The Student Room Group

Boxing Day double pay @ river island

Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone can help me. I've been working for river island as a temp staff for 4 weeks. I've worked on Boxing Day & didn't take any day off even when I was really ill. Today I took a day off cos of flu & the store manager told me that my double pay for Boxing Day will be taken away cos I took a day off today. No one told me about this on my induction.
Ive been working so hard & to be honest that really irritated me. I looked at my contract & it didn't say anything about it.. Shall I ask the manager to show me the terms of employment or speak straight to payroll? It's not much about the money, I'm annoyed that they didn't explained this before hand & looked like they've just invented it & are taking the piss.
yep
Reply 2
Original post by Chanel83
x

Stand your ground.
Reply 3
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
yep

? Care to elaborate? Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Sol1dShot
Stand your ground.

I guess I'll have to speak to the manager. But it'll help a lot if anyone who's been in a similar situation can advice me.
Reply 5
I guess I'll have to speak to the manager. But it'll help a lot if anyone who's been in a similar situation can advice me.

All depends on the wording of the contract.

If it says that all bank holidays such as boxing day are to be paid at double rate, Pay the man!

However, if it says something about bank holidays being paid at double at the managers discretion then your screwed.

Hmm. look what google threw up. LOL and i thought my job was bad! :eek:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1874053

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1090740
Reply 6
All depends on the wording of the contract.

If it says that all bank holidays such as boxing day are to be paid at double rate, Pay the man!

However, if it says something about bank holidays being paid at double at the managers discretion then your screwed.

Hmm. look what google threw up. LOL and i thought my job was bad! :eek:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1874053

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1090740

Thanks for your reply. I hate river island :frown:
Reply 7
Thanks for your reply. I hate river island :frown:

No worries. Just ask your manager nicely for clarification. And if that doesnt work ask to speak to someone in HR.

At the end of the day, its only a part time retail job. Its not exactly your career, and they can easily find someone else just as easily as you can find somewhere else so dont get too stressed.
Reply 8
No worries. Just ask your manager nicely for clarification. And if that doesnt work ask to speak to someone in HR.

At the end of the day, its only a part time retail job. Its not exactly your career, and they can easily find someone else just as easily as you can find somewhere else so dont get too stressed.

You're right. It's just so annoying >_<
i only applied cos I need an experience in retail.
I'll just let it go.. No point getting upset about it. It's already ruined my day, I'm not gonna let it ruin another day.x
Reply 9
My manager said to be eligible all you need to do is either work the full week before or after the week after boxing day
Reply 10
Original post by Wavy
My manager said to be eligible all you need to do is either work the full week before or after the week after boxing day

What?? Really? Well I've only took 1 day off. & that was 3 days after Boxing Day /:
Reply 11
What?? Really? Well I've only took 1 day off. & that was 3 days after Boxing Day /:

Then as long as you've worked the full week before it should be fine I think but i'm not sure, maybe different branches do it different
Reply 12
Original post by Wavy

Ive called employee relations & they said you'll have to complete from 18th to 1st of January to qualify for double pay. I hate river island.
Ive called employee relations & they said you'll have to complete from 18th to 1st of January to qualify for double pay. I hate river island.

That's not very nice. They should have included this in the contract or said something beforehand. Though i've heard river island isn't the best store to work for

Quick Reply

Latest