The Student Room Group

I'm Irish and want to study medicine in the uk- what tests do I need to do?

Please help. I will be doing my leaving cert equivalent to a levels in 2014,I want to study medicine in the uk ,particularly Oxford or Cambridge, what tests do I need to do and if possible does anyone know if there's anyplace in Ireland to do practice questions? I would love if anyone could explain what the tests are all amount eg. What they entail? Any help would be greatly appreciated,thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are the bmat and ukcat difficult?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Depending on where you apply, you'll need to sit the UK Clinical Admission Test (UKCAT) or the BioMedical Admission Test (BMAT). :smile:
UKCAT and BMAT
Reply 4
Original post by Jenfrench
Depending on where you apply, you'll need to sit the UK Clinical Admission Test (UKCAT) or the BioMedical Admission Test (BMAT). :smile:

Do you know what the difference between these two tests are? Would I need to do both of them? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Tcwillbe
Are the bmat and ukcat difficult?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't tell. I'll sit the UKCAT in the end of July 2013.
Reply 6
For entry in 2014?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know what the difference between these two tests are? Would I need to do both of them? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you wanted to apply to Oxford/Cambridge and some some other russell group unis you would have to do the BMAT and for the rest of the medical schools the UKCAT is required. In the BMAT there are 3 sections and the test is 2 hours long :smile:. The UKCAT is also 2 hours long but has 5 sections which have of 3 types of reasoning.
Reply 8
Well, as far as I know, Oxford and Cambridge require you to take the BMAT.
BMAT : http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/bmat
Reply 9
Original post by AkhiMohamed
If you wanted to apply to Oxford/Cambridge and some some other russell group unis you would have to do the BMAT and for the rest of the medical schools the UKCAT is required. In the BMAT there are 3 sections and the test is 2 hours long :smile:. The UKCAT is also 2 hours long but has 5 sections which have of 3 types of reasoning.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
For entry in 2014?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes!:biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Jenfrench
Yes!:biggrin:

Thanks for taking the time to help me! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Thanks for taking the time to help me! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome.:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

UKCAT is sat sometime between June or July (I can't remember) and October, so you generally have your score before applying to university. The test is meant to be an ability-based test (so it contains a section of verbal reasoning and one of non-verbal reasoning).

BMAT is sat in November (after applying) and has three sections - a data-understanding/problem solving section, a section with science questions (and they're pretty difficult in my opinion) and an essay writing task.

Whether you need to do both depends on where you apply. Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial College London and UCL all require BMAT. Most of the others require UKCAT (though some require neither)
Reply 14
Original post by NinjaNerdfighter
UKCAT is sat sometime between June or July (I can't remember) and October, so you generally have your score before applying to university. The test is meant to be an ability-based test (so it contains a section of verbal reasoning and one of non-verbal reasoning).

BMAT is sat in November (after applying) and has three sections - a data-understanding/problem solving section, a section with science questions (and they're pretty difficult in my opinion) and an essay writing task.

Whether you need to do both depends on where you apply. Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial College London and UCL all require BMAT. Most of the others require UKCAT (though some require neither)

That sums up everything pretty well. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Please help. I will be doing my leaving cert equivalent to a levels in 2014,I want to study medicine in the uk ,particularly Oxford or Cambridge, what tests do I need to do and if possible does anyone know if there's anyplace in Ireland to do practice questions? I would love if anyone could explain what the tests are all amount eg. What they entail? Any help would be greatly appreciated,thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

what on earth for? Medicine can be studied here in Trinity, NUI, UCD UCC all do medicine.

You'll be at home and its usually cheaper here as well.
Reply 16
Standard UKCAT and BMAT :yes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Yes I see that now thanks, do you think there would be a difference in content? There certainly is in price!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending