The Student Room Group
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe

Bucks New Uni Interview! Adult nursing

Hi! I have an interview for adult nursing at Buckinghamshire new university next week, just wondered if anyone else does?! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do on the 5th! I think they will be emailing us a questions tomorrow to prepare for the literacy test, I was orginally invited for the 14th but had another one on the same day so couldn't make it. It was just a short passage that it said to revise around. Do you know anything about the math test? :smile:
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe
Reply 2
I had my interview yesterday but for childrens nursing. The maths test was ok your not aloud to use a calculator so try and make sure you know how to work out percentages, and conversions i.e. cm to meters. Apart from that its ok.
Good Luck :smile:
Reply 3
I have mine on the 5th too! What was in the maths test? I need to know what to revise! Haha :smile: what was the interview like as well?
Reply 4
I have an interview on the 19th December and I am really nervouse about the group discussion. Last time they gave us a topic to research, so I was fine, didnt get an offer though. But this time they didnt.
Reply 5
Original post by sapphire0
I had my interview yesterday but for childrens nursing. The maths test was ok your not aloud to use a calculator so try and make sure you know how to work out percentages, and conversions i.e. cm to meters. Apart from that its ok.
Good Luck :smile:

Did you had an individual interview as well?
Hi All,

Had my interview there in october for mental health nursing. I got in xD (little brag there LOL!)
Start of the day, the maths and english test. Both literally GCSE C-grade level stuff - would NOT worry about it, fractions, decimal points and basic adding and subtracting. The English test is 20 mins long - so they're not expecting perfection or a proper essay. Just state a few points and explain them. Next they sat around 8 of us in a room and asked one question, then allowed us like a minute to answer it. Then again with around 6-7 more questions. It wasn't enough time to get alot out so make sure you get your answers concise!!! People were goin on n on n onnnnnnn about REALLY irrelevant stuff which was clearly nervousness, so ensure you're not rambling and if you find yourself rambling stop yourself there. After that, they send you all back into the general area, and call back the person/people they want to ask more questions to individually (which is what they did with me, and sent the rest home, who didn't get a place). I am now in - so if you get invited back into the room i'm 99% sure you're in!!
Any questions ask away :smile:
See ya septemberrrr 2013 <3
Reply 7
That is so helpful! Thanks so much. You've put
my mind at ease now :smile:
Reply 8
Hi! I have applied for Nursing and I was invited for the interview this month. In the email there was a registration form attached and when I looked at the qualification list, the second to the last row says "enhanced CV". why is it in the qualification list? For those who already attended the interview: did you bring your CV with you? This whole thing really confuses me...
Reply 9
Original post by Louise82
I do on the 5th! I think they will be emailing us a questions tomorrow to prepare for the literacy test, I was orginally invited for the 14th but had another one on the same day so couldn't make it. It was just a short passage that it said to revise around. Do you know anything about the math test? :smile:

hi, hope your interview went well. Just wanted to know if you got questions emailed to you for the literacy test.

emmajaynee_ I think the enhanced cv is for the post graduate nursing programme, but I am not so sure. Maybe you should email the admission and ask.
Reply 10
Hi Guys! Had my interview on wednesday, the whole day I was really nervous and worried. I didn't take my CV, just my certificates, passport and birth certificate. As well as photocopies of all of these. Also 2 passport sized photos of myself. The maths and english test was not as bad as I thought. They emailed me a topic to research around but it was mainly opinion and common sense. I'd suggest revising for the maths test, even though it's GCSE level 2. It had things like percentages, decimals, fractions, adding, subtraction, multiplying fractions, rounding decimals etc. I haven't heard of a rejection or offer yet but they said they'd give a rejection the day after. Good luck with your interviews! Anything else you want to know just ask :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by emmajaynee_
Hi Guys! Had my interview on wednesday, the whole day I was really nervous and worried. I didn't take my CV, just my certificates, passport and birth certificate. As well as photocopies of all of these. Also 2 passport sized photos of myself. The maths and english test was not as bad as I thought. They emailed me a topic to research around but it was mainly opinion and common sense. I'd suggest revising for the maths test, even though it's GCSE level 2. It had things like percentages, decimals, fractions, adding, subtraction, multiplying fractions, rounding decimals etc. I haven't heard of a rejection or offer yet but they said they'd give a rejection the day after. Good luck with your interviews! Anything else you want to know just ask :smile:

Thank you for letting us know about the interview day. I hope you hear back from them soon and its good news.
Reply 12
Hi.
I have had an interview with Bucks and to be honest this wasn't the nicest experience of my life.
The English and Maths tests were very easy, then there was a presentation about becoming a Nurse and the person was asking quite a lot of questions so it was very interactive.

After this there was a group discussion. The lecturer that was with us seemed to be very prejudiced. He did not give a chance to say something you want to say (as he interrupted all the time with his unnecessary comments)and did not allow you to back it up with your life experience or any other examples that maybe you have read or heard somewhere. He did not let you explain why do you want to become a Nurse how you wanted it to explain (obviously I didn't say "to help people and make a difference" as this is what they hear all the time on the interviews) and he decided that none of the prospective students know what it is like to be a Nurse. Well, I am not a Nurse but I work closely with Nurses on the daily basis, I work the same shifts as them and also hear them complaining about how hard it is (it's not like my job isn't hard!), but unfortunately according to this person looks like I still don't know.

I met a person on a coffee break and was talking to her about becoming a Nurse, why do I want to be a Nurse and about other Nursing related stuff as I thought she is one of the applicants. Turned out she was one of the Nurses from the interview panel. Too bad she wasn't interviewing me because she actually treated me as an equal and I would call this conversation as a discussion and not what I experienced as a part of my interview. Or maybe I have had a different understanding of what discussion is.

It is a nice looking Uni, but even if I would get an offer I would not want to go there. How can I learn to treat patients as an equal if the people who would teach me would not treat me like that?

Edit:
I got an unconditional offer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by ladyinred_
Hi.
I have had an interview with Bucks and to be honest this wasn't the nicest experience of my life.
The English and Maths tests were very easy, then there was a presentation about becoming a Nurse and the person was asking quite a lot of questions so it was very interactive.

After this there was a group discussion. The lecturer that was with us seemed to be very prejudiced. He did not give a chance to say something you want to say (as he interrupted all the time with his unnecessary comments)and did not allow you to back it up with your life experience or any other examples that maybe you have read or heard somewhere. He did not let you explain why do you want to become a Nurse how you wanted it to explain (obviously I didn't say "to help people and make a difference" as this is what they hear all the time on the interviews) and he decided that none of the prospective students know what it is like to be a Nurse. Well, I am not a Nurse but I work closely with Nurses on the daily basis, I work the same shifts as them and also hear them complaining about how hard it is (it's not like my job isn't hard!), but unfortunately according to this person looks like I still don't know.

I met a person on a coffee break and was talking to her about becoming a Nurse, why do I want to be a Nurse and about other Nursing related stuff as I thought she is one of the applicants. Turned out she was one of the Nurses from the interview panel. Too bad she wasn't interviewing me because she actually treated me as an equal and I would call this conversation as a discussion and not what I experienced as a part of my interview. Or maybe I have had a different understanding of what discussion is.

It is a nice looking Uni, but even if I would get an offer I would not want to go there. How can I learn to treat patients as an equal if the people who would teach me would not treat me like that?

Edit:

I have to agree with everything you've said. The lecturer I had was a women and was extremely rude and made every one of us feel as though we answered questions wrong. She'd interrupt and put you down at every opportunity. I know they are meant to test you but I think she took it a bit far. I was unsuccessful for the course however I wouldn't have gone there anyway as I didn't like the place or people. Well done on your offer though! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by emmajaynee_
I have to agree with everything you've said. The lecturer I had was a women and was extremely rude and made every one of us feel as though we answered questions wrong. She'd interrupt and put you down at every opportunity. I know they are meant to test you but I think she took it a bit far. I was unsuccessful for the course however I wouldn't have gone there anyway as I didn't like the place or people. Well done on your offer though! :smile:

what made me laugh is that they did not invite me for the individual interview and they gave me an offer anyway. I don't want to go there anyway because they don't do placements in my area but I needed them in case the uni where I want to go rejects me.
I've done some research about they lecturer and he was one of the mental nursing lecturer so I think he was testing us how we cope under a pressure. But what I've heard in the group discussion that was said by other people was a nightmare. When he asked if we would challenge a doctor if we knew he was doing something wrong most of the people said that they are more senior than nurses and know what they are doing. Of course they would take the responsibility if something went wrong but you can't risk the patient's health so obviously you have to challenge them!!!
The other thing was about respecting patient's choices so what would we do if the patient's asked us to overdose morphine so they can die quicker. Luckily no one said they would do that but the other answers were just sad.

I work already in the hospital so I am already "inside" and have a little bit of knowledge how things work and what they do in certain situations. On that selection day I met lot of people that have never worked anywhere in their lives. One person asked me what I am applying for. When I replied that for "adult nursing" she asked me "why would you want to do adult nursing?" she was applying for children's nursing and thought she'll be just looking after cute kids. I really suggest get some voluntary work experience so at least you know what to say on those interviews.

I have another interview in January in the Uni where I want to go and I'm glad that I have had this interview in Bucks first because I know what's the worst to expect so I can prepare myself even better.
Reply 15
Wow I was actually thinking of substituting London southbank for bucks but I'm glad I read this thread. LSBU lecturers were really stuck up and didn't even look at you like a human very rude and ill mannered people! I don't see how a person can go to uni and excell when being taught by lecturers with bad stuck up un social attitudes.
Reply 16
Original post by ladyinred_
Hi.

Edit:

hi! I had an interview for adult nursing in December, and I had a similar group interview which was really tough, at the time I thought the man interviewing my group was rude, but when I left it came to me that he behaved like that on purpose to see how we would react, in nursing we will face so many personalities some of which we won't like and I believe he behaved this was to test how we did under pressure and under scruteny. Yes it was stressful but being that you got an offer surely means you have what it takes to be a good nurse as I'm guessing you remained calm and congratulations on your offer!
I got an offer to start adult nursing in September 2013, it's joint first choice with de Montfort university, I just can't make up my mind. But I did love bucks, I thought the staff and students were lovely!!
Reply 17
Hi , next week i've got intrview @ kingscollege , but so nervous about group discussion topics . any body with clue ?
Original post by Love90
Wow I was actually thinking of substituting London southbank for bucks but I'm glad I read this thread. LSBU lecturers were really stuck up and didn't even look at you like a human very rude and ill mannered people! I don't see how a person can go to uni and excell when being taught by lecturers with bad stuck up un social attitudes.

This is so different to what I got, I applied to both LSBU and Bucks, but for a different course to you, and both of the lecturers I met were so lovely that its making the choice between all my Uni's that much harder.
Reply 19
Hiya colleagues,
I had an interview for mental health nursing at new Buckinghamshire uni in Feb. 2013. After the group interview I had one to one interview. I ve not been offered an admission till date.

I received a telephone from the university couple of days ago from the admission officer saying that the mental nursing admission team decided that it is necessary to do another one to one interview with me before deciding whether or not to offer me a place . I am worried and scared. I am not sure why it is like this.

Just wondering, does anyone has this experience? What Do I expect for the second interview.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending