The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B (Salters) Thursday 10th January Discussion

Haven't seen it anywhere so thought i'd make it. How's preperation going for you guys?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by cheetahs56
Haven't seen it anywhere so thought i'd make it. How's preperation going for you guys?

:hi:

it's awful :frown: I'm going through past papers :cute: how's it going for you?
Reply 2
Original post by lilGem
:hi:

it's awful :frown: I'm going through past papers :cute: how's it going for you?

Hi:biggrin:

Mine has to be the worst exam prep ever. My teachers haven't turned up for about 18 lessons in total, there was 1 whole week (7 lessons) when neither teacher was here. As a result we just "finished the module" on the last day before Xmas, but they missed out a few key things i.e. Entropy and Gas Volumes, Reforming, Cracking, Isomerisation etc.

Plus, they don't even know what to teach us! They wasted time on topics like E/Z Isomerism which is in the next module! Also with oxidation of Alcohols which I think is A2:eek: And their idea of 'teaching' is a handout from a powerpoint made in 2008, so they don't have to doi anything:redface:

But apart from that it's fine:tongue: What topics do you find the hardest? And sorry for ranting, had to get it out of my system.....:colondollar:
Reply 3
Hi:biggrin:

Mine has to be the worst exam prep ever. My teachers haven't turned up for about 18 lessons in total, there was 1 whole week (7 lessons) when neither teacher was here. As a result we just "finished the module" on the last day before Xmas, but they missed out a few key things i.e. Entropy and Gas Volumes, Reforming, Cracking, Isomerisation etc.

Plus, they don't even know what to teach us! They wasted time on topics like E/Z Isomerism which is in the next module! Also with oxidation of Alcohols which I think is A2:eek: And their idea of 'teaching' is a handout from a powerpoint made in 2008, so they don't have to doi anything:redface:

But apart from that it's fine:tongue: What topics do you find the hardest? And sorry for ranting, had to get it out of my system.....:colondollar:

My teacher despite being the head of chemistry basically just went over GCSE things for the entire module so I'm feeling really uncertain, luckily another teach has provided notes summarised and colour coded for both topics.

I think enthalpy cycles can be confusing, gas volumes make me want to cry :cry2:

it's okay it's salters you can rant :yep:
Reply 4
Original post by lilGem
My teacher despite being the head of chemistry basically just went over GCSE things for the entire module so I'm feeling really uncertain, luckily another teach has provided notes summarised and colour coded for both topics.

I think enthalpy cycles can be confusing, gas volumes make me want to cry :cry2:

it's okay it's salters you can rant :yep:

Enthalpy cycles are pretty confusing, i personally hate all the types of bonding- but that's mainly because I can't be bothered to learn it:colondollar:. Gas volumes are well explained in CGP Salters book if you have it? There are only a few ways of asking the question so once you learn those you'll be fine:biggrin:

That's good you had the other teacher to help you out a bit. Have you looked through past papers? That gives you a good guide as to what sort of questions they ask and to the detail your expected to know. Need to read through Chemical Storylines and learn things from there, but not much time left...:eek::eek:

And is it just me, or is Chemical Ideas really poorly set out?:wink:
Reply 5
Enthalpy cycles are pretty confusing, i personally hate all the types of bonding- but that's mainly because I can't be bothered to learn it:colondollar:. Gas volumes are well explained in CGP Salters book if you have it? There are only a few ways of asking the question so once you learn those you'll be fine:biggrin:

That's good you had the other teacher to help you out a bit. Have you looked through past papers? That gives you a good guide as to what sort of questions they ask and to the detail your expected to know. Need to read through Chemical Storylines and learn things from there, but not much time left...:eek::eek:

And is it just me, or is Chemical Ideas really poorly set out?:wink:

I like bonding :tongue:

I've gone through one or two :yep: the answers just seem like common sense and I just over think them :facepalm:

I have the revision guide, personally thing salters would be soo much better if it just had separate books for AS/A2 with CS combined it's so tedious otherwise :unimpressed: that said they repeat questions a lot.
Reply 6
Original post by lilGem
I like bonding :tongue:

I've gone through one or two :yep: the answers just seem like common sense and I just over think them :facepalm:

I have the revision guide, personally thing salters would be soo much better if it just had separate books for AS/A2 with CS combined it's so tedious otherwise :unimpressed: that said they repeat questions a lot.

I totally agree with the textbook thing- it's all in a really random order and you don't know what you have to know!!

The exams do tend to repeat a lot of questions, and yeah I find they are common sense- Salters is all about us 'applying our knowledge', lol.
Reply 7
I totally agree with the textbook thing- it's all in a really random order and you don't know what you have to know!!

The exams do tend to repeat a lot of questions, and yeah I find they are common sense- Salters is all about us 'applying our knowledge', lol.

I've highlighted the different areas for different topics, they seem to really over-word topics and make them seem so convoluted :sight:

I'm just doing every past paper I can get my hand on and learn the markscheme- they seem to like us explaining spectra, how catalysts work and how an why there are different types of pollutants

We'll get through it :yep:
Reply 8
Original post by lilGem
I've highlighted the different areas for different topics, they seem to really over-word topics and make them seem so convoluted :sight:

I'm just doing every past paper I can get my hand on and learn the markscheme- they seem to like us explaining spectra, how catalysts work and how an why there are different types of pollutants

Hey! I have trouble with Hess cycles. Do you guys understand them? I am just confused about what way the arrows are supposed to be pointing at...
Reply 9
Original post by KleoKyp
Hey! I have trouble with Hess cycles. Do you guys understand them? I am just confused about what way the arrows are supposed to be pointing at...

breaking bonds is a positive value, making them is a negative value take the latter away from the former :smile:

the arrows just point at the number of atoms used of each element :yep:
Reply 10
Original post by lilGem

They love heterogenous catalysts, and pollutants! From what i've seen they also seem to ask about spectra as you said, and nuclear radiation as a 'starter question'. We will indeed get through it....:jumphug:
Original post by KleoKyp

The arrows always move from left to right, so the first arrow should be pointing down, and the second arrow pointing up, if that makes sense? If they are shown the wrong way, you 'reverse the sign', so if it is the first arrow which is the wrong way which would usually be +ve, you make it -ve. Hope that makes sense:tongue:
Reply 11
On another note, anyone know what grade boundaries are like for Salters?
Reply 12
They love heterogenous catalysts, and pollutants! From what i've seen they also seem to ask about spectra as you said, and nuclear radiation as a 'starter question'. We will indeed get through it....:jumphug:

The calculations seem to be fairly easy :yep: I think it's just a matter of knowing the markschemes

On another note, anyone know what grade boundaries are like for Salters?

last year (Jan) it A=47 B=42 C=38 D=34
Reply 13
Grade boundaries seem pretty tricky, although I guess it's not unreasonable. Anyone who struggles with particular questions should post on the thread, between us we can conquer Elements of Life!
Reply 14
Grade boundaries seem pretty tricky, although I guess it's not unreasonable. Anyone who struggles with particular questions should post on the thread, between us we can conquer Elements of Life!

They're really tight :sad;

good idea :cute:
Reply 15
Original post by lilGem
They're really tight :sad;

good idea :cute:

It is really tight, especially if they put in a tricky 5-6 marker which could drop you down a whole grade:redface:

We all need to help of each other, by putting questions up we all aid each others learning and we can get better grades:wink:
Reply 16
Happy new year guys:biggrin:
Reply 17
Can someone explain bond angles/shapes of molecules to me? It's something that I'm struggling. Thanks in advance guys:biggrin:
Reply 18
Can someone explain bond angles/shapes of molecules to me? It's something that I'm struggling. Thanks in advance guys:biggrin:

Use chemical ideas book. It will be explain everything to you.
June 2012 paper and MS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending