The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Clinical Sciences at the University of Bradford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Epsilon1234
hi ralphus...quite frankly everyone that does clinical sciences wants to transfer to medicine at leeds...HOWEVER i hav NUMEROUS friends that have transferred across...yes only twenty people can transfer but given that in foundation year i think the chances are a little better because no disrespect you are competing with often MORE people who perhaps are not as 'clever'...

in my year the same rules for transfer applied u needed 70percent overall and 70percen in chemisty WHICH IS VERY IMPOrtant...a friend of mine had one of the highest overall averages in my year 80 or sumthin percent BUT she didnt have a 70percenin chemsitry and so could NOT applyfor medicne bear that in mind!!!

in my year i was one of 18 people ONLY to get the grade in a class of approx 70or a few more people. ALL of us were invited for interview...14 ppl transferred across successfully and i was one of 4 ppl hu were unfortunately rejekted-these are VERY good odds particularly aince i cn honestly say my interview performance was terrible i barely had any work experience. altho bare in mind i thi k theres about 100 maybe a litle bit more students and so itl probz be a little bit greater the number of people getting the grades

i would say realistically the chances are good and achievable depending on
-ur ability to meet the entry requirment 70percnt etc
-and then the usual personal statemnt and interview are EVERYTHING...u need to practice for that....so far every one that i kno that has achieved the grades wede called to interview...except for a year1 group a few year back when some people were rejekted without interview but i think this unlikely

i hope thathelps ive written quite alot its a bit wordy i kno but i jus wrote it off the top of my head so yeah if u need clarification or further explanation on something feel free and i wil get bak asap.

good luck take care

Hi mate I got an offer recently from b991 is that the right course shouldn't foundation in medicine be b990?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
This thread is interesting. Just what I was looking for :smile: Just got an interview letter for Clinical Sciences for 12th December through the post today. I have a few queries which I hope you can answer.

1) What is the interview like? What sort of questions etc would be really useful.
2) What would you recommend wearing to the interview?
3) What was your overall % at the end of the clinical sciences year?
4) I have been predicted A*A*A for this year, what would be a likely offer based on that?
5) How difficult is it to transfer? and what do you think was the reason you were rejected first time round?

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 62
Original post by bad8oy
Hi mate I got an offer recently from b991 is that the right course shouldn't foundation in medicine be b990?

91 is foundation I thought :s-smilie:

Original post by UzairAhmadje
This thread is interesting. Just what I was looking for :smile: Just got an interview letter for Clinical Sciences for 12th December through the post today. I have a few queries which I hope you can answer.

1) What is the interview like? What sort of questions etc would be really useful.
4) I have been predicted A*A*A for this year, what would be a likely offer based on that?
5) How difficult is it to transfer? and what do you think was the reason you were rejected first time round?

hey, I've also applied! I havent heard anything yet, but its my back up choice, as all my medicine options want AAA. Hope it goes well!
Reply 63
Foundation year student here started in September. Just a few pointers that I think people should know and what I've learn so far.

1. It's not easy. A lot of people underestimate the difficulty of this course and think it is going to be easy because it is a foundation year. It's not. Yes some modules are pretty much A-Level such as chemistry (well so far) but others such as biology are what I would describe as advanced A-Level. The difficulty is more difficult than A-Level but nothing you wouldn't be able to handle if you put your mind to it.

2. Everybody wants to transfer. That's around 110 students and we have been told that the numbers of people on the course increase year on year. So expect a slightly larder group next year. However talking to people on similar course and in the year above the number of people wanting to transfer decreases as the year goes on.

3. There are some stupid modules you have to complete like the personal portfolio and you have to achieve 70% in these as well.

4. The interview style has changed for the transfer. The interview will now be MMI.

5. This is more of a general bradford uni advice point but I'll put it here anyway. Look around when buying accommodation. The green is good. Very clean new modern but is also very expensive. You may also have to put up with some terrible disgusting inconsiderate ****ers for flatmates like me. Or you may get really nice clean flatmates like my girlfriend.

6. It is easy to get sucked into the stereotypical university lifestyle. I already know several people that have. On the course and on others. They just get high all day and party all night. Sounds fun until exams arrive and you realise you don't have a clue what the question is trying to ask.

7. If you have the grades reapply to medicine after taking a gap year don't go through this. This is for a couple of reasons.
i) A gap year is really chilled out. Yes you may have to do volunteering work or work experience but you have the freedom of doing whatever you want. It is probably the last chance you will have an opportunity like that. Don't waste it.
ii) Think about others it is already majorly competitive. The least you could do is give the opportunity to someone without the grades and who genuinely needs it.

8. You may end up having to work with people who are for lack of a better word incompetent idiots. For example I have to work with people on the practicals who are useless and only do things when instructed otherwise just sit there let you do the work and copy the results.

9. University requires a lot of self discipline. There is a lot of free time use it wisely.

Also try spending the summer doing some work experience somewhere or volunteering work and carry it on when you get to Bradford.
Reply 64
Original post by UzairAhmadje

1. If your personal statement is a medicine one. It will be a med interview.
2. Oxford white shirt. black/grey suit and black/brown shoes. black socks and a nice tie. And pink boxers these are important.
3. Haven't finished.
4. Offers are the same regardless of predicted grades. It's on their website look it up.
5. Personally I think it looks much more difficult than people assume it to be. I was rejected first time because my grades were crap missing my predicted grades by 1 mark in each subject. Still not sure whether that was because of not trying hard enough or because I wasn't good enough to get the grades.
Reply 65
Original post by carehow
Hey, I just applied here (foundation in clinical sciences) as a fifth option as I didn't really have another fifth option I actually wanted to do (I'm applying to science foundation years). I'm not at all hopeful, as although my personal statement mentions that I want to go into healthcare, it doesn't say medicine and it's only a few sentences, it's focused on general science foundation years. Nor am I made for medicine (I only have scheduled work experience, not work experience I've done yet, and my grades aren't medicine worthy at all (I'm predicted BBD although I'm probably going to get BBB), and as this is a last minute thing preparing for a medicine-related interview is going to be hectic and I'm probably going to be absolutely slaughtered at interview. I just wondered how horrible the interview would be for me, if I get offered one at all? I imagine it's going to be very difficult without work experience! Although this is my fifth option, looking at the course I'd be incredibly stoked to get accepted (although I'm being realistic - I'm probably not going to be!) and would seriously consider going here.

Don't worry. The course is designed for people like you (saying this in my head makes it sound really bad but I mean it in the best way possible. :smile:)
There are people on the course that are contemplating going into various professions in the health care sector. The foundation year isn't tailored just for medicine it is for all healthcare professions. Although the vast majority want to become a doctor. You will not get a medical interview you will only get one of those if you have a medicine personal statement. You will probably get a general healthcare interview. So look up things like what makes a good healthcare professional. What qualities makes a good healthcare professional what you would do in certain clinical settings etc.
The interview is not as bad as you think. If you are struggling they will give you prompts. Questions are easy and what you would expect. Make sure you know your A-Level stuff. Staying calm is the key.
Reply 66
Original post by evan almighty
This course was supposed to be my back up with the view of getting to leeds uni in the 2nd year but i got an email last week saying my app has been unsuccessful for the three year course even though I'm predicted A*AA and b at as but I was offered alternative degrees I could do in Bradford. Could this because they are looking for student that might not be strong enough candidates for medical school or could it have something to do with my personal statement? :/

Probably the latter. As there are student with straight A grades and above on the foundation year and first year.
Reply 67
Original post by KJKA
Don't worry. The course is designed for people like you (saying this in my head makes it sound really bad but I mean it in the best way possible. :smile:)
There are people on the course that are contemplating going into various professions in the health care sector. The foundation year isn't tailored just for medicine it is for all healthcare professions. Although the vast majority want to become a doctor. You will not get a medical interview you will only get one of those if you have a medicine personal statement. You will probably get a general healthcare interview. So look up things like what makes a good healthcare professional. What qualities makes a good healthcare professional what you would do in certain clinical settings etc.
The interview is not as bad as you think. If you are struggling they will give you prompts. Questions are easy and what you would expect. Make sure you know your A-Level stuff. Staying calm is the key.

Thanks for the response, super appreciated and really helpful! :smile:
Reply 68
Hi
I'm currently predicted BCD (and a B for GENERAL STUDIES).. and I've based my statement on phsyiology since I'm applying to that at other UNIS.. I don't really have any experience apart from joining 4 different sports.. attending taster lectures and a whole wad of extra curricular and biology. Do you guys thinks it's too late for me to get an offer? Or if I have chance of getting a offer?
I'm really freaking out as most of my friends have perfect offers and statements and I just feel a little down...

Thankyou!
Reply 69
Original post by 12345po
Hi
I'm currently predicted BCD (and a B for GENERAL STUDIES).. and I've based my statement on phsyiology since I'm applying to that at other UNIS.. I don't really have any experience apart from joining 4 different sports.. attending taster lectures and a whole wad of extra curricular and biology. Do you guys thinks it's too late for me to get an offer? Or if I have chance of getting a offer?
I'm really freaking out as most of my friends have perfect offers and statements and I just feel a little down...

Thankyou!

You have a chance as long as you meet the minimum entry requirements. You'll have to look that up on the website.
Like I've said before on this thread this course isn't specifically for medicine it just so happens the majority of the people want to do medicine. You can go on to do many health care courses with this degree. It would help for you to organize some work experience somewhere in the health care sector try looking for some physiotherapy work experience if that's what you are interested in look around write a cover letter and CV contact hospitals GPs community centers health care centers and chase the letters up and after organizing it put in your PS you are planning on doing such an such a thing and what you hoping to gain from it.
I have a friend who wants to do physiotherapy and she is doing the general science foundation year at bradford so it would be useful to look that up too. Unfortunately I don't know much about the general science foundation year.
Reply 70
Original post by KJKA
You have a chance as long as you meet the minimum entry requirements. You'll have to look that up on the website.
Like I've said before on this thread this course isn't specifically for medicine it just so happens the majority of the people want to do medicine. You can go on to do many health care courses with this degree. It would help for you to organize some work experience somewhere in the health care sector try looking for some physiotherapy work experience if that's what you are interested in look around write a cover letter and CV contact hospitals GPs community centers health care centers and chase the letters up and after organizing it put in your PS you are planning on doing such an such a thing and what you hoping to gain from it.
I have a friend who wants to do physiotherapy and she is doing the general science foundation year at bradford so it would be useful to look that up too. Unfortunately I don't know much about the general science foundation year.

I recieved an email in october half term saying I'll hear shortly, but I havent :frown:
Reply 71
Original post by 12345po
Hi

Thankyou!

Have no advice to offer, but just wanted to say I'm in roughly the same position as you (slightly higher predicted grades of BBC and a B for general studies too), also applying for this course and haven't geared my personal statement towards medicine (it's a general science foundation year statement with emphasis on pharmacology and neuroscience), I'm also intimidated by how perfect everyone applying seems to be, haha. Good luck and hope you get an offer!!
Reply 72
Original post by MedMed12
I recieved an email in october half term saying I'll hear shortly, but I havent :frown:

Give them a ring. I had my interview pretty late in the year when I rang up they said I have an interview but just waiting up for slots to clear.
Reply 73
Original post by KJKA
Give them a ring. I had my interview pretty late in the year when I rang up they said I have an interview but just waiting up for slots to clear.

oh really? so you only found out because you rang- they should have just told you, but I guess they want to give everyone approx the same notice. What do I say? :s-smilie:
Reply 74
Original post by MedMed12
oh really? so you only found out because you rang- they should have just told you, but I guess they want to give everyone approx the same notice. What do I say? :s-smilie:

No they were going to tell me but were just waiting for interview times to be confirmed. Say what you want to know.
Reply 75
Original post by KJKA

Thank you!! Yup I've currently been invited for a recruitment event at kings college hospital hopefully that would make my personal statement more interesting !
Physiotherapy is actually what I have always wanted to do but seeing as the requirements were so high i knew that it was hopeless applying but I think i'll do some more research on the science foundation year.
Reply 76
Original post by carehow
Have no advice to offer, but just wanted to say I'm in roughly the same position as you (slightly higher predicted grades of BBC and a B for general studies too), also applying for this course and haven't geared my personal statement towards medicine (it's a general science foundation year statement with emphasis on pharmacology and neuroscience), I'm also intimidated by how perfect everyone applying seems to be, haha. Good luck and hope you get an offer!!

OMG hi5 !!!! xD
Do you think its worth applying to Bradford?I mean all I've read in the reviews are the negatives :frown: I love the whole idea of the foundation but it pretty much sucks that nobody has wrote positives .. if only more UNIS would adopt this foundation year into their curriculum. I want to do it so badly!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by 12345po
OMG hi5 !!!! xD
Do you think its worth applying to Bradford?I mean all I've read in the reviews are the negatives :frown: I love the whole idea of the foundation but it pretty much sucks that nobody has wrote positives .. if only more UNIS would adopt this foundation year into their curriculum. I want to do it so badly!

It's entirely up to you whether you want to apply or not! :smile: Have you been to an open day? I live really near Bradford and one of two of my best friends live there (along with most of my family and my dad grew up there), don't know much about the University but I go into Bradford quite often... I don't like the place at all, it seems really miserable and worn down. But if you want to go for Medicine at Leeds after the year and are confident you can get in, you can sort of think of it as only a temporary year thing. Only you can decide whether you want to apply, you might really like it, university is a personal choice and you seem to really like the course! Good luck in wherever you choose :smile:

Loads of Unis do science foundation years, and a few do health foundation years (not geared towards medicine though - I know York and Keele do nursing foundation years and I'm sure more do).
Reply 78
Original post by carehow
It's entirely up to you whether you want to apply or not! :smile: Have you been to an open day? I live really near Bradford and one of two of my best friends live there (along with most of my family and my dad grew up there), don't know much about the University but I go into Bradford quite often... I don't like the place at all, it seems really miserable and worn down. But if you want to go for Medicine at Leeds after the year and are confident you can get in, you can sort of think of it as only a temporary year thing. Only you can decide whether you want to apply, you might really like it, university is a personal choice and you seem to really like the course! Good luck in wherever you choose :smile:

Loads of Unis do science foundation years, and a few do health foundation years (not geared towards medicine though - I know York and Keele do nursing foundation years and I'm sure more do).

Agree with the bit in bold. It's pretty depressing. People are not very nice and not much to do. And everything looks old (not old as in beautiful old historical looking buildings old as in neglected and worn down)
Saying that though it is close to Leeds which I hear is amazing. Not had time to go there myself yet though.
Reply 79
Hi, I wanted some advice on medicine. I really want to become a paediatric, but I don't have the grades. So I'm applying for pharmacy but after doing some research and reading this I'm guessing I can still do it? Please could you help me. I'm applying for pharmacy next year and I have some offers already. How or what do I do to get onto medicine. Could somebody email me some advice on: [Removed - please use PMs or post here]
I would really really be so thankful for anyone that would give me a direction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending