The Student Room Group

How many driving lessons should I have a week?

Hello,

I am going to start driving lessons in the new year and I am not sure how many lessons to have a week. I would like to pass my test around May/June 2013.
Is it better to have one long lesson or several short ones a week?
How many lessons do you have a week?

Thanks guys :smile: xx

Scroll to see replies

Most people have one, usually an hour, sometimes an hour and a half :smile:
Reply 2
An hour a week is plenty I say.
Reply 3
Original post by JordanS93
Hello,

I am going to start driving lessons in the new year and I am not sure how many lessons to have a week. I would like to pass my test around May/June 2013.
Is it better to have one long lesson or several short ones a week?
How many lessons do you have a week?

Thanks guys :smile: xx

I had 2/3 a week but only because I was unemployed, not at college and had a grand burning a hole in my bank account.

I passed first time after 4 months - when you pass your test is down to how quickly you learn, how you retain information (and it's a lot easier if you have more than 1 a week) and stuff like that. Don't set yourself a "target" because you'll be disappointed if you don't do it by then, just chill, learn as you go and enjoy it.
1 hour a week is plenty.

But couple this with loads and loads of practise in your own car if possible.
Reply 5
Original post by St Tezza
An hour a week is plenty I say.

I only ever had 1 hour a week and passed after 6 months, you don't really forget how to drive once you've learnt the basics, so don't worry if you miss a week or two.
Reply 6
I did 1 and a 1/2 hours a week but i started off with 1. Also getting practice with your parents in their car helps and is cheaper.
Reply 7
I have two hours a week and I feel I've progressed much quicker than my friends who are only doing 1 hour a week.
I have my test booked for tomorrow and I've been learning since August.
Some of my friends on the other hand have been learning since this time last year and don't have their test until after me. Just depends really
I've had two lessons a week and I feel I would have progressed slower (obviously :rolleyes: ) if I had less a week. Regardless of what anyone on here tells you, you will learn quicker the more lessons you have to a certain extent obviously. Try one a week at first and if you feel like you'd rather have more lessons tell your instructor. Just do what you're comfortable with, and don't let anyone pressure you to have more/less a week.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
i had one 2 hour lesson per week, i started last november and passed first time in july :smile: i'd say it's best to spread it out rather than do a quick course, as you get to experience different weather conditions etc with the instructor in the car, but i suppose it depends how confident you are as to when you book your test. i think i once got told that something like 30 hours all together is the average that people learn for before passing their test
As many as you can fit in and can afford really. I work full time so have a one hour lesson after work on a friday, or if he is unavailable one hour on a saturday.
Depends, if you have money and time. If you do I would do it like a crash course. Three two hour lessons at least a week at least, if you want to learn quick and get to test standard asap. I did two lessons a week, an hour per lesson and I passed at 22 lessons first time. Driving didn't come naturally to me either and I still don't really like driving. Find a good instructor and I would not go for 1 lesson a week because it will take you a **** load of time to progress, the average person passes at around 30 lessons so can you imagine driving for around 6-8 months at least? I did two lessons a week most weeks sometimes due to uni and other stuff had to take a week off here and there and I passed in 4 months. Two lessons keeps you sharp, I would do thursday and saturday but by the time I came back for the next lesson on Thursday I had to take a bit of time to re-adjust. Depends on you tbh. Do what you think would suit you, I could have done more for sure but I really didn't like lessons so I kept it at two.
Reply 12
Speaking from experience, the more lessons you do in a short span of time makes you learn quicker. Then of course like what everyone else said, if only you have the time and money to spare.
I had one two-hour lesson a week... Though slightly more frequently when it was getting close to having the test.

Took me 3 months and 4 days to pass at that rate.

Don't have too many - You'll frustrate yourself, and you'll only remember the skills because they're fresh in your head (surface learning)

Don't have too few - You'll forget the skills and spend far longer trying to catch up again

Just the right amount - The skills will become ingrained a lot better. You'll be driving more on instinct and it will become a lot more natural to you.
Reply 14
Original post by MOANRY
. Also getting practice with your parents in their car helps and is cheaper.

My parents do not drive, which is why I was planning on having extra paid lessons :frown:
Reply 15
I found 2 hours a week was best. You manage to do more in 2 hours than 1. When you get closer to your test you can increase or decrease that amount to what suits you.
Reply 16
i have 1 two hour lesson a week
Reply 17
I'd recommend going for several short lessons a week rather than one long one, definitely.

And if you want to pan it out over 6 months then 2hrs/week should be fine - if you want to pass sooner, I think 3/4 lessons a week would be better.

Most important thing is to get a good instructor, so try find one using recommendations off people you know :biggrin:
Reply 18
I have one lesson a week which is for 1 hour 30 minutes, and it's plenty in my opinion.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I have one lesson lasting one hour each week, which I think is perfectly sufficient and I plan to have passed by the summer (had my first lesson last week!). My instructor gave me some notes to look over (e.g on starting with handbrake on & off, hillstarts etc) and the plan is if I go over that during the week I can just practice it in my lesson without the tedious re-capping so that a) I have less lessons and so save money and b) will hopefully pass in a quick(er) time.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest