The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aja89
Every time I see the full Les Miserables trailer I get goosebumps.

I smell an Oscar.

2012 has been a great year for film imo.

Side-note, any funny, chilled out films to watch? I want to celebrate my last completion of coursework for the term :biggrin:
Original post by Iamyourfather
Side-note, any funny, chilled out films to watch? I want to celebrate my last completion of coursework for the term :biggrin:

Anything with Seth Rogen. :biggrin:
Reply 7862
Original post by Iamyourfather

Hot Fuzz?

It depends on what sort of comedies you like, but my favourite is probably Dr Strangelove (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb). :colondollar:
Reply 7863
I need a epic sort of film to watch, any suggestions?

I was tempted with Kingdom of Heaven extended edition but watched it over the summer. Was meant to re-watch Avatar as I've only watched it once but left the DVD at uni :colonhash: I was thinking of watching John Carter but everyone says its crap and I don't really wanna waste two hours.
Abiraleft's created a Film of the Year poll for this year: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2202396

So please do check it out and vote. And, if you fancy it, post with a justification for your choice and how you've felt about this year in film. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7865
Watched Premetheus last night, very interesting :beard: I just wish that

Spoiler

City of God is a stunning film.
Reply 7867
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
City of God is a stunning film.

It is. :yep: Great production value. It's incredible to think that there was only one professional actor in the film! :eek:
I saw some films recently. Can't remember what they were, so they must not have been great.

WAIT! Whip It was great.
I saw some films recently. Can't remember what they were, so they must not have been great.

WAIT! Whip It was great.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the reboot but this does look like it is going to be good, even if it turns out Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Khan.
Original post by SirMasterKey

I wasn't the biggest fan of the reboot but this does look like it is going to be good, even if it turns out Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Khan.

Whats wrong with Benedict 'most british name ever' Comberbatch? :P

Also, incase you haven't seen it http://www.areyouthe1701.com/
Reply 7872
Original post by Flibble22
Watched Gladiator last night on ITV. Properly welled up at the end. :frown:

"Go to them."

*sniff*

One of my first ever DVD's and definitely one of my favourite films ever.

My mate tried arguing that Braveheart was better the other day :no: . I now feel compelled to re-watch Braveheart tonight as I've only seen it once and I definitely didn't think it was better than Gladiator back then.
Original post by Tommyjw
Whats wrong with Benedict 'most british name ever' Comberbatch? :P

Also, incase you haven't seen it http://www.areyouthe1701.com/

I think I gave the wrong impression there. I have nothing against Cumberbatch as an actor, in fact I really like him. My point was more a case of the film essentially being a remake of Wrath of Khan (i.e. problem was that he plays Khan not that he is the baddie).
Original post by SirMasterKey
I think I gave the wrong impression there. I have nothing against Cumberbatch as an actor, in fact I really like him. My point was more a case of the film essentially being a remake of Wrath of Khan (i.e. problem was that he plays Khan not that he is the baddie).

Ooohh i get it now. My bad.
Reply 7875
Started a new film blog. :smile:

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/
Reply 7876
anyone here recommend man on wire? also need to get godfather part 2
Original post by Equal
anyone here recommend man on wire? also need to get godfather part 2

Yeah, Man on Wire is good fun. Very well edited to make use of the clips they had. I thought it was a bit overrated at the time (as a documentary it does what it says on the tin, not really any twists or revelations), but an enjoyable watch.
(edited 11 years ago)
Aye, Man on Wire was really good but I didn't (and still don't) understand the way it seemed to dominate so many top 10 lists, although I do think it deserved the Oscar over the other nominations.

Going to watch The Invisible War and End of Watch later. Quite looking forward to both. 6_6
Just seen "Silver Linings Playbook" in t'cinema. 10/10

It really does portray someone with bipolar/aspergers very, very well. And it gives me hope, being bipolar and having been through A LOT of **** as well. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest