The Student Room Group

(A2) AQA geography unit 4B -

Hello fellow geography students :biggrin:!

Just wondering if any of you have been given your information booklet yet? Isn't it something about brazil this time? :confused: I know they have been sent to my college :smile: but I want to go through it now :cool:

I am worried unit 4A would be "easier" as half are just random skill questions - + practical fieldwork investigation - pretty simple to get a grip of!

Has anyone sorted a plan or structure for the questions as they are all between 10-15 marks (geography is a pain to get the structure right - lots of practise this year)...and I really need to get 90% on this exam :biggrin: want the A* :biggrin:

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi - I'm sure you're teacher will be going through it with you soon, but in the meantime you might like to follow us at @ZigZagGeography on twitter for helpful updates (I hope!)
Reply 2
I did 4B in June and got full UMS - it is possible, you've just got to work really really hard!

A few tips:

Make sure you actually put in the work for 4A/4B and don't leave it right to the end. At our school, we only had three lessons on 4B, compared to the rest of the year for Unit 3. 40% of the A2 is based on Unit 4, and I did practically everything outside.

In terms of your decision, I didn't do 4A, but I heard that it is possible to prepare the same fieldwork for Unit 2 and Unit 4A. Additionally, as both papers use the same 'skillset' in effect, you can double up on your revision. As I've said, I didn't do this, so it is your choice, and it might be worth looking at the pre-release for 4B before you confirm your decision.

If you do decide to do 4B, remember this: outside research is key to a good grade. For the Nepal paper, I did stacks of extra research on demographic statistics, developmental statistics, projects other charities have done, etc etc. The pre-release is only a guide; you have to make sure you DON'T copy word for word from it. Knowing it thoroughly, understanding the main issues involved and having the ability to adapt your knowledge to the question, including your own analysis and facts in your exam essays, is the key to high marks.

You can get your own information from the sources suggested in the ZigZag, Wikipedia, books, anything which is related to the topic. Make a good set of notes structured around the ZigZag, answering all the questions in there as fully as you can, and make sure all your extras are included. This extra work is the one thing that differentiates you from other candidates. The ZigZag guide is useful to work through in order to bring your knowledge of the issue up to speed, but you MUST do more than just that. Having said that, there are usually questions on data presentation, stats or fieldwork too; these should be easier to identify as they are clearly referenced in the AIB itself. I would say this paper is more about geographical understanding than revision per se - in the exam because I'd gone over everything so much beforehand I knew exactly where everything was in the AIB, and it made life so much easier. I barely even used the AIB in the exam, to be honest!

Good luck
Original post by DavidCrow
I did 4B in June and got full UMS - it is possible, you've just got to work really really hard!

A few tips:

Make sure you actually put in the work for 4A/4B and don't leave it right to the end. At our school, we only had three lessons on 4B, compared to the rest of the year for Unit 3. 40% of the A2 is based on Unit 4, and I did practically everything outside.

In terms of your decision, I didn't do 4A, but I heard that it is possible to prepare the same fieldwork for Unit 2 and Unit 4A. Additionally, as both papers use the same 'skillset' in effect, you can double up on your revision. As I've said, I didn't do this, so it is your choice, and it might be worth looking at the pre-release for 4B before you confirm your decision.

If you do decide to do 4B, remember this: outside research is key to a good grade. For the Nepal paper, I did stacks of extra research on demographic statistics, developmental statistics, projects other charities have done, etc etc. The pre-release is only a guide; you have to make sure you DON'T copy word for word from it. Knowing it thoroughly, understanding the main issues involved and having the ability to adapt your knowledge to the question, including your own analysis and facts in your exam essays, is the key to high marks.

You can get your own information from the sources suggested in the ZigZag, Wikipedia, books, anything which is related to the topic. Make a good set of notes structured around the ZigZag, answering all the questions in there as fully as you can, and make sure all your extras are included. This extra work is the one thing that differentiates you from other candidates. The ZigZag guide is useful to work through in order to bring your knowledge of the issue up to speed, but you MUST do more than just that. Having said that, there are usually questions on data presentation, stats or fieldwork too; these should be easier to identify as they are clearly referenced in the AIB itself. I would say this paper is more about geographical understanding than revision per se - in the exam because I'd gone over everything so much beforehand I knew exactly where everything was in the AIB, and it made life so much easier. I barely even used the AIB in the exam, to be honest!

Good luck

Thank you, this was really good to know!!!!
Reply 4
Oh, we've just started our 4B. I think it's going to be a long road ahead, but apparently some colleges don't start till after christmas, so I think we're going to be okay! It's a really intresting subject though, and I think I might do quite well. Just make sure you put in alot of work, and organize it all as well. I've got my own folder for it all as we are expecting alot of work and loose ends haha. But yes I think you're college has started it right on time :wink:
Reply 5
We've started it now too! yeah its about energy issues and building a dam in brazil! My teacher says its a good topic but im not so sure! Have you got the zigzag booklet? Im having trouble with the first few tasks already! uh-oh! D:
Original post by a_m_y
We've started it now too! yeah its about energy issues and building a dam in brazil! My teacher says its a good topic but im not so sure! Have you got the zigzag booklet? Im having trouble with the first few tasks already! uh-oh! D:

what is the "zig-zag" booklet? :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Daniel George
what is the "zig-zag" booklet? :biggrin:

its this booklet a company produces or something with tasks to complete and practice questions in :smile:
Original post by a_m_y
its this booklet a company produces or something with tasks to complete and practice questions in :smile:

oh my teacher has that, as she is using it as mock questions etc - the topic is soo good though!! I can't wait to get more into the research now, i've found quite a few good websites too :biggrin:!
Reply 9
oh my teacher has that, as she is using it as mock questions etc - the topic is soo good though!! I can't wait to get more into the research now, i've found quite a few good websites too :biggrin:!

Could you share those websites with us?

Cheers :smile:
How is everyone feeling about the exam next week? confident? :biggrin:
How is everyone feeling about the exam next week? confident? :biggrin:

More pessimistic than confident :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I can't find much information on the positives of the dam. Does anyone have any resources that give a number of positives? When I search online, it comes up the negatives even though I type in positives/advantages!
Reply 13
Original post by sheldorofazaroth
I can't find much information on the positives of the dam. Does anyone have any resources that give a number of positives? When I search online, it comes up the negatives even though I type in positives/advantages!

Well and advantage would be that it produces 'clean' renewable enrgy. also it could potentially help Brazils development as with more electricity they can either sell it to make more money or they can use it (like they are with the mining) to make money which they could then pump back into the economy or to help the indigenous people displaced by the dam to find new homes. Also the dam will provide jobs and the villages around the dam could be 'upgraded' so that they have running water and sewage supplies. I guess that although the reservoirs behind the dam could cause species to become extinct due to submergence of the rainforest, the submergence could provide homes for the mosquitos and other insect which would the provide food for birds which then provide food for other predators. Also the moquito larvae would provide food for fish under the water. Those fish could end up helping the river dolphin as then they can't swim away fromt eh dolphins as they are trapped. The blocked flow of the river would then block sediment. Also the river would deposit its sediment due to reduced velocity and so create new islands which potentially could rise out of the water and provide new habitat for some creatures.
Sorry I'm rambling a bit but i hope this helps!
Reply 14
Original post by Curtiss
Well and advantage would be that it produces 'clean' renewable enrgy. also it could potentially help Brazils development as with more electricity they can either sell it to make more money or they can use it (like they are with the mining) to make money which they could then pump back into the economy or to help the indigenous people displaced by the dam to find new homes. Also the dam will provide jobs and the villages around the dam could be 'upgraded' so that they have running water and sewage supplies. I guess that although the reservoirs behind the dam could cause species to become extinct due to submergence of the rainforest, the submergence could provide homes for the mosquitos and other insect which would the provide food for birds which then provide food for other predators. Also the moquito larvae would provide food for fish under the water. Those fish could end up helping the river dolphin as then they can't swim away fromt eh dolphins as they are trapped. The blocked flow of the river would then block sediment. Also the river would deposit its sediment due to reduced velocity and so create new islands which potentially could rise out of the water and provide new habitat for some creatures.

providing homes for mosquitoes is a negative, malaria alert!! haha
Reply 15
Original post by Curtiss

Do you know why they decide to build it on the Xingu River instead of somewhere else? :s
Reply 16
Original post by sheldorofazaroth

i found this so helpful, give it a read its got a lot of information in it :-)
http://www.brasil.gov.br/para/press/files/faq-belo-monte-1
Reply 17
I'm not really sure how to revise for this exam :frown: my teachers say to use the booklet first when answering a question and attach a piece of your own knowledge, so I've gone through the booklet and linked bits of it with my own knowledge. I've planned two questions I think might come up as well (pros and cons and that one in item 5).

Is there anything else I can do?
Reply 18
Original post by niamh067
I'm not really sure how to revise for this exam :frown: my teachers say to use the booklet first when answering a question and attach a piece of your own knowledge, so I've gone through the booklet and linked bits of it with my own knowledge. I've planned two questions I think might come up as well (pros and cons and that one in item 5).

Is there anything else I can do?

there's another thread called GEOG4B - Brazil's energy mix, someone has attatched a load of practice questions which are worth a go!
Reply 19
Hi guys...
I've been doing some practice questions, and one question I just don't know what to write for is
"Explain why the government of Brazil is keen to develop the Belo Monte Dam (10 marks)"

I know this seems one of the most obvious questions,,, but... well I'm not an obvious kinda person haha :P

Our teacher gave us questions, so I was just going through making mind maps of all the key points that link to each question.
Does anyone know what points for this question?

so far all I can think of is:
- generates jobs for construction of the dam (but i swear these will only be short term jobs or am I wrong)?
- development (but I don't know how to expand on this).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending