The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7840

The absolutely orgasmic prospect of a Fassbender-McKellan dynamic has me looking forward to this one. :coma:
Just saw The United States of Leland.

Absolutely brilliant film in my eyes. Also first time I saw a very young Ryan Gosling (in the notebook he seemed older, I guess he played a different role).
I loved Seven Psychopaths - saw it today. But then I'm a bit weird so :smile:)
Just found out we're not getting Django Unchained until January 19th. I know it's standard for American films in international release, but it's...annoying nonetheless.

:colonhash:
Reply 7844
Original post by Christien
Just found out we're not getting Django Unchained until January 19th. I know it's standard for American films in international release, but it's...annoying nonetheless.

:colonhash:

Peter Bradshaw on The Guardian has given it 5/5, which is very rare. :beard: That's a lot better than I felt it would fare.

EDIT: Just checked, and on Metacritic it's currently 79 from 11 reviews: closer to what I would have thought based on the trailer (and Inglourius Basterds).

EDIT2: I'm not sure if I mentioned it here, but I did end up watching Django a couple of weeks back. It was pretty enjoyable, a little bit artsier than I had expected!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7845
What was the general consensus in here on Looper? I managed to catch it a couple of days ago and thought it was utterly terrible.
Reply 7846
Original post by Mess.
What was the general consensus in here on Looper? I managed to catch it a couple of days ago and thought it was utterly terrible.

I thought it was fairly good, a decent attempt but not really as good as some people said it was. What didn't you like about it? :smile:
Reply 7847
Original post by Abiraleft
I thought it was fairly good, a decent attempt but not really as good as some people said it was. What didn't you like about it? :smile:

The concept just didn't seem to click with me and the story was far too 'meh'. I'm finding it hard to articulate why I didn't really enjoy it but I think one of the main things was that I just didn't feel like the concept was fleshed out or explained enough. It seems more like the sort of thing that could have worked well as a series of films or a tv series but as a singular film it just felt like a lot of 'almost' ideas that never quite came to fruition and created a lot of frustration for me.

Also, guy with broken hand was a terrible actor.
Reply 7848
Every time I see the full Les Miserables trailer I get goosebumps.
Watched Gladiator last night on ITV. Properly welled up at the end. :frown:

"Go to them."

*sniff*
Finally got around to watching The Artist a couple of days ago and must say it was really good. That and Hugo were magical (Hugo more so) and very worthy Oscar contenders imo. I was surprised. Better than The King's Speech from last year which was a little overrated I think.

Two very good movies. I want MORE. Scorcese nailed Hugo. I'm disappointed I didn't get to see it in the cinema now!
Original post by Flibble22
Watched Gladiator last night on ITV. Properly welled up at the end. :frown:

"Go to them."

*sniff*

One of the best movie scenes imo.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mess.

I absolutely loved it, it was great how Rian Johnson approached what could have been a completely brainless action film with a sensitive touch. The cinematography was breathtakingly beautiful in places (like Bruce Willis' alternate future story, and the rainmaker scene), and the characterisation was perfect - the way the film made the audience sympathetic to Bruce Willis' plight before making him out to be an absolutely ******* was so deftly dealt with (imagine how that twist would have been dealt with in a M Night Shyamalan film...). I thought it was really inventive how it was skipping through genres at a fast rate too (although I can understand why some people could see that as an ADHD scatterbrain approach which never develops any of the ideas it brings up). It paid homage to everything from spaghetti westerns to the Twilight Zone whilst remaining its own film (RJ is obviously a big cinema geek with all his referencing, will be interesting to see if he keeps it up in future films).

In short: There were so many places where they could have taken the easy way out to make a cookie-cutter action film, but instead they made intelligent choices and at least attempted some subtlety.

The only thing I didn't like was JJL's makeup. JUST SAY HE'S BRUCE WILLIS' YOUNGER SELF AND WE'LL BELIEVE YOU! The eye contacts and weird nose was completely over the top and didn't look like Bruce Willis at all, and were really quite distracting.

To be honest, I was shocked by the trailer. Probably the BIGGEST missell of a film I've seen in a long long time (maybe ever?).

I am a big fan of Rian Johnson's work in general - Brick was fab (if you like Film Noir). I love how each of his films are completely different, he doesn't have any lazy signature/ego-trip moves like most other directors, he works with the respective genre to make the most of its strengths. You could never guess his films were all directed by the same person. He could be the next big thing in directing IMO, so I'm really happy to see him enter the mainstream. Can't wait to see his next movie!

(Sorry did I gush too much? :o: )
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7853
The Amazing Spider-Man was very mediocre. I'd give it 5/10, maybe 6 at a push.
Original post by Deshi
The Amazing Spider-Man was very mediocre. I'd give it 5/10, maybe 6 at a push.

Yeah, I much preferred the new approach to the Tobey Maguire series, but another origin story seemed unnecessary. Will be more interesting to see what the second film is like, it felt like the first film was the necessary evil that needed to get out of the way so they could move onto the proper meat of the story.
Reply 7855
Original post by Mess.
The concept just didn't seem to click with me and the story was far too 'meh'. I'm finding it hard to articulate why I didn't really enjoy it but I think one of the main things was that I just didn't feel like the concept was fleshed out or explained enough. It seems more like the sort of thing that could have worked well as a series of films or a tv series but as a singular film it just felt like a lot of 'almost' ideas that never quite came to fruition and created a lot of frustration for me.

Also, guy with broken hand was a terrible actor.

Well, what I liked:

Spoiler

What I didn't really like:

Spoiler

Overall, I thought it was a decent attempt and well-intentioned, but not really pulled off brilliantly. I'll still look forward to Johnson's next effort.

If I remember correctly, guy with broken hand was actually really good in Brick. :dontknow:

What did you think of Paul Dano? I really liked him in There Will Be Blood, but I thought he looked pretty limited here. Something suggests to me that he's a better stage-actor than a screen actor.
(edited 11 years ago)
Just watched Transformers 1 after a few years of not seeing it.

Awesome film, but why is Megan Fox considered attractive? She's stick thin! I'm sorry but I like women I can actually see without straining my eyes!
Reply 7857
The Hobbit was great! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 7858
Original post by Flibble22
Just watched Transformers 1 after a few years of not seeing it.

Awesome film, but why is Megan Fox considered attractive? She's stick thin! I'm sorry but I like women I can actually see without straining my eyes!

General differences in opinion and taste, I suppose. Just like liking Transformers. :sly: :p:
Reply 7859
Very fun interview with Dustin Hoffman (also below). :h:

Spoiler

I always get confused between Quartet and A Late Quartet, both of which were released this year. :colondollar: I'm looking forward to seeing both; especially, I have to say, the latter.

Quick Reply

Latest