The Student Room Group

What is the point of life? (atheists only please)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lazzarus
If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?

Does there need to be a reason or goal?
If you die happy and had a good life, then why want for anything else? Who cares what happens next, you had a good ~75 years.
Original post by cleo488
God will never send his believers to hell, but those who strive to mock his believers and reject his existence will be forever condemned to hell.

You will realise once you are six feet under, but it will be too late.

I'm fed up of trolls like you!
Reply 342
Original post by cleo488
When you burn in hell then you will find out.

unfortunately I will not get the opportunity to say I told you so, with the end of both of our existences. plus that would be a pretty Pyrrhic victory...
Original post by cleo488
\The fact is before religion existed there was no morality, human acted like animals. Morality is derived from religion, and despite religion haters like you, that fact cannot be changed.

If you need religion to define your morals you must be insane or evil. Surely it is obvious to any normal person it's not moral to kill, steal, rape, etc.
Reply 344
Original post by BambieWambie
I'm fed up of trolls like you!

Oh so religion is trolling, you imbecile, you atheism is also trolling.

Original post by lucaf
unfortunately I will not get the opportunity to say I told you so, with the end of both of our existences. plus that would be a pretty Pyrrhic victory...

When I am in heaven as God's faithful and you are in hell as God's rejector and mocker, I will tell you 'I told you so' as you burn in hell, that will be victory, and it will not be Pyrrhic as I will be in heaven, you will be in hell..
Reply 345
There doesn't have to be a point.
Reply 347
Original post by cleo488

When I am in heaven as God's faithful and you are in hell as God's rejector and mocker, I will tell you 'I told you so' as you burn in hell, that will be victory, and it will not be Pyrrhic as I will be in heaven, you will be in hell..

while that sounds more desirable than both of us rotting in the ground, that does not make it true
Using the "fire of hell" excuse to try and convince an atheist of a heaven is like using "Santa's naughty list" to convince anyone over the age of about 7 or 8 that a fat man delivers their presents.

As an atheist, I make the most of this life because it's all I have. I don't sit around all day waiting to die, I try to take advantage of the opportunities out there and plan to make a difference to the next generation (and do something fun for my own amusement). I really wouldn't want to go to heaven anyway - If God is as crazy as God sounds to be, there will be plenty of child molestors, rapists, murderers and theives up there. At least those down in hell were honest about it.
Reply 349
Original post by SillyEddy
Using the "fire of hell" excuse to try and convince an atheist of a heaven is like using "Santa's naughty list" to convince anyone over the age of about 7 or 8 that a fat man delivers their presents.

As an atheist, I make the most of this life because it's all I have. I don't sit around all day waiting to die, I try to take advantage of the opportunities out there and plan to make a difference to the next generation (and do something fun for my own amusement). I really wouldn't want to go to heaven anyway - If God is as crazy as God sounds to be, there will be plenty of child molestors, rapists, murderers and theives up there. At least those down in hell were honest about it.

God knows all they will all be in hell with you.

and your santa exmaple is flawed, we know santa does not exist because we put the present there and say santa put them there, therefore we know Santa does not come and put presents there.

However you cannot prove that God does not exist therefore it is flawed.
Original post by cleo488
\The fact is before religion existed there was no morality, human acted like animals. Morality is derived from religion, and despite religion haters like you, that fact cannot be changed.

Wyy is it immoral to kill, steal etc

As a believer of religion my answer is because God forbids it.

But as an atheist what is your reasoning?

I sense (unlike the other atheist on here) this could be an interesting debate.

Morality isn't dependent upon religion at all. If you can't even understand that then I don't know why you're debating at all.
There isn't much point to life in my opinion. But you only have one life so you may as well live it.
Original post by lazzarus
If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?

Maybe the meaning of life is to create your own.
Original post by cleo488
Morality comes from religion, if you are an atheists then do not try to steal the concept of morality it is hypocritical for a atheists to desert religion and cling onto to one one foundations like there is no tomorrow.

Lets have some religious morality then.

Rape victims must marry the person who rapes them.
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

Murder people with different beliefs
If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through. (Zechariah 13:3 NAB)

Slavery is fun
However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Gernocide is cool.
"Go up, my warriors, against the land of Merathaim and against the people of Pekod. Yes, march against Babylon, the land of rebels, a land that I will judge! Pursue, kill, and completely destroy them, as I have commanded you," says the LORD. "Let the battle cry be heard in the land, a shout of great destruction". (Jeremiah 50:21-22 NLT)

Sexism is ok.
Women should listen and learn quietly and submissively. I do not let women teach men or have authority over them. Let them listen quietly. For God made Adam first, and afterward he made Eve. And it was the woman, not Adam, who was deceived by Satan, and sin was the result. But women will be saved through childbearing and by continuing to live in faith, love, holiness, and modesty. (1 Timothy 2:11-15 NLT)

Actually Sexism is really awesome!!
As in all the churches of the holy ones, women should keep silent in the churches, for they are not allowed to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. But if they want to learn anything, they should ask their husbands at home. For it is improper for a woman to speak in the church. (1 Corinthians 14:33-35 NAB)

Dont love your family
(Jesus Speaking) If anyone comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he can not be my disciple. (Luke 14:26 NAB)

Murder babies
Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

Starve Children
So let their children starve! Let the sword pour out their blood! Let their wives become widows without any children! Let their old men die in a plague, and let their young men be killed in battle! Let screaming be heard from their homes as warriors come suddenly upon them. For they have dug a pit for me, and they have hidden traps along my path. (Jeremiah 18:21-22 NLT)

Nope
Atheists didn't get morality from there. Must have got it from somewhere else.
JP Sartre- 'Life is your own work of art'
Reply 356
[QUOTE=":);40519814" Jacob="Jacob"]
Original post by cleo488
[QUOTE=Jacob [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];40519603]

First we should try and define what morals are. I, as I believe many other atheists do, believe morals are the fundamentally rights and wrongs imposed by society in order to live in a peacefull, just way. I don't believe in morals as fundamental laws of the universe that a static and infallible in thier totallity.

Therefore by my definition killing is immoral as it can cause the breakdown of a just, peacefull society. It is logical that for a harmonious society to exist killing, raping and other 'immoral' activities must be at least limited.

But all that is dependent on your assumption a 'just and peaceful' society is right, why is it right? Why os it moral?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 357
Original post by heyhey922
Lets have some religious morality then.

Rape victims must marry the person who rapes them.
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

Murder people with different beliefs
If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, "You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord." When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through. (Zechariah 13:3 NAB)

Slavery is fun
However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Gernocide is cool.
"Go up, my warriors, against the land of Merathaim and against the people of Pekod. Yes, march against Babylon, the land of rebels, a land that I will judge! Pursue, kill, and completely destroy them, as I have commanded you," says the LORD. "Let the battle cry be heard in the land, a shout of great destruction". (Jeremiah 50:21-22 NLT)

Sexism is ok.
Women should listen and learn quietly and submissively. I do not let women teach men or have authority over them. Let them listen quietly. For God made Adam first, and afterward he made Eve. And it was the woman, not Adam, who was deceived by Satan, and sin was the result. But women will be saved through childbearing and by continuing to live in faith, love, holiness, and modesty. (1 Timothy 2:11-15 NLT)

Actually Sexism is really awesome!!
As in all the churches of the holy ones, women should keep silent in the churches, for they are not allowed to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. But if they want to learn anything, they should ask their husbands at home. For it is improper for a woman to speak in the church. (1 Corinthians 14:33-35 NAB)

Dont love your family
(Jesus Speaking) If anyone comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he can not be my disciple. (Luke 14:26 NAB)

Murder babies
Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

Starve Children
So let their children starve! Let the sword pour out their blood! Let their wives become widows without any children! Let their old men die in a plague, and let their young men be killed in battle! Let screaming be heard from their homes as warriors come suddenly upon them. For they have dug a pit for me, and they have hidden traps along my path. (Jeremiah 18:21-22 NLT)

Nope
Atheists didn't get morality from there. Must have got it from somewhere else.

All from the old testement which is overuled by the new testement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cleo488

Get a better hobby, deluded troll!
We strive for perfection, but excellence will be tolerated.

For me, it's about enjoying it, love (family, friends, anything, and it helps the enjoying aspect of life) and finally to create legacies; that could be children, or something that changes the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending