The Student Room Group

Wife-beating Saudi man gets 30 lashes

A man in Saudi Arabia who beat up his wife so badly that he left bruises on her face has been sentenced to 30 lashes, ten days of community services and ten days of training on the art of treating women at a specialized institute.

The court in Al Qatif in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia said that the lashes would be given in a public place while community services would be “volunteered” for three hours a day at a hospital in the city of Dammam on the shores of the Arabian Gulf. A report by the hospital manager will be included in the case file to be submitted to the court at the end of the services.

In his verdict, the judge ruled that the accused would sit for a written exam at the end of the training on how a husband should treat his wife, with the final score submitted to the court, local news site Sabq reported on Wednesday.

The case reached the court after the battered wife complained to the police in Al Qatif.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/wife-beating-husband-gets-30-lashes-1.1117591

What would the punishment be if this happened in the UK? A 3 month jail sentence with TV, PS2 and comfort at Her Majesty's pleasure? Or would it be a £100 fine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwomQ7v1bN0

Before you say ''Islam allows the beating of women'', look at the following and re-evaluate your existence. Thank you.

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
70 views & no replies? I guess if I posted a link to an article about a Saudi Muslim man beating his wife (without the legal consequences), there would have been many more replies.
Scar his back, give him access to vulnerable adults then make him write an essay that he most likely won't agree with...

then he goes back to a wife who is too afraid and dependent on him to leave.
Reply 3
Original post by Llamageddon
Scar his back, give him access to vulnerable adults then make him write an essay that he most likely won't agree with...

then he goes back to a wife who is too afraid and dependent on him to leave.

What do you suggest? Giving a man a 6 year prison sentence for gouging his partners eyes out? (happened in the UK). After 6 years, he returns to a free life whilst his victim is blind forever.
Original post by GPODT
What do you suggest? Giving a man a 6 year prison sentence for gouging his partners eyes out? (happened in the UK). After 6 years, he returns to a free life whilst his victim is blind forever.

30 lashes is nothing, he will be up and about after a week probably dishing out a lot harsher "punishment" to his wife. 6 years is far too lenient however i believe you are referring to this case. He wasn't jailed for 6 years he was jailed indefinitely and can be considered for parole after 6 years which he will only receive if he can provide considerable evidence that he has reformed and even then he will be closely watched and any criminal activity will result in him being returned to jail.

Whether Islam allows beating or not can be debated however all Islamic countries would punish such a brutal attack, the problem is this punishment is far too lenient and ineffective. They are basically getting a violent wife beater, humiliating him in public then sending him back to the wife that he will blame for his humiliation. The Saudi legal system continues to be a cautionary tale of how religious beliefs damage society.
Original post by GPODT
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/saudi-arabia/wife-beating-husband-gets-30-lashes-1.1117591

What would the punishment be if this happened in the UK? A 3 month jail sentence with TV, PS2 and comfort at Her Majesty's pleasure? Or would it be a £100 fine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwomQ7v1bN0

Before you say ''Islam allows the beating of women'', look at the following and re-evaluate your existence. Thank you.

The man is obviously a piece of **** but that doesn't mean a medieval punishment is any better.
Reply 6
Original post by Darth Stewie
30 lashes is nothing, he will be up and about after a week probably dishing out a lot harsher "punishment" to his wife. 6 years is far too lenient however i believe you are referring to this case. He wasn't jailed for 6 years he was jailed indefinitely and can be considered for parole after 6 years which he will only receive if he can provide considerable evidence that he has reformed and even then he will be closely watched and any criminal activity will result in him being returned to jail.

Whether Islam allows beating or not can be debated however all Islamic countries would punish such a brutal attack, the problem is this punishment is far too lenient and ineffective. They are basically getting a violent wife beater, humiliating him in public then sending him back to the wife that he will blame for his humiliation. The Saudi legal system continues to be a cautionary tale of how religious beliefs damage society.

30 lashes is too lenient? You won't be saying that if you've been subjected to it and I am pretty sure if his wife complains again then he will face EVEN harsher punishments. Not that I am belittling domestic violence but he hasn't left her with permanent injury (luckily), the article mentions ''bruising''. He is receiving the 30 lashes punishment for bruising his wife. Of course this is still a horrible act but what would an offender in the UK receive as punishment for bruising his wife? My neighbour punched his wife and she was left with a swollen black eye, all he got was a night at the station and a warning on his record. I know this is just anecdotal evidence but I am quite sure that most men avoid jail for assaulting their partners (unless permanent damage has occurred). There was another case where a Saudi man spent 10+ years in prison for assaulting his wife.

I posted this article because there seems to be some misconception on here that in ''Muslim'' countries men can beat their wives senseless without repercussions. Yes this might be the case in lawless areas of Afghanistan/Pakistan where poverty and illiteracy rates are high but not really the case in places like Saudi where there is law and order.
Reply 7
Original post by thunder_chunky
The man is obviously a piece of **** but that doesn't mean a medieval punishment is any better.

I posted this article because there seems to be some misconception on here that in ''Muslim'' countries men can beat their wives senseless without repercussions. Yes this might be the case in lawless areas of Afghanistan/Pakistan where poverty and illiteracy rates are high but not really the case in places like Saudi where there is law and order.
Reply 8
Original post by GPODT

Oh sod off. Prison is not remotely comfortable. You lose your liberty entirely in most circumstances and you end up with a criminal record.

Grand. Islam doesn't allow the beating of women, but it appears the Saudi interpretation of it is completely fine with beating criminals. Spectacular.
Reply 9
Original post by L i b
Oh sod off. Prison is not remotely comfortable. You lose your liberty entirely in most circumstances and you end up with a criminal record.

Grand. Islam doesn't allow the beating of women, but it appears the Saudi interpretation of it is completely fine with beating criminals. Spectacular.

For a crime as serious as domestic abuse, a 3 month stretch inside is really not much at all. Criminals are not daunted by it at all. They only start to get worried once the sentence runs into years. I know guys serving some sentences right now, and they are telling me how Facebook is accessible and what not lol.
Reply 10
Original post by L i b

Yes it is completely fine with beating criminals. I support Saudi on this.
Reply 11
Original post by GPODT
For a crime as serious as domestic abuse, a 3 month stretch inside is really not much at all. Criminals are not daunted by it at all. They only start to get worried once the sentence runs into years. I know guys serving some sentences right now, and they are telling me how Facebook is accessible and what not lol.

Yes, and when your friends are not posturing about how easy is it, do they mention that they've entirely lost the ability to do as the please? That they have to go to bed at a certain time? That even if they are not sacked from their jobs, they will undoubtedly be set back in life by their sentence?

Or do they mention that even a simple glass of beer is impossible? Or that they will have no physical contact with any woman? Or that their days will be purposeless, circular streams of emptiness? Or that they'll be put in with the utter dregs of human society?

You may think a bloody television is the be-all and end-all of life. I used be on a prison visiting committee (who are independent volunteer monitors who can enter prisons and view the conditions inside) for a short period, and I can imagine few worse things than imprisonment.

Original post by GPODT
Yes it is completely fine with beating criminals. I support Saudi on this.

Luckily most of the world has moved on from that.
Reply 12
Original post by L i b
Yes, and when your friends are not posturing about how easy is it, do they mention that they've entirely lost the ability to do as the please? That they have to go to bed at a certain time? That even if they are not sacked from their jobs, they will undoubtedly be set back in life by their sentence?

Or do they mention that even a simple glass of beer is impossible? Or that they will have no physical contact with any woman? Or that their days will be purposeless, circular streams of emptiness? Or that they'll be put in with the utter dregs of human society?

You may think a bloody television is the be-all and end-all of life. I used be on a prison visiting committee (who are independent volunteer monitors who can enter prisons and view the conditions inside) for a short period, and I can imagine few worse things than imprisonment.

Are you seriously suggesting that prison in the UK is a effective punishment for criminals? Sounds like you have far-left ideas. The whole justice system is in the gutter. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2237006/Glasgow-schoolboy-15-killed-fellow-pupil-Euan-Craig-gym-attack-jailed-just-3-half-years.html
Reply 13
Original post by L i b

HAHAHAHAHAA

wait im not done, HAHAHAHAHAHA

are you serious? Prison is Butlins.
Reply 14
Original post by GPODT
x

Yeah you are right. We should totes allow sharia law in the uk because you have shown me how islam is a compassionate and caring religion.
Original post by L i b

To be honest, it doesn't sound that bad that they have to go to bed at a certain time. So do the rest of society, who have work/school/whatever to go to the next morning.
Sure, they might lose their jobs and get set back in their careers while leading purposeless lives with the dregs of society which sounds bad to you or me - but consider the fact that a lot of prisoners would have lived their lives like this anyway - having had no job, or associating with the same type of people in the first place.
And it's not as though going a few months or a couple of years without a beer or without sex is some kind of traumatic experience. Again, plenty of non-prisoners do this as well. Plenty of people even do this out of choice.

What's lucky about it? Besides the standard emotional response of "Corporal punishment is so barbaric and uncivilised"? Sure, this type of punishment may be associated with medieval societies, but that by itself doesn't mean there's something wrong with it. In my view, the appropriateness of a punishment should be based on an objective standard - such as its effectiveness as a deterrent. And given that the majority of prisoners are neither in for their first offence, nor their last offence, I think it does sound as though we do need some alternative to prison.

Besides, it's very compassionate of you to show such concern for these types of criminals, but it's not like they would do the same for you, were the roles reversed.
Why can't we have both? 30 lashes followed by 6 years in prison. This man had a choice on whether to commit the crime so I've no sympathy. If you can't do the time or handle the lashes then don't do the crime, it's simple really.
Original post by tazarooni89
To be honest, it doesn't sound that bad that they have to go to bed at a certain time. So do the rest of society, who have work/school/whatever to go to the next morning.
Sure, they might lose their jobs and get set back in their careers while leading purposeless lives with the dregs of society which sounds bad to you or me - but consider the fact that a lot of prisoners would have lived their lives like this anyway - having had no job, or associating with the same type of people in the first place.
And it's not as though going a few months or a couple of years without a beer or without sex is some kind of traumatic experience. Again, plenty of non-prisoners do this as well. Plenty of people even do this out of choice.

What's lucky about it? Besides the standard emotional response of "Corporal punishment is so barbaric and uncivilised"? Sure, this type of punishment may be associated with medieval societies, but that by itself doesn't mean there's something wrong with it. In my view, the appropriateness of a punishment should be based on an objective standard - such as its effectiveness as a deterrent. And given that the majority of prisoners are neither in for their first offence, nor their last offence, I think it does sound as though we do need some alternative to prison.

Besides, it's very compassionate of you to show such concern for these types of criminals, but it's not like they would do the same for you, were the roles reversed.

Well said.
Reply 18
Yes, lashings upon lashings!

I personally think that we should have the stocks back tbh. People in our society wouldn't go back to being crooks if they got tomatoed in public on live TV!

Maybe lock em in the stocks and tickle their feet for an hour?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Hooj
Yes, lashings upon lashings!

I personally think that we should have the stocks back tbh. People in our society wouldn't go back to being crooks if they got tomatoed in public on live TV!

Maybe lock em in the stocks and tickle their feet for an hour?

Thank **** you arent dictator!

Quick Reply

Latest