The Student Room Group

anyone applying to St.mary's twickenham?

is anyone applying to st.mary's twickenham? any current students around who can tell me what it's like, i'm from cornwall and a mature student i have applied to Gloucestershire uni, Marjons, northampton uni and st.mary's what's it like to live around there is it good for public transport and is it exspesive to live on/off campus? nearest supermarket and so on??? oh and where is the nearest swimming pool please?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Page_pool
is anyone applying to st.mary's twickenham? any current students around who can tell me what it's like, i'm from cornwall and a mature student i have applied to Gloucestershire uni, Marjons, northampton uni and st.mary's what's it like to live around there is it good for public transport and is it exspesive to live on/off campus? nearest supermarket and so on??? oh and where is the nearest swimming pool please?

I'm applying to Twickenham! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

I'm applying! I have a friend that goes there already and he loves it! He showed me around and I thought it was so good! The halls of residence look nice and the area in general looks really good.

What are you applying for?
Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Sophiechilds
I'm applying! I have a friend that goes there already and he loves it! He showed me around and I thought it was so good! The halls of residence look nice and the area in general looks really good.

What are you applying for?
Good luck! :smile:

I looked around the halls and they are lovely!
What are you hoping to study? :smile:
Original post by beccycollins
I looked around the halls and they are lovely!
What are you hoping to study? :smile:

Primary education! Or education and social science :smile: I really wanna go there. What about you? x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Primary education! Or education and social science :smile: I really wanna go there. What about you? x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! I really wanna go there too!
Are you going to the post application day?x
i've applied their already and got a place! For the primary teaching course! So happy, such an amazing university! :smile:
Same! I really wanna go there too!
Are you going to the post application day?x

I've not heard about it. What's it for and why? Is it only if you've had an offer? x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm applying to Twickenham! :smile:

what you going to be studying?
I've not heard about it. What's it for and why? Is it only if you've had an offer? x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not quite sure, but I got an email about it x
what you going to be studying?

Education & Social Science with English? What about you?
Hi there, I'm a first year Primary Education student at St Mary's. So if you have any questions feel free to ask
Reply 12
Hi There :smile:
I've applied to do Primary teaching at St Mary's :smile: I have a uni day there soon and I will have to do a written and mathematical test - I feel I will do ok on the written test as I study English Lit, but I am worrying about the maths test as I haven't studied maths in ages! :P I was wondering if anyone knows about any maths tests that are likely to be similar to the one I will get? :smile: Thank-you! :smile:
Original post by clsinger
Hi There :smile:
I've applied to do Primary teaching at St Mary's :smile: I have a uni day there soon and I will have to do a written and mathematical test - I feel I will do ok on the written test as I study English Lit, but I am worrying about the maths test as I haven't studied maths in ages! :P I was wondering if anyone knows about any maths tests that are likely to be similar to the one I will get? :smile: Thank-you! :smile:

I did the interview day in November and got a place- so I can help.
The written test was straight forward, you had to write about an educational issue- make sure you know one- I wrote about the two sides of bringing Modern Foreign Languages into the KS1 curriculum- make sure your handwriting is neat and your spelling + grammar is on point.
The Maths test was a little trickier but was okay. The questions were about fractions, multiplying large numbers, the classification of shapes (eg polygons, square based pyramids etc), cracking a roman numeral code and some other stuff which I can't remember- but that is the majority of it.
I assume theyll ask similar questions! Could be a whole new set though.
Hope that helps!!
Reply 14
I applied to St Marys and have just done my interview! I have a conditional offer for Primary Teaching :biggrin: does anyone know whether they have accepted people with lower grades? as they average ucas acceptance is 240 according to the guardian website, whilst they have asked for higher from me?
Reply 15
I've been offered a place at st Mary's doing primary ed too :smile: I also don't live that far away so know abit about the area, twickenhams nice, good for public transport, about 20mins into London on the train, if you get an Oyster card transport will be cheaper, nearest swimming pool is teddington I think, that's not too far you could get a bus. There's a tesco and sainsburys nearish I'm not sure which is closer though :smile: hope that helps x
Reply 16
Original post by sophier1993
Hi there, I'm a first year Primary Education student at St Mary's. So if you have any questions feel free to ask

Hi
I know its been a while since you posted this but I've only just come across it. I have just accepted an offer to start in September. Sorry in advance for all of the questions...

Would you mind giving me an overview of what the course involves (I know there's information on the internet and in the prospectus, but it would be nice to know (from your experience) what its like)?
How much school experience is there, and when is it and what does it involve?
What is your timetable like (is there allot of teaching)?
Do you have allot of work outside of lectures?

Finally.. How do you feel your first year has gone (are there any negatives)?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Chelsi94
I've been offered a place at st Mary's doing primary ed too :smile: I also don't live that far away so know abit about the area, twickenhams nice, good for public transport, about 20mins into London on the train, if you get an Oyster card transport will be cheaper, nearest swimming pool is teddington I think, that's not too far you could get a bus. There's a tesco and sainsburys nearish I'm not sure which is closer though :smile: hope that helps x

Are you planning on going there? And if yes (as you don't live far away) will you be living at home?
Original post by LDJK
Hi
I know its been a while since you posted this but I've only just come across it. I have just accepted an offer to start in September. Sorry in advance for all of the questions...

Would you mind giving me an overview of what the course involves (I know there's information on the internet and in the prospectus, but it would be nice to know (from your experience) what its like)?
How much school experience is there, and when is it and what does it involve?
What is your timetable like (is there allot of teaching)?
Do you have allot of work outside of lectures?

Finally.. How do you feel your first year has gone (are there any negatives)?

Hi there, the year itself for us ran from the 17th of September, and finished last week, with three weeks off at Christmas and three weeks off at Easter. Primary Edders at St Mary's also get the bonus of having half term off too. This year, we were following a slightly different course outline to what previous Primary Ed students at St Mary's had received. This was to make sure all of the course met the new Teaching Standards requirements and what is expected of teachers within the new curriculum.
The lectures for us were timetabled in two hour slots, either 9-11, 11-1, 2-4, and occasionally 4-6. But to be honest with you, I never had a 4-6 lecture in my entire first year. Some lectures won't take two hours, generally an hour and a half. But some, in particular the core subjects, you will be there for two hours solid.
Our timetable is very different to those studying other courses at St Mary's. It runs on a numbered week basis, so for example, you may only have Art on weeks 10 to 15, and Geography weeks 20 to 25. The timetable will differ week by week. Some weeks you may have a lot more lectures than everyone else, but for a few weeks, I only had three lectures a week. Some weeks you may be in everyday, others only a couple of days.
Our school experience placement took place for 2 days a week for three weeks starting at the end of October, and then a block placement of four weeks that took us up to Christmas. You start off by first observing the classroom and familiarising yourself with the school, then you move on to teaching small groups, then you build on to teaching the whole class. By the time I was teaching whole class, I felt ready, and you will have support from you Class Teacher Mentor with planning and stuff. The most important thing about first year placement is that it is for you as a teacher to gain experience of school life. It is assessed, but the grades from first year will not impact on your degree at all. It's just for you to see what your strengths and weaknesses are. When assessed, it is against the 8 Teaching Standards. Because you are teaching in the run up to Christmas, a lot of it is Christmas related, and it is a lovely time to be in school.
Assignment-wise, we had a small essay set when we arrived, for our Academic Tutors to see how we write academically. Then we had one assignment each for Maths, English and Science, one Expressive Arts assignment for Art, Music and Drama. One 'innovation' assignment for D and T, Geography and ICT. And another assignment for History, RE and ICT. Subjects like PE and MFL were marked through a file that contained material from the lectures, directed tasks etc. English, Maths and the Expressive Arts also required a resource file to be compiled to pass those modules. These again contained lecture notes, articles of interest, lesson plans from placement, directed tasks, etc. The Professional Studies assignment was a group presentation.
My only real negative this year was the time it took to receive some essays back. They should be given back to us before the next one is due in, so we could work on any criticism. This wasn't always the case for us, however as we were on a newly structured course, any teething problems we had, should be altered for the intake in September.
I hope that was helpful and answered all of your questions, if you need anything else just ask :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by LDJK
Are you planning on going there? And if yes (as you don't live far away) will you be living at home?

Hi, it's the only uni I got a place at :frown: so have to go there even though I wanted to move further away from home, however I know it's a good uni so not really too upset. I'd like to live there, because although I live 20 mins away, in the mornings for me to get to college nearby the uni, it takes 45 mind at least with the traffic going into London, so I have applied for accommodation, however when I went for an open day, they said that if the accommodation is oversubscribed they start with people closest to campus and work out not offering places, so I havnt got my hopes up about getting a place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending