The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

I know what to do with Rg, but how to find the other 9 terms in the sequence?! Can somebody please post a clue?
Reply 941
Hmmm, it's hard to give a clue for Rg without giving it away...
Look at the elements on the periodic table the numbers indicate, and see if you can spot why they are in that order. It's got nothing to do with their actual properties or anything like that... :smile:
Reply 942
I dont even know where to start! I know who it is in the picture thats about it!
Reply 943
The picture doesn't really mean anything.... :tongue:
Reply 944
I really can't figure out why they're in that order, its nothing to do with the date of discovery and their atomic number isn't in the right order!
Original post by EllyR
Hmmm, it's hard to give a clue for Rg without giving it away...
Look at the elements on the periodic table the numbers indicate, and see if you can spot why they are in that order. It's got nothing to do with their actual properties or anything like that... :smile:

EllyR, you are a godsend! I finally got it! Oh and, another clue to people still stuck on Rg, there are only 14 e******* in the p******* t**** that only have one "something" that isn't a chemical property at all. Figure out what the "something" is, and it should be easy.
Reply 946
Original post by Randophera
EllyR, you are a godsend! I finally got it! Oh and, another clue to people still stuck on Rg, there are only 14 e******* in the p******* t**** that only have one "something" that isn't a chemical property at all. Figure out what the "something" is, and it should be easy.

Yay! :smile: Glad I could help :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 947
any1 knows what the mirror in silver level mean?
Original post by pippy1
any1 knows what the mirror in silver level mean?

You may wish to look up 'chirality'. :smile: (Although you don't need it for the question. It's a pretty damn cool topic if I'm honest).
Well I am totally stuck on Silver. I am quite sure I have all the parts needed to solve this and yet, I cannot get the answer! If anyone would be interested in helping me, PM away.
Reply 950
is the answer to Rg 155*************

but it doesnt work when i put it in
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ajsullivan
Well I am totally stuck on Silver. I am quite sure I have all the parts needed to solve this and yet, I cannot get the answer! If anyone would be interested in helping me, PM away.

You need to recognise the molecules associated with the pictures.

X and Y are not numbers, they are formulae.
Reply 952
Original post by pippy1
is the answer to Rg 155*************

but it doesnt work when i put it in

Normal calculators don't have enough digits, try using a computer calculator :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Llewellyn
You need to recognise the molecules associated with the pictures.

X and Y are not numbers, they are formulae.

Many thanks for that. I got it in the end, i must have put in every combination of those damn elements in OTHER than the answer.

Now im stuck on Gold. I am 99.9999% sure i have the right answer and it wont bloody accept it. If anyone wants a chat via PM im willing, i just don't get why it wont accept it :smile:
Many thanks for that. I got it in the end, i must have put in every combination of those damn elements in OTHER than the answer.

Now im stuck on Gold. I am 99.9999% sure i have the right answer and it wont bloody accept it. If anyone wants a chat via PM im willing, i just don't get why it wont accept it :smile:

Make sure you're giving the time in days not seconds, and go to 1 d.p.
Original post by Llewellyn
Make sure you're giving the time in days not seconds, and go to 1 d.p.

Well the 1dp helps, but no luck. obviously i am either missing something or have a wacky number somewhere. :frown:
Well the 1dp helps, but no luck. obviously i am either missing something or have a wacky number somewhere. :frown:

1 dp? Me and my friend used only 3 sig. fig. and the answer was accepted. Maybe you're using the faraday constant instead of just using avogadro and elementary charge. I hope you didn't forget to times 3, because Al2O3 is composed of Al3+ ions.
Well finally finished. Silver was by far the hardest. The thing i hate (love?) about this quiz is that its so hard to figure out how to write the damn answers! Special thanks to llewellyn for the hints above. You don't even want to know the stupid mistake I was making for Gold! :P

See you next month!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 958
argh, ive found the 14 numbers but thenwhat do i do with them???
Reply 959
I am really stuck on Silver, please give me a hint, point me in the right direction! Is it anything to do with Limonene?

Quick Reply

Latest