The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL THREAD! Sociology-Families n households, exam date: January 11th 2013, SCLY1

So someone else started a new thread for the >> Scly2 21st may 2013 Education + Research Methods<<< visit this page if your doing the same exam :smile:

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE TAKING THIS EXAM ON FRIDAY!! :biggrin:

Hi, everyone i just wanted to post an Official thread for the Sociology- families and households exam which is on January 11th 2013, SCLY1... I want to get as many people as possible disccussing ideas and sharing tips on how to revise for sociology.... I would also like to wish everyone Good Luck in advance for your exam and remember to revise hard!!

I would also like to share this thread with you guys who are sitting this exam.... it's a thread from 2010 i think and it's just people discussing their sociology exam (families and households) ... it also has a lot of information on different topics such as social policy etc... when you open this link make sure to go to page 1 as it begins from there ...>>>> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1145618&page=2&page=2

check out this other website too it's good for sociology>>>> http://www.educationforum.co.uk/sociology_2/familymenu.htm

AND one more thing i would like to share is this resource i found which explains how to answer the 24 mark questions at the end it's just a plan which i though would be helpful it's on the attatched file
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Whats your email address I'm doing this exam too and I'm really nervous about it :frown:
I have a target grade A, theres so much pressure on me. I have a crap teacher and like im gonna fail. any predictions of the essay questions?:s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by gloriousgloria
I have a target grade A, theres so much pressure on me. I have a crap teacher and like im gonna fail. any predictions of the essay questions?:s-smilie:

I agree, does anybody have any predictions as to what may come up? :smile:
Reply 4
I've got a feeling that Marxism may come up because it has only come once in the past papers on AQA(2012 past paper I think) I don't understand Marxism can someone explain it to me? :smile:
Reply 5
Those essay plans were exactly the kind of thing that I was looking for. Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 6
I'm sitting this too! I feel confident, i guess it just depends on which questions come up haha!
Reply 7
Damn it guys, I'm doing the exam too:frown: I'm really not confident, pretty sure I just spent over 2 hours making 3 mind maps today haha. I'm seriously screwed with this, is there a high chance that marxism will come up? If so I really think I'll fail. I wouldn't mind if the essay questions were about how the family has changed over time and child centred society.
I did find this which gave a bit of information if anyone else gets confused with marxism, I hope it helps:smile: - http://www.sociologyexchange.co.uk/resource/1795/
I dont think marxism will come up for some reasons. Assess the marxist perspective of the family serving capitalism (somethin like dat) has already come up. What else about marxism could come up. Been trying to predict but yh not going to well. I hope its a broad essay question that doesnt require you to pick information from one part of unit :l
Can anyone tell me if it's essential to know the year of when a sociologist produced work? For instance, if I mentioned correctly what Murray said about single-parent families, but did not mention it was in 1990, would I lose a mark?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
CAn someone post the syllabus and do you need to know sociologists names ??
Reply 11
Yes u do need to know them.

The syllabus past papers and answers are on the aqa website under essential materials.
Reply 12
Hi everyone , I was just wondering a couples things if you could help me. How many times should we use the source in the 24 mark questions? And how many paragraphs should we do for the 24 mark question to get an A?
Reply 13
I have been stressing out so much about this exam but I can't even get my head around doing revision, I just can't do it and I don't know why:frown:
Reply 14
Original post by hannaahhhh
I have been stressing out so much about this exam but I can't even get my head around doing revision, I just can't do it and I don't know why:frown:

I am finding revision quite difficult too, I actually thought it would be easy to revise for Sociology but I am struggling. The way I am trying is to make a flow chart style thing, where I write the theme (Domestic Division of Labour e.g), them the theories and theorists, and then the effect on the family. I find it quite helpful because that is also how I try to write my essays. I think there is a lot to remember for this subject, and I think that is why I am finding it more difficult to revise for this than for my other exam (Chemistry).
Original post by brendonbackflip
Can anyone tell me if it's essential to know the year of when a sociologist produced work? For instance, if I mentioned correctly what Murray said about single-parent families, but did not mention it was in 1990, would I lose a mark?

It isn't just know the sociologist. When doing essays I never only use their surname name though, but only because I find it confusing :P
Reply 16
bop:

Hi everyone , I was just wondering a couples things if you could help me. How many times should we use the source in the 24 mark questions? And how many paragraphs should we do for the 24 mark question to get an A?
Reply 17
Original post by Vinster
bop:<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Hi you should refer to the item atleast 3 times
Reply 18
Is there a chance of gender coming up? and what is the likelyhood of Marxism coming up? :smile:
Reply 19
the amount of sociologists is quite alot, how much do i need to know for each topic ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending