The Student Room Group

Exactly where in the chloroplast is NADP reduced?

My text books tell me it is in the stroma but the answer to the exam question said thylakoid membranes...
Reply 1
I wOuldsay the thylakoid membrane that's where the LDR takes place I think?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Geckogirl64
My text books tell me it is in the stroma but the answer to the exam question said thylakoid membranes...

are you sure that's what it says in the textbook? Shouldn't it say reduced NADP is made in non-cyclic phosphorylation, which occurs in the thylakoid membrane? Does it mean that reduced NAD is oxidised to release hydrogen atoms in the stroma for the light independent reaction?
Reply 3
The NADP is reduced at the thylakoid membrane during light-dependent stage whereas the reduced NADP releases back the hydrogen atoms during light-independent stage in the stroma when GP is converted into TP.
yep, having read this... if i sat a-level biology again i'd get a U for sure...

the worst bit? i'm on course for a 2.1 in zoology :moon:
Original post by Geckogirl64

Firstly, for reduction to occur, electrons must be gained. Alternatively, hydrogen can be gained (not just a hydrogen ion, it would need to be a hydrogen ion and electron.)

So, the NADP is reduced by the electrons from the chlorophyll in the light dependant stage and then a H+ ion from the water that breaks down from photolysis also goes towards this forming NADPH (reduced NADP). All this is in the thylakoid membrane.

(p.s. HATE PHOTOSYNTHESIS SOOOO MUCH)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
to summarise what everyone has been saying over and over again: its in the thylakoid membrane.
wow.. u shud really sue the textbook writers
Reply 7
This thread takes me back to my teacher asking the class to cross out like 10 things in our A Level Biology textbooks :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending