicants. However, offers are typically staggered with the majority being sent to UCAS before the end of March for dissemination.
I cannot give an exact date since we send the finalised offers to UCAS, who then send them on to the applicants. However, offers are typically staggered with the majority being sent to UCAS before the end of March for dissemination.

Thank you. When is the earliest an (hypothetically) outstanding candidate could expect to hear a response?
Reply 671
Original post by Incorrect.
Thank you. When is the earliest an (hypothetically) outstanding candidate could expect to hear a response?

Even hypothetically, there are no time preferences dependent on a candidate's potential. Each application is considered on a case by case basis, by hand, as they come.
Hello. My situation is really untypical and I need your advice. I applied through ucas to medicine and used 4 places of 5 choices. Currently, I am an economics student, studying in the university. I understood that my desire for economics is stronger than for medicine, although I sat all required exam for medicine. I have only one choice to fill in. The problem is that my personal statement and recommendations are absolutely related to medicine not to economics. I know that it is not possible to send you an extra personal statement and so on. So my question would be, if it is realistic to get an offer if my grades are really good, but my PS and refrences are not related to economics? If I should try or not. I am an international student. I hold Lithuanian Brandos atestatas gained in July, 2012 with really excellent grades that I include below. Would you consider my appplication is such a case? It is really important because I can only make a final choice. Lithuania - Brandos Atestatas
Lithuania-Brandos Atestatas
10 overall
Moral Education (Religion)
07/2012
credit
Lithuanian language (native) (A level)
07/2012
Lithuanian language (native, credit)
07/2012
Foreign language (English) (A level)
07/2012
Foreign language (English, credit)
07/2012
Foreign language (German) (A level)
07/2012
History (A level)
07/2012
Mathematics (A level)
07/2012
Biology (A level)
07/2012
Chemistry (A level)
07/2012
Dance (B level)
07/2012
General Physical training (B level)
07/2012
Lithuanian language (native) State examination
07/2012
Foreign language (English) State examination
07/2012
Mathematics State examination
07/2012
Biology State examination
07/2012
Chemistry State examination
07/2012

Many thanks for letting me know.
Reply 673
As you are aware the application is based on four main components, the personal statement, academic reference, past academic records and current/predicted grades. Given the high quality pool of prospective students each component needs to be strong. That is to say, for example, your personal statement needs to be focused towards the subject of economics. Given this will not be your focus it will place at a large disadvantage which good grades alone cannot account for.
As you are aware the application is based on four main components, the personal statement, academic reference, past academic records and current/predicted grades. Given the high quality pool of prospective students each component needs to be strong. That is to say, for example, your personal statement needs to be focused towards the subject of economics. Given this will not be your focus it will place at a large disadvantage which good grades alone cannot account for.

Student achieves 2A* 7A at GCSE
achieves AAAA at AS level with 90% and up UMS average
predicted at A*A*A*A*
stellar personal statement and reference

^^ would the GCSE results disadvantage the student greatly ?
Reply 675
Original post by Fas
Student achieves 2A* 7A at GCSE
achieves AAAA at AS level with 90% and up UMS average
predicted at A*A*A*A*
stellar personal statement and reference

^^ would the GCSE results disadvantage the student greatly ?

No.
Reply 676
Would the certificate in financial studies be counted as an AS, because I achieved an E Accounting in AS, but I know I can get an A in financial studies

Do you suggest me applying?
I have extenuating circumstances which I know my referee has mentioned but I dont know how much detail they have gone into regarding the effect of the circumstances. Would it be appropriate to contact the University if I wanted to tell you how the circumstances affected me?
Do Warwick take a lot of emphasis on personal statement?

Quick Reply

Latest