The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

And?

Negs :biggrin:

i wrote and as it is a regular occurence and happens to a lot of ethnic minorities with muslim sounding names-go make a news story on the normal people it affects.Its not the first time its happened (even to Mo) and if he brushed it off why cant you lot.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 2DAYWSAGUDDAY
And?

Its news so I made the thread.
Reply 3
Gotta love the rednecks. You not like us so you terrorist.

The other question I have is that does he carry his medals with him everywhere just to whip out in said circumstances??
This happens a lot more since 9/11, and not just for Asians/Muslims.

Yet again the select few ruin it for the majority.
Reply 5
This is rather ridiculous, he is one of the most famous athletes in the world, and yet the TSA assume he's a terrorist. I hate the TSA.
Reply 6
Original post by lbsf1

The other question I have is that does he carry his medals with him everywhere just to whip out in said circumstances??

He was visiting his family in USA and he trains there.
Wait, so they targeted him because he was from Somalia originally? Surely that's what we call discrimination?
Reply 8
Why didn't he run away?
Reply 9
Further proof that the terrorists won!
Hooray for racial profiling. To stop them and ask them a few questions is one thing but for them to put him "under investigation as a terrorist threat" and to say he would have to stay away for 90 days is pretty absurd. But I guess that's the way the world is. 'Murrica.
Reply 11
meh not that big as far as theyre concerned any alien is a terrorist until proven otherwise, god help you if you ever make a joke to their border gestapo ahem i mean guards...
Reply 12
Original post by lbsf1

To be fair to the USA customs, if he's got his medals with him he will set off the metal detectors :tongue:
Original post by Bluffroom
This is rather ridiculous, he is one of the most famous athletes in the world, and yet the TSA assume he's a terrorist. I hate the TSA.

They are consistent, if without guile. Just because he is a famous athlete that shouldn't entitle him to a different treatment to anyone else (with discrimination or without).
Reply 14
Original post by Alexgadgetman
They are consistent, if without guile. Just because he is a famous athlete that shouldn't entitle him to a different treatment to anyone else (with discrimination or without).

Yeah but you gotta use common sense, is a world famous British athlete really going to be a terrorist? Would David Cameron get detained as a terrorist? I think not.
Original post by Alexgadgetman

Yes, but to be a known british athlete and to be put on a terrorism list just because of your birth location is rather... over the top. But then again there are the people who force women with prosthetic breasts to remove them or be put on a no fly list and grope kids. I have been patted down by one of the TSA agents using the extensive method when one of the machines at Orlando were down and it feelt more intrusive than standard procedure - I was ****ing disgusted by how uncomfortable they made me. My dad has also complained about it at LaGuardia. The TSA go too far at times - plus the random spot checks aren't the most random in the world.
Original post by S.R
Yeah but you gotta use common sense, is a world famous British athlete really going to be a terrorist? Would David Cameron get detained as a terrorist? I think not.

Well Dave and Mo are very different people. Mo is an athlete - Cameron terrorises the working class. :lol:
Original post by S.R
Would David Cameron get detained as a terrorist?

We can live in hope :biggrin:
Also - in all honesty most white americans would be unlikely to recognise Mo, partly because he is famous in Britain, not the US and partly because of the cross-race effect.

Original post by Bluffroom
plus the random spot checks aren't the most random in the world.

If 90% of robberies are committed by people wearing glasses, i expect 90% of arrests for robberies to be people wearing glasses.
If 95% of vandalism is committed by teenagers, i expect police to be vigilant against youths carrying spray cans.
If 70% of a certain heinous act are committed by a certain hitherto unmentioned religion, i expect 70% of the random spot checks to be on members of that certain unmentioned religion. Not a case of bias, just statistics. Now if the % of that certain unmentioned religion is much lower than the other 30%, surely it is merely a matter of good sense to focus even moreso on that portion of society as the % reward/effort is greatly increased.
Original post by de_monies
Wait, so they targeted him because he was from Somalia originally? Surely that's what we call discrimination?

Maybe not just that, hispassport probably hashis fullname as ' mohammed farah' you know what customs are like
Reply 19
They asked him some questions... it's not like they dragged him off to guantanamo bay

Quick Reply