The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mta
Hi,I didn't get the best GCSE's (few A's Mostly B's and 2C's) and I was wondering if there were anyone with similar GCSE's that I have got into uni and which one did you go for.Thanks

Apply strategically:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
Reply 2
People definitely have got into medical school with bad GCSE grades, check out profiles here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=865511

The early part of the list is pretty old, so go nearer to the end to see more recent applicants.
Reply 3
Original post by mta
Hi,I didn't get the best GCSE's (few A's Mostly B's and 2C's) and I was wondering if there were anyone with similar GCSE's that I have got into uni and which one did you go for.Thanks

Not Birmingham or Bristol.

You have to assess your entire profile (GCSE, PS, work experience, UKCAT results, predicted grades) to apply strategically.
Agree with Democracy. I didnt get amazing GCSE's but still got 3/4 of my choices. Do your research thoroughly before applying. If you are as interested in medicine as we think you are, you wont care about where you do it, you just want to do it. Therefore, either make up for your bad GCSE's with A Levels and UKCAT or apply carefully :smile:

Hope this helped

Scape
Original post by Scapepicture
Agree with Democracy. I didnt get amazing GCSE's but still got 3/4 of my choices. Do your research thoroughly before applying. If you are as interested in medicine as we think you are, you wont care about where you do it, you just want to do it. Therefore, either make up for your bad GCSE's with A Levels and UKCAT or apply carefully :smile:Hope this helpedScape
How did you do in you do in your GCSEs? Hope you don't mind me asking! It's just I'm not sure if I should go for medicine next year:/ I got 4 A* 3 A 3 B... (Bs are in eng lit and Lang, French :/) as level predictions: AAAA (3 science and applied business) do I stand a chance? Sorry for being annoying, but need genuine truthful answers :smile:
Original post by MTW47
You will be fine. Just make sure you do well in your AS exams and UKCAT and get some good work experience and I am sure you will get interviews. AS results and work experience in a caring environment over a long period of time, are what a lot of Uni's are looking for. Just do your research well and apply to your strengths.
Good luck for next year:smile:

Aw thank you very much for the encouragement! :smile: do you think it would be beneficial to take maths AS in my a2 year?
Original post by Ilovebiology
Aw thank you very much for the encouragement! :smile: do you think it would be beneficial to take maths AS in my a2 year?

No, uni's don't really care about your AS subject
Reply 8
I'm applying with unbelievably mediocre grades compared to the TSR medics but since my passion is strong enough and i'm determined to fix my areas my AS grades and work experience should make up for my ok gcses

Just go for it man being a doctor isn't all about grades on a piece of paper
How did you do in you do in your GCSEs? Hope you don't mind me asking! It's just I'm not sure if I should go for medicine next year:/ I got 4 A* 3 A 3 B... (Bs are in eng lit and Lang, French :/) as level predictions: AAAA (3 science and applied business) do I stand a chance? Sorry for being annoying, but need genuine truthful answers :smile:

1A* 6A's 3 B's 1C
1A* 6A's 3 B's 1C

What uni? Did you get all 4 offers? My teachers are really discouraging me from wanting to do it :L
What uni? Did you get all 4 offers? My teachers are really discouraging me from wanting to do it :L

Sorry for the late reply buddy. I got 3/4 of my offers:

Barts and the London- Top Choice- Offer accepted
Peninsula- Offer-Not accepted
St. George's London- Offer- Not accepted
Leeds- Rejection prior to interview

I think about it this way. I got accepted everywhere that I got interviewed. Therefore, i see interviews as the most important part of your application as it is the most informative to the school about what kind of doctor you could become. UCAS is just words on paper...

Leeds had 4400 applicants for 2012 entry. 400 of those would be interviewed. Less than 1/10 from application to interview. This is more than double than they normally have. The rejection was expected.

Here are my other stats:

UKCAT: 663
A levels: 2A*1A and A in AS physics (All 3 conditionals were for 3 A's at A2- Finished AS with 4A's)

EDIT: Please do not let your teacher's discourage you. I was discouraged and I battled through all the negativity they threw at me. Here I am. Do not hesitate to PM if you need more advice buddy!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by mta

I got something a little bit similar and I'm doing medicine. Although I'm not doing it in the UK (but I am from the UK). I'm in Prague, Czech Republic. They don't care about GCSE results and A Level results here. If you pass their entrance exam then that's it, you're through. End of. Jut so you know I got BCC in my A Levels for bio, chem and maths respectively but I passed their entrance exam and I'm studying medicine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by qasidb
I got something a little bit similar and I'm doing medicine. Although I'm not doing it in the UK (but I am from the UK). I'm in Prague, Czech Republic. They don't care about GCSE results and A Level results here. If you pass their entrance exam then that's it, you're through. End of. Jut so you know I got BCC in my A Levels for bio, chem and maths respectively but I passed their entrance exam and I'm studying medicine.

How are you able to afford it financially?
Reply 14
Original post by lilyobz
How are you able to afford it financially?

Well unfortunately here, there are no student loans I don't think. So you have to be pretty good financially (which I luckily am) to study here. Every year they want the money, in full, which is over £10,000. So yeah, that is one pretty bad disadvantage for those that aren't in such a good financial situation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by qasidb

Well done for getting in but how are you managing the medicine course ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry for the late reply buddy. I got 3/4 of my offers:

Barts and the London- Top Choice- Offer accepted
Peninsula- Offer-Not accepted
St. George's London- Offer- Not accepted
Leeds- Rejection prior to interview

I think about it this way. I got accepted everywhere that I got interviewed. Therefore, i see interviews as the most important part of your application as it is the most informative to the school about what kind of doctor you could become. UCAS is just words on paper...

Leeds had 4400 applicants for 2012 entry. 400 of those would be interviewed. Less than 1/10 from application to interview. This is more than double than they normally have. The rejection was expected.

Here are my other stats:

UKCAT: 663
A levels: 2A*1A and A in AS physics (All 3 conditionals were for 3 A's at A2- Finished AS with 4A's)

EDIT: Please do not let your teacher's discourage you. I was discouraged and I battled through all the negativity they threw at me. Here I am. Do not hesitate to PM if you need more advice buddy!

Thanks very much for your words of encouragement! :smile: I will pm you now with a few questions, hope you dont mind :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by diggy
Well done for getting in but how are you managing the medicine course ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean? As in how is everything going? If that's what you mean then my answer is that's it's difficult. But medicine's supposed to be difficult. The work itself isn't all that difficult but it's the work LOAD.
Reply 18
Original post by qasidb
What do you mean? As in how is everything going? If that's what you mean then my answer is that's it's difficult. But medicine's supposed to be difficult. The work itself isn't all that difficult but it's the work LOAD.

Is there alot of Chemistry involved ? I hate chemistry but human biology comes naturally to me
Reply 19
Original post by diggy
Is there alot of Chemistry involved ? I hate chemistry but human biology comes naturally to me

I'm only in my first semester of my first year and there's been barely any chemistry so far. But there is biochemistry which is to come later on. Maybe second semester (so after January) or I think it was the second year. Unfortunately, you have to know your chemistry to have any chance of passing medical school.

Latest

Trending

Trending