The Student Room Group

Training Contracts 2015 - Let the Games Begin

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LawOfEntropy
First TC interview of my life next week... With S&M so probably not the last one either haha.

Gotta find a way to explain why in my cover letter I suddenly decided to use "Slaughter & May" in one place rather than "Slaughter and May" like I did everywhere else.

If only that was my only problem....

Scared to death :eek:

Hey there,
how did yours with SandM go? esp the written exercise...quite worried about it.
Original post by bluejayhopping
has anyone heard back from freshfields TC?

Yep, they invited me for an interview 4 working days after I submitted my application.

Hey there,
how did yours with SandM go? esp the written exercise...quite worried about it.

Honestly I enjoyed the interview a lot. Very unique style I think. Best way of describing it is as a conversation that spins off one random question and ends when they realise you've been talking for an hour and a half or so... We spent very little time talking about the article, mainly used it as a launching point for further points of discussion...

For the written exercise, I'd say make sure you are aware of the time passing by. I tried to over-elaborate I think, and ran out of time.
(edited 11 years ago)
So first TC rejection of the year from A&O, 48 hours exactly after submitting the application, minute for minute, which makes me think it was an automatic rejection based on my module results. I have taken 31 exams so far in my degree, got 22 firsts, eight 2.1's and one 2.2 (58%). Guessing the 2.2 offsets the rest... Oh well.
So first TC rejection of the year from A&O, 48 hours exactly after submitting the application, minute for minute, which makes me think it was an automatic rejection based on my module results. I have taken 31 exams so far in my degree, got 22 firsts, eight 2.1's and one 2.2 (58%). Guessing the 2.2 offsets the rest... Oh well.

:rolleyes:
Reply 44
Does someone have more of a chance at firms in the bottom half of the top 100 UK law firms, rather than the top half? I don't think my academics are good enough to be applying to the big ones so I'm concentrating my TC applications to the ones I like out of the ones ranked between 50 and 100.

Is this a good strategy?
Original post by Floating
Does someone have more of a chance at firms in the bottom half of the top 100 UK law firms, rather than the top half? I don't think my academics are good enough to be applying to the big ones so I'm concentrating my TC applications to the ones I like out of the ones ranked between 50 and 100.

Is this a good strategy?

Whilst there will be less people applying for TC with those lower ranked firms, the number of TCs available will also go down so from a purely statistical point of view (according to Chambers student) your odds don't improve that much.
This being said, the top students will (unless they are very dedicated to a specific firm, which is the case in some cases) apply and get offers from higher ranked firms so if you just fall short of the top tier firms then you will be a very strong candidate for lower tier firms.
I would say that regardless of this, you may want to throw a few TC applications to higher ranked firms and see where they get you! What's the worse that can happen ? :P
Just got a rejection from Linklaters. I really wish they would provide feedback, I felt I did well on the application. Must have been my 2:2's in my first year, despite my first class overall :frown:
TC offer from Freshfields! So happy! Literally couldn't believe it.

Original post by midnightL
Just got a rejection from Linklaters. I really wish they would provide feedback, I felt I did well on the application. Must have been my 2:2's in my first year, despite my first class overall :frown:

Sorry to hear about that. I think it will indeed have been the 2.2s. (See my previous post about A&O). Unintelligent filtering if you ask me... Don't give up though, some firms are more sensible when it comes to assessing applications.
Original post by lawofentropy
TC offer from freshfields! So happy! Literally couldn't believe it.

Congrats! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
TC offer from Freshfields! So happy! Literally couldn't believe it.

well done! Any news from sandm yet?
And has anyone else heard from Freshfields yet? I feel my application is on the verge of being trashed :frown: been a month!

well done! Any news from sandm yet?

Thanks, and no I haven't heard from them yet. I saw my tutor today, turns out they asked him for a reference last week but he hasn't done it yet... So maybe they're waiting on that.
I kind of hope for a rejection because otherwise I'm not sure which one of the two I'd prefer :/
Thanks, and no I haven't heard from them yet. I saw my tutor today, turns out they asked him for a reference last week but he hasn't done it yet... So maybe they're waiting on that.
I kind of hope for a rejection because otherwise I'm not sure which one of the two I'd prefer :/

strange- i thought SandM call for reference? does your tutor have to write one then?
haha gd luck still! it's best to have choices!
strange- i thought SandM call for reference? does your tutor have to write one then?

Yes, in my case they asked for a written reference. No idea whether they called first, probably wouldn't have gotten through anyways as my tutor is quite busy. He sent them off today though, so we'll see.
lawofentropy, are these rolling recruitment? I was unsuccessful in the last cycle and was too late to understand how rolling recruitment worked...are MCs recruiting now? :|
Rejection from Herbert Smith, must have been that logical reasoning test, sadly.
Original post by anthonymous
lawofentropy, are these rolling recruitment? I was unsuccessful in the last cycle and was too late to understand how rolling recruitment worked...are MCs recruiting now? :|

Yep, MC firms have for the most part (with the notable exception of CC) opened their recruitment for non-law students.

If you're a law student, they will only interview you after the law deadline which is 31 July for most of them. However if you are a non-law student then most of them will hold interviews before then. Here's a few of the biggest ones i know about (NON LAW only):

Slaughter and May: applications open, invite for interview 1-2 weeks after application submitted

Freshfields : applications open, invite for interview 1-2 weeks after application submitted

A&O: applications open, review on a rolling basis, not sure if interviews are held on a rolling basis or after the deadline has passed (31 Jan)

Links: idem (same as A&O)

CC: applications open for one month in January, interviews after that

HL: applications open and reviewed on a rolling basis, interviews (first batch) in January +February

Baker & McKenzie: applications open, will not be reviewed until Spring for non-law (date not provided)

Simmons&Simmons: applications open and reviewed on a rollling basis, unsure about interviews

HSF: applications open, filtered on a rolling basis, unsure about interviews

Obviously there's more. To answer your question, yes they mostly recruit on a rolling basis and I would advise you to apply as soon as possible, unless you feel your application will be significantly enhanced by delaying it (ie more work experience or something). But weigh the pros and cons of delaying it.
Original post by midnightL
Rejection from Herbert Smith, must have been that logical reasoning test, sadly.

:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that... I didn't get through their vac scheme application either.

If it makes you feel better, none of the other firms (that I know of) use logical reasoning in their filtering process \o/

Good luck with the rest.

Ok so you were right. They asked for a written reference and once they received that they called my referee (yesterday) to discuss the reference, so that must be what they do.

Sorry for the triple post, didn't feel like making a mega post :/
Reply 58
Yep, MC firms have for the most part (with the notable exception of CC) opened their recruitment for non-law students.

If you're a law student, they will only interview you after the law deadline which is 31 July for most of them. However if you are a non-law student then most of them will hold interviews before then. Here's a few of the biggest ones i know about (NON LAW only):

Slaughter and May: applications open, invite for interview 1-2 weeks after application submitted

Freshfields : applications open, invite for interview 1-2 weeks after application submitted

A&O: applications open, review on a rolling basis, not sure if interviews are held on a rolling basis or after the deadline has passed (31 Jan)

Links: idem (same as A&O)

CC: applications open for one month in January, interviews after that

HL: applications open and reviewed on a rolling basis, interviews (first batch) in January +February

Baker & McKenzie: applications open, will not be reviewed until Spring for non-law (date not provided)

Simmons&Simmons: applications open and reviewed on a rollling basis, unsure about interviews

HSF: applications open, filtered on a rolling basis, unsure about interviews

Obviously there's more. To answer your question, yes they mostly recruit on a rolling basis and I would advise you to apply as soon as possible, unless you feel your application will be significantly enhanced by delaying it (ie more work experience or something). But weigh the pros and cons of delaying it.

So for law students, do they even look at your application before then or arrange interviews? I'm thinking of sending a few applications over the holidays (third year law student) but is there no chance of an interview (and possibly an offer) before 31st July?

A lot of firms have really clear deadlines for penultimate law and final year non-law and even graduates but the position is really unclear for third year law students! I emailed Linklaters about when to apply and they said to apply whenever unless I really feel as if my third year results will make my application stand out. That essentially gives me a window of now until next July to make an application and I'm not unsure whether to just focus on studies or applications :s-smilie: I have enough vacation schemes/legal experience so I'm not really looking to be doing more of those.
Original post by alibaba03
So for law students, do they even look at your application before then or arrange interviews? I'm thinking of sending a few applications over the holidays (third year law student) but is there no chance of an interview (and possibly an offer) before 31st July?

I do not know for sure what the procedure for law students is. Generally firms will interview in August/September, i.e after their vac schemes as they recruit a large part of their law intake from these.Oh and they definitely (for the most part at least) will filter and shortlist applications as they come in, but they may be reluctant to fill interview slots before the deadline has passed. That is usually indicated on their websites though.

The problem I can envision with applying in your final year as a law student is that you're effectively applying for the "previous intake", if you see what I mean, because they recruit two years in advance.
So they'd have to either add you to their 2014 cohort (which they have already filled by now) or force you to delay your entry by a year...

I'd say call HR at a few firms and ask them the question! Certainly won't hinder your applications and might clarify things a little.

Oh and regarding applications, I'd advise you to fill them as you go through the year, whenever you have some time on hand, even if you decide to submit them after you get your results. That way you won't be rushed as the deadline nears and you can just put your final year results and submit the whole thing!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply